gay marriage

I'm sure this has been discussed before but the debate is happening again in california. I'm not gay but actually nothing pisses me off more than people who don't want gay marriagel. Jesus fucking christ #1 it should be their right but more importantly #2 who gives a shit? it doesn't affect you!.

sorry for rant

yeah this is a frustrating thing, but living in United States of bible thumping hillbillies it is the unfortunate place we're living in. I'd say 90% of the people that are against it have committed adultery and broke almost every moral code their bullshit religion has set up, but they ignorantly complain and/or go out an protest against this. It's ridiculous.

My brother is gay and I have a bunch of gay friends and it comes up in passive conversation quite a bit.

Regardless, marriage is a religious institution, I've already told my parents that when I ever do get married it won't be in a church and I'm just going to pay for a friend to be ordained from one of those stupid online churches that really has no rhyme or reason and certainly isn't Christianity based. This upset them a lot because as "the straight son" I was my parents only shot at the big church wedding...so they lost that argument.

yeah this is a frustrating thing, but living in United States of bible thumping hillbillies it is the unfortunate place we're living in. I'd say 90% of the people that are against it have committed adultery and broke almost every moral code their bullshit religion has set up, but they ignorantly complain and/or go out an protest against this. It's ridiculous.

My brother is gay and I have a bunch of gay friends and it comes up in passive conversation quite a bit.

Regardless, marriage is a religious institution, I've already told my parents that when I ever do get married it won't be in a church and I'm just going to pay for a friend to be ordained from one of those stupid online churches that really has no rhyme or reason and certainly isn't Christianity based. This upset them a lot because as "the straight son" I was my parents only shot at the big church wedding...so they lost that argument.

i was gonna take that exact route myself.. no church wedding for me. get married in a hall and just have good music and friends.. oh and food and beer too.

I don't even know why the fuck this is a matter of debate when there are far more pressing issues at hand. It's a waste of time and money. On one side, you have people that support a straight couples right to get divorced more than a gay couple's right to marry, and on the other side, you have people who want the same legal status for themselves.

FAIR ENOUGH. I guess the federal government needs to step in just enough to say "if someone is married in one state, it is to be recognized in every state." That would be a huge step, because it would eliminate all of the bullshit that comes along with people's status being different in different juris dictions. It'd be that much easier for gay couples to win court cases everywhere that way.

It'd be a fucking boon to Michigan's economy to raise the price of marriage licenses, eliminate the residency requirement, and legalize gay marriage. Open up a whole gay-marriage tourism industry. Straight couples already flock to Toledo, OH because there's no residency requirement. Think of the money to be made! The state gets a chunk in fees and taxes, flower shops and rental halls and hotels and bakeries and caterers all see a sudden jump in business, as every gay couple in the midwest and beyond flocks here to have their ceremony performed.

steven tangent for governer

I don't even know why the fuck this is a matter of debate when there are far more pressing issues at hand. It's a waste of time and money. On one side, you have people that support a straight couples right to get divorced more than a gay couple's right to marry, and on the other side, you have people who want the same legal status for themselves.

FAIR ENOUGH. I guess the federal government needs to step in just enough to say "if someone is married in one state, it is to be recognized in every state." That would be a huge step, because it would eliminate all of the bullshit that comes along with people's status being different in different juris dictions. It'd be that much easier for gay couples to win court cases everywhere that way.

It'd be a fucking boon to Michigan's economy to raise the price of marriage licenses, eliminate the residency requirement, and legalize gay marriage. Open up a whole gay-marriage tourism industry. Straight couples already flock to Toledo, OH because there's no residency requirement. Think of the money to be made! The state gets a chunk in fees and taxes, flower shops and rental halls and hotels and bakeries and caterers all see a sudden jump in business, as every gay couple in the midwest and beyond flocks here to have their ceremony performed.

steven tangent for governer

i'll vote for you. but only if you serve good beer and have strippers at your inauguration ball. with elvis costello singing of course.. if he's not available then Dire Straits.

