Obligatory 'bitching about record prices' thread

I don't usually complain about this kind of stuff, but I just went to pre-order the new Irepress LP from Translation Loss, and they want fucking $45 for the record + Intl shipping. Now, I know for a fact that shipping to Australia costs $12-$14, so why are they charging us $20 on top of the US price?

And it's not just TL, I've noticed other labels have been gradually increasing the price of Intl record purchases. Where once we'd just pay the US price plus extra shipping, now many seem to have a 'special total' for Intl orders (usually $20-odd more), and many tack on extra shipping on top of that.

Seriously, this is nothing but a blatant money gouge. Now, I know, I know, 'if you don't like it, don't buy it', but shit like this (particularly for what seems to be just a standard release, nothing fancy) is honestly pretty cynical, and will result in a situation where foreigners simply won't be able to buy from US labels.

I know you Canadian folks are hurting over this, too.

Thoughts/insults/complaints/negative karma?

That definitely sucks. But do you know what else sucks? Every American band reissuing their albums in Australia, UK, and Japan with bonus tracks that can only be found on those releases.

WTF? Why do I have to pay $30 for to hear a bonus track from a band that lives the state over from me?

That definitely sucks. But do you know what else sucks? Every American band reissuing their albums in Australia, UK, and Japan with bonus tracks that can only be found on those releases.

WTF? Why do I have to pay $30 for to hear a bonus track from a band that lives the state over from me?

They do that as a "thanks" (sort of) for supporting them through higher prices overseas.

I think it is because if they have shipping through paypal atleast the cheapest shipping they have has some kind of delivery confirmation,tracking number,or w/e...

and it is not cheap to send outside the US via pay pal

I don't blame them,I mean yeah it sucks but if you cant have a way to confirm that the package got delivered then they are asking to get raped.

$20 more for international shipping is a bit much if the $25 already included domestic shipping. However, international shipping is a pain in the ass these days. For domestic stuff you can print the postage at home. International requires filling out a customs form and standing in line at the post office unless you're using express mail. Maybe $15 extra would be more accurate.

I don't usually complain about this kind of stuff, but I just went to pre-order the new Irepress LP from Translation Loss, and they want fucking $45 for the record + Intl shipping. Now, I know for a fact that shipping to Australia costs $12-$14, so why are they charging us $20 on top of the US price?

And it's not just TL, I've noticed other labels have been gradually increasing the price of Intl record purchases. Where once we'd just pay the US price plus extra shipping, now many seem to have a 'special total' for Intl orders (usually $20-odd more), and many tack on extra shipping on top of that.

Seriously, this is nothing but a blatant money gouge. Now, I know, I know, 'if you don't like it, don't buy it', but shit like this (particularly for what seems to be just a standard release, nothing fancy) is honestly pretty cynical, and will result in a situation where foreigners simply won't be able to buy from US labels.

I know you Canadian folks are hurting over this, too.

Thoughts/insults/complaints/negative karma?

i pointed this out in the Irepress thread, if you want the record, shipping is 7 dollars on amazon.com :)

one of the reasons vinyl was more appealing to me was because i could buy a new record for cheaper than a cd. sucks now that new records cost as much, if not more than new cds.

i've noticed this, when an album is a single lp with nothing special going on i do think it should cost as much if not less than the cd, though i've noticed cd prices dropping substantially as of late......

i have no problem paying 15-20 dollars for a double lp, especially if it is on heavy shit.

what upsets me is when records are seriously overpriced based on hype, it's like a double fuck you to fans for creating hype and wanting the album.