Photos of Alkaline Trio Goddamint (explanation)

Guest admin1338560633

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If people wouldn't put so much energy into buying so many copies of the same stupid record you guys wouldn't get so pissy all the time when it comes to these re-releases. Stop being so overly anal about collecting every single record some shitty band puts out. Then you can put your energy into buying vinyl from other bands you like and you can even discover other good bands. Don't get me wrong, this is a cool forum with cool people, but sometimes when I look at people's lists and see they have lots and lots of records but really only have a bunch of variations of a few records I can't help but think it's pretty fucking stupid. Also, the ~$100 or so it'll take to collect all variations of this repress can go towards a pretty good phono stage, or it's 1/4 of a brand new Rega P1 or 1/3 of a decent set of speakers, etc. The point is, if people didn't spend so much money on one record they could buy more records or get some decent gear and realize how fucking GOOD records actually sound. Also, in the end, if you don't care about having all the variations, stupid shit like this wouldn't bother you. Labels do what they can to break even, because its pretty fucking hard to do so, especially pressing vinyl. They want to move copies of this record, not placate a few anal nerds on some messageboard. Thats just my opinion.

There goes my karma.

If people wouldn't put so much energy into buying so many copies of the same stupid record you guys wouldn't get so pissy all the time when it comes to these re-releases. Stop being so overly anal about collecting every single record some shitty band puts out. Then you can put your energy into buying vinyl from other bands you like and you can even discover other good bands. Don't get me wrong, this is a cool forum with cool people, but sometimes when I look at people's lists and see they have lots and lots of records but really only have a bunch of variations of a few records I can't help but think it's pretty fucking stupid. Also, the ~$100 or so it'll take to collect all variations of this repress can go towards a pretty good phono stage, or it's 1/4 of a brand new Rega P1 or 1/3 of a decent set of speakers, etc. The point is, if people didn't spend so much money on one record they could buy more records or get some decent gear and realize how fucking GOOD records actually sound. Thats just my opinion.

There goes my karma.

i dunno, i think its perfectly healthy to collect 1 or 2 of your favorite bands....sometimes i dont get people buying every variant of what seems like every release....but i have 6 copies of syg - mutiny! and dont see that as a horrible thing

If people wouldn't put so much energy into buying so many copies of the same stupid record you guys wouldn't get so pissy all the time when it comes to these re-releases. Stop being so overly anal about collecting every single record some shitty band puts out. Then you can put your energy into buying vinyl from other bands you like and you can even discover other good bands. Don't get me wrong, this is a cool forum with cool people, but sometimes when I look at people's lists and see they have lots and lots of records but really only have a bunch of variations of a few records I can't help but think it's pretty fucking stupid. Also, the ~$100 or so it'll take to collect all variations of this repress can go towards a pretty good phono stage, or it's 1/4 of a brand new Rega P1 or 1/3 of a decent set of speakers, etc. The point is, if people didn't spend so much money on one record they could buy more records or get some decent gear and realize how fucking GOOD records actually sound. Also, in the end, if you don't care about having all the variations, stupid shit like this wouldn't bother you. Labels do what they can to break even, because its pretty fucking hard to do so, especially pressing vinyl. They want to move copies of this record, not placate a few anal nerds on some messageboard. Thats just my opinion.

There goes my karma.

well said and agreed +1

There goes my karma.

Putting energy into getting all variations does not mean you can not also go out and get more records for other new bands or buy better gear.

That's why I don't buy anything else, because I end up buying a shit load of variants AND new records.

If people wouldn't put so much energy into buying so many copies of the same stupid record you guys wouldn't get so pissy all the time when it comes to these re-releases. Stop being so overly anal about collecting every single record some shitty band puts out. Then you can put your energy into buying vinyl from other bands you like and you can even discover other good bands. Don't get me wrong, this is a cool forum with cool people, but sometimes when I look at people's lists and see they have lots and lots of records but really only have a bunch of variations of a few records I can't help but think it's pretty fucking stupid. Also, the ~$100 or so it'll take to collect all variations of this repress can go towards a pretty good phono stage, or it's 1/4 of a brand new Rega P1 or 1/3 of a decent set of speakers, etc. The point is, if people didn't spend so much money on one record they could buy more records or get some decent gear and realize how fucking GOOD records actually sound. Thats just my opinion.

