the wonders of USPS - valentines day edition

flood

so i got a message from a friend who i sent a large package of records to about 2 weeks ago.. he hadn't gotten them yet... and everything else i sent out the same day reached its destination already.. including overseas customers. and i couldnt find the damn delivery confirm slips.. so i finally found them last nite.. and see that the package was delivered earlier in the week.

i message my friend.. who let me know he got them... the postman left them on the ground next to the mail box... while it was snowing.. and they were buried in the snow for a couple days.... luckily i had polybagged the records.. but seriously... wtf?

Yeah, that's real fucked. My mailman is normally cool about walking records to the door and bagging them when the weather is bad. I was going to leave him a couple nice bills at Christmas for dealing with all the records until he ruined it for himself by throwing a rather large package of them on my doorstep while I was at home just a couple weeks before Christmas (I'm normally working when stuff comes). That kind of pissed me off enough to not leave much. I don't start giving people shitty service at work just because they keep asking for more coffee or I think they're paying attention.

I realize this kind of makes me sound like an asshole, but I have issues with people just simply not doing their jobs. Can he not spare the two extra seconds to set down something marked as 'fragile'?

My mailman throws the record mailers on a bench that we have in our front porch.

I'd like to figure out a way to hint at him to not be a douche about it but still be nice. Any suggestions?

I'd tell him straight up, look I collect these records and they have to be in mint condition.

Do you always have the same mailman? A Christmas tip would be nice.

6 pack of beer is sweet.

I was going to leave him a couple nice bills at Christmas for dealing with all the records

Someone once told me it's illegal to tip a mailman, that they can't accept it. Anyone know if this is true?

That could be the case. But like many professions where they're not supposed to accept tips, they usually do and a small gesture goes a long way. I've had jobs where I wasn't supposed to accept a tip. I'd play the whole "oh, thanks, but I can't..." and the person would insist. I'd just say "ok, but this is our little secret [wink, wink]."

I was going to leave him a couple nice bills at Christmas for dealing with all the records

Someone once told me it's illegal to tip a mailman, that they can't accept it. Anyone know if this is true?

Interesting. I'd believe this because they definitely get paid a high enough wage so that tipping probably isn't allowed. If it is true, I have had some badass rebel mailmen who take the money anyways.

I had a guy through a $10 bill at me after a meeting, he told me to go get a 12 pack.... He said I was gonna need it after putting up with his wife bitching at me. After work I used it to buy beer. He was right.

What line of work are you in Seth?

I work for a small land survey firm. I do subdivisions, site plans, and subsurface system designs... Mostly drafting, hence I'm on the computer most of the time. Dealing with people sucks

• 1 month later...