how do you explain to people...

all of my friends have iPod but i haven't.

i love some feeling of sound that you can hear it from vinyl only.

iPod or any mp3or4 player is easy to carry but it will gone someday...like we ever have MD.

tell 'em you must try with yourself.

anyway,i think good quality amplifier is an important thing that will make they easy to understand how difference....

Guest Admin

It is a tough thing to put into words, but you can always play someone a record and then put it next to something you have on Itunes. For me, when I get the vinyl back from something I also put out on CD, the difference is so noticeable. I guess it takes a little bit of faith on the listener.

I would like to think when someone hears digital vs vinyl, there will be no denying.

For me, listening to vinyl is more of a respect for the album and the hard work that went into putting it together. It forces me to pay attention to the music as opposed to just hitting shuffle play on a list of like 10,000 songs or something. I always feel like I am hearing the album as it was intended to be heard. In the end, I always get more out of it.

The truth is (this has been studied time and time again), if you blindfold a person and play them the same songs on a CD, a vinyl record and a normal-bias cassette, then ask them which sounds best, they almost always choose the cassette.

I know that's shocking, but it makes sense actually. The CD has good highs but almost no lows. The LP has good lows and mids but bad highs. The cassette is just about middle-of-the road on everything, and to most people mediocrity in sound is a good thing. Everything's pretty even and they like the sound of it.

Personally, I like the sound of vinyl, but I'm not going to say I can hear enormous differences anymore. CD sound quality has improved a lot in the last 15 years, and DVD audio is really quite good. I also used to buy records because they were half the price of CDs and I refused, knowing what I do about the music industry's price gouging scam in the early 90s and the false advertising for CDs (basically that you should pay more because it sounds so much better -- a bunch of bull), to pay more for less. I continue buying records because they are a better deal all around. While records cost a lot more than they used to, you still get pretty good packaging in most cases, attention to aesthetics and sound quality, and something that will at the very least hold its value. I get a kick out of people selling "collector's " or "limited edition" CDs.

Not to mention, come to my house, look at my record collection, then tell me I don't have something a lot cooler than some dude with a ring binder full of CDs he won't like in 6 months.

i agree with roadmonkey too.

i have many friends who love to stick his/her ears with iPod phone all the times.

i ever ask 'em have you ever listen to all the songs on your iPod.

no one ever do it !

for me,i always think carefully before put my vinyl on the player.

and when my favourite track will starting...i always concentrate to listen that track.....

...it's my sweet time....

The SACD of Dark Side of the Moon is amazing, but I wasn't blown away by the DVD-A of Kind of Blue or Shape of Punk to Come. Those are the only 3 I've tried. My new DVD player plays SACD and DVD-A so I gave those few a shot.

I wouldn't bother w/ picking up anything in those formats again though.

I agree that 128kps iTunes mp4s sound like ass, esp on anything other than earbuds.

For headphones, CDs and higher bitrate mp3s sound fine to me w/ headphones or in the car or something.

Honestly, I don't have much time to listen to stuff at home as much these days, so I don't even listen to too much of my vinyl except when I make a specific effort to drag something out.

A lot of times when I do though, I'm impressed by how great it sounds on vinyl and sometimes I'll pick up on something that I hadn't really heard before.

Hey oakland, I love this line you wrote at the end of your post:

"Not to mention, come to my house, look at my record collection, then tell me I don't have something a lot cooler than some dude with a ring binder full of CDs he won't like in 6 months. "

It's so true, there's just something about the physical record itself that makes it so intriguing, much more than CDs or Mp3s for that matter, could ever hold a candle to.

• 7 months later...
The truth is (this has been studied time and time again), if you blindfold a person and play them the same songs on a CD, a vinyl record and a normal-bias cassette, then ask them which sounds best, they almost always choose the cassette.

I know that's shocking, but it makes sense actually. The CD has good highs but almost no lows. The LP has good lows and mids but bad highs. The cassette is just about middle-of-the road on everything, and to most people mediocrity in sound is a good thing. Everything's pretty even and they like the sound of it.

Personally, I like the sound of vinyl, but I'm not going to say I can hear enormous differences anymore. CD sound quality has improved a lot in the last 15 years, and DVD audio is really quite good. I also used to buy records because they were half the price of CDs and I refused, knowing what I do about the music industry's price gouging scam in the early 90s and the false advertising for CDs (basically that you should pay more because it sounds so much better -- a bunch of bull), to pay more for less. I continue buying records because they are a better deal all around. While records cost a lot more than they used to, you still get pretty good packaging in most cases, attention to aesthetics and sound quality, and something that will at the very least hold its value. I get a kick out of people selling "collector's " or "limited edition" CDs.

Not to mention, come to my house, look at my record collection, then tell me I don't have something a lot cooler than some dude with a ring binder full of CDs he won't like in 6 months.

I'm with you completely. I'll just add I find it very hard to accept someone can hear the difference on a normal stereo between 400 kbp/s digital mp3/4 and a record.

I like everything about records better but I can't play them in my car so digital is a must, hence the iMic. I don't think I lose a ton of quality during the switch, especially considering I'm playing it on a car stereo. A good car stereo but still with all the road noise, etc I don't think it matters.

For me, listening to vinyl is more of a respect for the album and the hard work that went into putting it together. It forces me to pay attention to the music as opposed to just hitting shuffle play on a list of like 10,000 songs or something. I always feel like I am hearing the album as it was intended to be heard. In the end, I always get more out of it.

Spoken like a champ.

I'm with you completely. I'll just add I find it very hard to accept someone can hear the difference on a normal stereo between 400 kbp/s digital mp3/4 and a record.

I like everything about records better but I can't play them in my car so digital is a must, hence the iMic. I don't think I lose a ton of quality during the switch, especially considering I'm playing it on a car stereo. A good car stereo but still with all the road noise, etc I don't think it matters.

You could always get an iVinyl

It's really hard for the average user to tell the difference, a lot of folks will argue that vinyl isn't better unless you have a very expensive sound system.

The "warmer" argument isn't a very good one and a lot of audiophiles will laugh at that. Google around and you will find some excellent discussions on the juicy details.

i just break multiple copies of "Whipped Cream & Other Delights" by Herp Alpert & The Tijuana Brass over their head.

Then I snap CDs in jewel cases over their head.

Ask them which one hurts more.

Don't be breaking Herp Alpert records man, those are awesome.

DUDE!!!! I have a small Herp ALpert collection! only about 6 lps i think. once i upload my pics i'll show it off.

for me Ben is right...i love just looking through the records i have. my collection is small. i started "collecting" not long after i got into "punk". and i've only ever bought bands i was really into and truly loved. all those records...all the ones you bust your chops to track down make it worth it. how many people do you know have passion for collecting cds? yea theyre sure hard to come buy...

i actually tried explaining why the sound is better to my friend at work the other day. i think the slight fuzz or whatever you want to call it makes it feel alive. you don't feel like it's so over produced. it feels like something much more intimate that us music junkies appreciate. it's like i told a lady at work...i'm like a heroin junkie when it comes to music - always searching around for the next fix. it feels soooo good.