There goes my karma.

i dunno, i think its perfectly healthy to collect 1 or 2 of your favorite bands....sometimes i dont get people buying every variant of what seems like every release....but i have 6 copies of syg - mutiny! and dont see that as a horrible thing

It's not necessarily a bad thing, I have been there/done that. At one point I owned 10 copies of Fuel for the Hate Game by HWM. My main point was it is this anal retentive need to collect every variation that leads people to whine about these represses. Asian Man did nothing wrong by ordering more copies but some of the collectors are pissed off anyways, and its only because they told themselves that they have to have every single color. If you get out of that mentality none of this shit matters.

I guess really it comes down to this... if you decide that you're going to collect all the variants, do it, but don't think that when more get pressed that you "have" to buy more copies. Nobody forces anyone to buy more copies or get every variant. That's a choice you made and if you think that the represses get out of control, call it quits and stop buying them. If you've made a choice to collect every single record of a band, especially a popular band like Alkaline Trio, which is one of few bands that a label like Asian Man can really really make money off of, then you need to understand that records are going to get repressed and you set yourself up to having to buy a shitload of records.

There goes my karma.

i plus one'd it.

I agree and disagree with kyle. It is a little bit the label's fault. No one said Asian Man had to do eight colors. The label could've just as easily done four, two or just one color for all 4,000 copies. That said, no one is pointing a gun to my head making me get all of them. However, I bought this set thinking I'd be getting a complete set, that's what bothers me. Goddamnit one of two Alkaline Trio records I really like. I thought it would be cool to have a set of them. I'm not whining, I'm just annoyed that I bought what I thought was a complete set only to be told months later that it isn't and that if I wanted a full set I'd probably have to drop $30 to have one, after spending a good chunk of change already.

This is my last post in this thread.

I agree and disagree with kyle. It is a little bit the label's fault. No one said Asian Man had to do eight colors. The label could've just as easily done four, two or just one color for all 4,000 copies. That said, no one is pointing a gun to my head making me get all of them. However, I bought this set thinking I'd be getting a complete set, that's what bothers me. Goddamnit one of two Alkaline Trio records I really like. I thought it would be cool to have a set of them. I'm not whining, I'm just annoyed that I bought what I thought was a complete set only to be told months later that it isn't and that if I wanted a full set I'd probably have to drop $30 to have one, after spending a good chunk of change already.

* posting in this thread.

I'm pretty much of the same state of mind. I don't have to get them all but I decided to and now I'm mildly annoyed I have to track down more records. Sure I don't have to but I already have 6.

When someone tells me A and then it turns out to be B it just annoys me, regardless of what it is. I think it would annoy everyone.

I think they are great. I am really happy to add this great album to my collection(I ordered the VC exclusive and the clear with red splatter). For those of you bitching about only having 6 of the 8. You could always make some money on ebay, like I am sure alot of people have in mind anyway! Just sell your least 5 favorites and keep one. My guess is that these things will go for $50-$100. Oh wait, thats blasphemy!

There goes my karma.

I can't agree with you more, but im too lazy to write all that you just said...so..

+1

i think there's a difference between a person who listens to vinyl and a person who collects vinyl. a person who listens needs one copy and that's it. no bullshit about getting another copy of a record unless it's ruined or out of print. a person who collects, i would guess, would want more. they would want all variations that exist. i'm probably wrong, but whatever...

personally, i've spent a good amount of money on my shooks collection. i'm proud of it. i have like 8 variations of the same record. of course i don't listen to all of them. i only have one playing copy. but i guess it's just a matter of preference for how much of a completest you want to be with the band. hell, i'm fine with the first two colors pressed. i don't NEED the second press stuff, and not having it isn't a discredit to your collection. you still have the first two colors it was pressed on, which will end up being more valuable than subsequent represses. and as far as dropping ca$h on test pressings.. how cool is it to know that you have one of first fifteen records that one of your favorite albums was pressed on, totally different from anything else anyone can buy at a store?? well, unless it actually does end up in the used bin at some record store.