Remember when everyone was talking about

daniel

record collecting becoming a fad that's going to drop out as fast as it picked up? Maybe they were right. :-X

I can't afford this at all, I'm about to go to college, and irresponsible spending has put me in a tough situation.

Anyone else ever feel the pressure to just give up collecting cold turkey? It seems that with the economy in the shape it's in, it must be happening a lot. Unfortunately for poor saps like me, it's a sellers marker atm.

I don't think you have to spend irresponsibly to buy records

For sure. My collection is worth at least double, maybe triple what I put into it.

If I were you I'd just keep all your record money in a pool if you want to keep it going. Only trade records, or buy them with money you've made selling old ones.

problem is people are treating them like baseball cards or some shit... i mean look at the "for sale" lists... every one of them is like 85% multiple colors of records that were overhyped. You don't have to buy every release that comes out.. and thats the problem.. i can gaurantee almost all of the shit going up for sale has never been played... and was purchased because the person thought it was going to quadruple in value. Too many people view it as a contest.. the attitude of "i can never have a complete collection so i'm gonna sell off all the rest of it" is pretty retarded.. its like you didn't even care about the band to begin with.

I've been buying less recently, not because of the "recession" or anything like that. i am just trying to put away as much money as possible into my savings/ really just want to focus on my At The Drive-In collection. which isnt anywhere near where it should be. so i figure if i drop $50 on 1 record i really really want is better than $50 on 3 random records i dig

problem is people are treating them like baseball cards or some shit... i mean look at the "for sale" lists... every one of them is like 85% multiple colors of records that were overhyped. You don't have to buy every release that comes out.. and thats the problem.. i can gaurantee almost all of the shit going up for sale has never been played... and was purchased because the person thought it was going to quadruple in value. Too many people view it as a contest.. the attitude of "i can never have a complete collection so i'm gonna sell off all the rest of it" is pretty retarded.. its like you didn't even care about the band to begin with.

I got sucked in to that mindset a bit with Gaslight and have been doing my best to extricate myself from it.

At one point I was trying to start an Alkaline Trio collection, but I just didn't realize how daunting it was, so I sold what I had, same happened with some other bands, and I think that's the case for many people.

By no means is it that I don't care about the band, far from it, it's just I'd rather do something else with the cash it would take to put together an Alkaline Trio collection.

I went a little crazy when I joined VC and got caught up the hype of a lot of releases. I am guilty of having a sale list like flood mentioned. It got the better of me.

Now I'm taking travis' approach...buying less...if something comes up that I really, really want, I'll get it. But otherwise, I'm gonna be A LOT more selective of what I'll get betting. But I know I'll never stop altogether...I grew up with the format around me and got deep into it when I found hardcore and punk in my youngin' years.

All true, but I think there's also another reason. The limitedness of some/most releases can cause a person to buy a record before knowing if he/she likes it enough in the first place. Lets say a certain record comes out by a band you've never heard of before. You take a listen and you enjoy it, but aren't quite sure. It happens to me alot that I really get into an album a few months after buying it, and it grows on me to the point I want to get every variant available (or just the single limited version) just because I find it so amazing. Lately however you have to decide how much you like it in a couple of days, a bunch of releases are sold out after that short period. Which is again due to the hype generated. I guess that's why 50% of those copies end up on a for sale list in a matter of weeks. Everyone just want to secure a copy, then decide if they actually want it. That, or making a quick couple bucks.

I completed my gaslight collection, then decided the money I just spent on getting there could have been better spent elsewhere, so I'm bailing on it, partying ways with most of it and putting the money back towards some photography and screen printing stuff I could really use and actually use it. It's not to say that I haven't spun most of my records, just no point in 8 sink or swims with more on the way I'm sure. I'm not out of the collecting game though, just gonna keep it small for now, like my look mexico collection, which I'm pretty pumped on!

I just gave some variants to my friend for his birthday, I just hope they went to a good home. most package deals I like to get if I'm not sure what color I'll like more. I normally don't care about which color is more limited but it's kinda cool to get the VC exclusive colors :)

when I have no money, I don't buy records. I hold out and hope most of those limited ones are still available. just have to spend wisely to keep collecting. I can definitely understand slowing down but not stopping altogether. don't give up!

Guest genericinsight

I don't believe in this topic, at all. I've been collecting and buying records since 1996 and yes, I go through slumps/periods/phases where I buy very few to none at all for a while, but I never truly stop. I find it hard to believe that nobody else goes through this.

edit: didn't read this thread fully, but kudos/ditto to everything xxmartinxx said. Buy records because you love music and you'll never burn out on it.

I never got too caught up in variants (besides my 3 favorite bands) but lately i have been selling most of the doubles/variants/tests i have and have made a shit ton of cash. Its been nice buying a bunch of new shit with all the extra money.

But i started buying records when i was about 15 (13 years ago) and went through many dry spells during High school and college where i only bought a few records a year. I have been buying alot more over the last couple years but there is no reason you cant take a break every once in a while.

And just think, once you you graduate, get a job and have money all those expensive variants you wanted will be 1/8th of the price they once were.

I've cut back massively because a) I was buying too many, and B) the Aus dollar is in the toilet and I'm now paying twice as much per record. Basically, that means only buying releases you really really want, and cutting back on variants. I have a major space problem as well which doesn't help. I basically need to sell/shift about 100 or so records, but it's hard to offload stuff in Aus and whatnot.