"fragile" stamp eliminated at post offices

I took 3 packages to the post office just now and got my usual friendly worker(not sarcastic). I handed him the packages and asked that all three be stamped with the Fragile stamp. He said that they "took it away from them" and i would have to write it myself. He gave me a sharpie and I asked why they no longer had it. His response was "it makes us responsible". I couldn't really get into the topic to get more information as there was a line building but I always had them stamp stuff and especially after I heard all the people say that if it isnt marked fragile and it gets broken its your fault.

Not a huge deal but might want to start making sure you write this on all of your records from now on.

i went to the post office yesterday and they stamped everything Fargile for me... maybe the dude was fucking wiht you or was just lazy as fuck

well he said the "Fargile" stamp would still be in use...

just messing with you.

actually he is the best guy there and I see him 2-3 times a week and have never had a problem so i highly doubt he was fucking with me.

like i said maybe its just my post office or maybe its this area. who knows. Just throwing it out there.

i got a 3-pack of stamps cheap at office depot. Fragile, Do Not Bend, and First Class (i never could track down a Media Mail stamp, so i used to just write that w/ a sharpie. But lately, I've been using PayPal's shipping deal, so it has a label w/ media mail on it already, then i just stamp fragile and do not bend on it a few times.

i just got a package from ebay that didn't have fragile or do not bend on it and it had a real nice stomp spot on it so the record came bent. luckily it was a cheap one, but it was still a bummer. i think it will still play ok. i need to throw it on later today.

I have the "fragile" label that Chris (benchwarmer) did a couple of years back as a PDF file...just print, cut, and tape them to the packages. If you've gotten records from me, you've seen them.

Could you send this to me? I would love to have it when I ship records to people.

No prob. I'll email it to you when I get home today.

You think the PO employees actually handle packages marked fragile more carefully?

They don't.

Just pack your records well to begin with and it's a non-issue.

I package all my lp's double wrapped in bubble wrap and my 7"s between two very thick pieces of cardboard then in a bubble mailer and I have never had a problem with any of my packages arriving to the destination unharmed.

I still dont think that having a stamp on the outside of a package is going to hurt the cause.

I just wanted to point out that it seems the post office is being more careless and taking less responsibility for their actions.

I package all my lp's double wrapped in bubble wrap and my 7"s between two very thick pieces of cardboard then in a bubble mailer and I have never had a problem with any of my packages arriving to the destination unharmed.

I still dont think that having a stamp on the outside of a package is going to hurt the cause.

I just wanted to point out that it seems the post office is being more careless and taking less responsibility for their actions.

It's not going to help the cause. The vast majority of PO employees aren't going to inspect every package that comes through to see if they should be extra careful with it.

The post office hasn't taken responsibility for years now. It's not a new development.

i got a 3-pack of stamps cheap at office depot. Fragile, Do Not Bend, and First Class (i never could track down a Media Mail stamp, so i used to just write that w/ a sharpie. But lately, I've been using PayPal's shipping deal, so it has a label w/ media mail on it already, then i just stamp fragile and do not bend on it a few times.

You probably can't buy a Media Mail stamp for the same reason you can't mail stuff Media Mail using those APC machines -- the packages are subject to inspection by the post office and need to be approved by the handler as being Media Mail.

You probably can't buy a Media Mail stamp for the same reason you can't mail stuff Media Mail using those APC machines -- the packages are subject to inspection by the post office and need to be approved by the handler as being Media Mail.

But you can mail stuff media mail via paypal and drop it in a mailbox?