This thread needs a Shook Ones quote, stat!

Lyrics from the song Order Form:

"This was the year when the courts made the decision to add some years to our wait.

And how can we not, when forbidden bedfellows got together to make sure girls who love girls and boys who love boys won't have the same right that they give bigots and murderers.

Now, I'm not trying to make you sad, but that's a right I don't want to have have at all. I'm sorry that's a right I don't want to have. I don't want to have. No. I don't want to have. No, the wait won't be bad. No, the wait won't be bad. Keep this as an I.O.U. On a day with downed power I'm just thinking of ways I can sleep better at night-and I'll always be sleeping next to you. I'm not changing the world, I know. I'm just doing what I think is right, and when the laws change so will the way we pay our taxes. I'm just doing what I think is right"

My feeling is that although "marriage" is technically a religious institution I don't see why this has any influence on marriages that take place outside of the church. Any man and woman can walk down to a courthouse and get married legally, there no religious implications involved in this act and therefore there is no reason for gay people to not have this same right. The fact that most political leaders opposse gay marriage based on religious beliefs is insane because of the (alleged) seperation of church and state. In my eyes people who opposse gay marriage because of "religious beliefs" are just finding an excuse to continue being homophobic.

im a christian and i think banning gay marriage is fucking stupid.

It's because you're a decent human being. It's too bad the shitty Christians get all the press.

Of course. The shitty everything gets all the press. You never see like smart black people on the news talking about the leprechaun in the tree, it's always the dumb ghetto ass people. You know damn well there are plenty of black people in Mobile that are just like "quit smoking crack, there's no such thing as leprechauns."

I'm a Christian too and I can't think of one reason why gay people shouldn't be allowed to get married. I do like the argument that if we let this happen, soon we'll have people marrying goats and pigs. That's entertainment right there.

My feeling is that although "marriage" is technically a religious institution I don't see why this has any influence on marriages that take place outside of the church.

While I know you don't agree with its banishment I want to address this point.

Firstly, its not true; marriage in its current form is not a religious institution. You do not have to get married in a church, synagogue, or mosque. You can get married in City Hall. Second, marriage gains you tax benefits/changes. Both of these things make marriage a state institution not a religious one. At that point, its completely 100% unconstitutional to deny marriage to anyone trying to marry another human.

So at that point these nut-bag religious folks have two choices: Grant "marriage" to everyone or revoke marriage from everyone. I personally like the idea of a civil union for everyone and making marriage a religious thing your place of worship would do, or something like that. I know specifically my rabbi will actually do marriages of gay/lesbian couples.

My feeling is that although "marriage" is technically a religious institution I don't see why this has any influence on marriages that take place outside of the church.

While I know you don't agree with its banishment I want to address this point.

Firstly, its not true; marriage in its current form is not a religious institution. You do not have to get married in a church, synagogue, or mosque. You can get married in City Hall. Second, marriage gains you tax benefits/changes. Both of these things make marriage a state institution not a religious one. At that point, its completely 100% unconstitutional to deny marriage to anyone trying to marry another human.

So at that point these nut-bag religious folks have two choices: Grant "marriage" to everyone or revoke marriage from everyone. I personally like the idea of a civil union for everyone and making marriage a religious thing your place of worship would do, or something like that. I know specifically my rabbi will actually do marriages of gay/lesbian couples.

Thanks for clearing that up.

All I really meant by that was that to my knowledge the concept of "marriage," or at very least the term itself, came from a religious backgroud and this is soemthing they try to use as some sort of basis for their fucked up logic.

Sooooo.....Let's say I created a religion that allowed gay people to marry, like it's in our Tible (It will be our Bible/Torah hybrid). By banning gay marriage, is the government infringing on my religious belief?

Unfortuantly not. I read an article in the NY Times recently and it talked about how a small religious group was not allowed to display a statue of their god because it offended the dominant religion of the area. This happened in Utah, but the Supreme Court upheld it.