Sirius/XM to file for Chapter 11

when you pay a dude a half a billion over 5 years....and he brings in like 1/4 of the listeners they thought he would, you're in trouble.

doesn't surprise me either.

Pretty much. Plus O&A and Jimmy Norton are way better, they should can Howard.

Also, the merger and changes have annoyed me. Them dropping Fungus really pissed me off.

I bet all of this happened because of them replacing Fungus with a shitty ACDC station.

I wouldn't underestimate that, I mean XM/Sirius if for people who don't like terrestrial radio, those are the people who love stations like Fungus. You start to remove those and you start to lose a lot of people.

i never understood why, if people have an ipod with all thier favorite music that you can easily make into playlists, they would want to pay for satellite radio.

unless it was to listen to talk shows.

My ipod probably isn't going to expose me to music that I've never heard before. Satellite radio managed to do just that for me when I had it. I promptly ditched it the day fungus was taken off the air. Sucks too, because I could listen to NHL games on satellite.

i never understood why, if people have an ipod with all thier favorite music that you can easily make into playlists, they would want to pay for satellite radio.

unless it was to listen to talk shows.

My ipod probably isn't going to expose me to music that I've never heard before. Satellite radio managed to do just that for me when I had it. I promptly ditched it the day fungus was taken off the air. Sucks too, because I could listen to NHL games on satellite.

point taken!

i tend to find new music perusing myspace, blogs etc.

point taken!

i tend to find new music perusing myspace, blogs etc.

I do that, too, but there's always some out there that you might have missed. And their ska show, skanarhea or however it's spelled, was so great. They'd play those old ska bands that I'd forgotten existed. It tended to be worth the twelve bucks a month after a couple hours in the car.

It really is a bummer that they couldn't have pulled this off cause it really was a great service with cool features. I loved findi g new music on alternative stations listen to Red Sox games half way across the country and the artist alerts were pretty badass. They should focus their business plan going fforward to provide audio feeds to mobile devices.

End rant

I got pissed when Sirius added the punk channel, then suddenly it was "temporarily" 24/7 ACDC. How much effen ACDC can you really play for like 4 months? Then they got rid of it all together and now I think its some college music channel. Vomit

Plus they screwed me on a replacement when mine stopped working. You can get an upgrade and none of your compatible stuff will work, or wait 3 months for a replacement of the same model.

isn't sirius standard on chrysler/jeep/etc cars?

if so, lol @ one of the big three being screwed over in another way.

It came on my dad's jeep, but not my wrangler (nothing comes on a wrangler). I didn't like his though because it didn't display the song and artist, and I could have 30 pre-sets and I'm not sure if you can when it's in the radio, it was a pain to deal with. Whereas my ginormous window mounted thing was easy to see and mess with.

But I still don't like Sirius. jerks

This doesn't look to be the end of the service, Chapter 11 provides for reorganization, not liquidation like Chapter 7.

I was going to say the same thing.

I've had Sirius since before Stern came on and he's brought millions of subscribers to the service.

I think that the future isn't in the satellites, but the internet.

Satellites are expensive, internet bandwidth is cheap.

You can stream Sirius and right now there is an iFone app to listen to Sirius/XM from the internet. Plug an AUX in of your car radio, or use an FM transmitter, no need for equipment.

People could then access the broadcasts with equipment and services they already own and pay for and with the high-overhead out of the way, charge less per month.

Obviously this would be more of a long term strategy.