Why does anyone still use United?

numanoid

Seriously...

Bands, labels, PLEASE stop using United!

I can't count the number of times I've put on a brand new black vinyl record and it's as noisy as something that's been played 50 times. If it's not pressed off center or warped, that is...

If you don't care about sound quality, then what's the point? A little extra money can get you virgin vinyl that sounds good from somewhere else.

Specifically, I put on my Wavves "Weed Demon" 7-inch for the first time today. It's kind of a quiet track, and all you hear is surface noise, lots and lots of it.

The off center pressing was the Rob's House Records release with Gentleman Jesse, The Carbonas, etc. It's pressed so far off center that it's unlisteneable. It's the one on white, I'm not sure if the black ones are better, but it shouldn't matter. They should be able do load the stampers in the center of the press!

Just about every "standard weight" pressing that comes from them is warped in some way, usually a concave warp from not being cooled correctly or something.

But even if everything else is perfect, there is always a shitload of surface noise, especially on their "trash color vinyl". It really is trash... it's the leftover scraps from all of the other color pressings. And it sounds like it.

The warping comes from the way they ship the records to you.

NOT double boxed.

We have used

Musicol

United

Pirates press

Record pressing.com

For the price united is the best deal. Don't like the way it sounds? Get you record cut at aardvark or lucky laquers.

When we do put out another record we will be using dave @ lucky for cuting and pressing.

Musicol kinda takes forever but is often cheaper then united.

Its honestly a matter of what your looking for.

Specifically, I put on my Wavves "Weed Demon" 7-inch for the first time today. It's kind of a quiet track, and all you hear is surface noise, lots and lots of it.

The off center pressing was the Rob's House Records release with Gentleman Jesse, The Carbonas, etc. It's pressed so far off center that it's unlisteneable. It's the one on white, I'm not sure if the black ones are better, but it shouldn't matter. They should be able do load the stampers in the center of the press!

Just about every "standard weight" pressing that comes from them is warped in some way, usually a concave warp from not being cooled correctly or something.

But even if everything else is perfect, there is always a shitload of surface noise, especially on their "trash color vinyl". It really is trash... it's the leftover scraps from all of the other color pressings. And it sounds like it.

That's why when you talk to them they don't really suggest pressing on their lowest cost records. I talked to them the other day and they say upgrading to 140g is definitely the way to go. If the labels choose to be cheaper they run their own risks.There are alot of factors that go into this honestly.

That's why when you talk to them they don't really suggest pressing on their lowest cost records. I talked to them the other day and they say upgrading to 140g is definitely the way to go. If the labels choose to be cheaper they run their own risks.There are alot of factors that go into this honestly.

140g is an upgrade? that's standard for most plants.

i can't remember which, but i know i have some pretty bad united presses. some really big releases too.

does cobraside use united?

140g is an upgrade? that's standard for most plants.

i can't remember which, but i know i have some pretty bad united presses. some really big releases too.

does cobraside use united?

Yeah I know it's standard most places but 140g is still only $.90 a records, they just offer a lesser gram version for $.86. I really don't know if I have any records from United or not. I wouldn't know.

The warping comes from the way they ship the records to you.

NOT double boxed.

We have used

Musicol

United

Pirates press

Record pressing.com

For the price united is the best deal. Don't like the way it sounds? Get you record cut at aardvark or lucky laquers.

When we do put out another record we will be using dave @ lucky for cuting and pressing.

Musicol kinda takes forever but is often cheaper then united.

Its honestly a matter of what your looking for.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

When I got mine pressed, I did the 140 gram upgrade. And they still managed to screw up my pressing. Now everytime I put on a record that sounds bad or is warped, I can look at the matrix number and it's almost always a "U" number.

And I think the fact that they are willing to press at a lower weight is just so they can blame their shitty quality on the fact that you didn't pay an extra four cents per record for the heavier weight.

Aardvark is a good option, but that only takes care of the plating. The vinyl is still going to be dirty, and they're still going to press things off center, and they're still going to warp your records one way or another.

This is more of a cautionary post, I guess.

I'm going on record saying that I've had nothing but good experiences with United and in the 2000s the vinyl quality got better than in the 1990s and earlier. Some of that noise could be due to crappy mastering/cutting. DON'T use thier in-house mastering, get it done somewhere else to cut down on potential crappy quality.

My last 3 releases (jfa/faction, government issue and the cheifs) I had cut by Richard Simpson and pressed at United and they turned out beautifully and sounded great.

Zac is correct, you don't have to look very hard to find someone who had a bad experience at every single plant around. Mistakes can happen everywhere. If a label gets their records and they are all off-center, they should have tried to work it out with the plant to have the mistake corrected instead of just releasing the faulty vinyl.

When I do another release, I will likely use Unilted again, unless Pirates can offer me enough of an attractive incentive to use them and pay the extra money it would cost me.

I was initially going to be using Lucky Laquers for the mastering but since the record I'm doing is about 20min a side and United only guarantees up to 18mins a side, I'm considering letting them do the masters/laquers. At United they said if there was any problems with the mastering and all that on their end, if I use them they will redo all the work for free. If I get it done somewhere else I have to go back and work with the outside place and pay again. Considering this is my first record I was just planning on playing it safe and letting them do everything.