The worst part about collecting vinyl for you

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest duhpunk

the only thing i don't like about records is the inconvenience of listening to them. you almost have to make a ritual out of it or set some time aside especially to do so.

I have to admit, there have been times where I plugged the ipod in, due to the fact that i didn't want to get up to flip a record or turn the turntable off if i was going to sleep.

First things first... +1 for the Patrick Bateman gif.

The worst part for me is that it steals all of my money.
space. or lack thereof
Trying to stay on top of new releases while tracking down older records I missed. Buying a record you've wanted forever only to find it skips. New records that sound like crap.
the window of time you have to get some releases before they go oop. lately it feels like this is happening faster than usual.
Flippers that buy up shit they don't want to make an extra buck and take away from the people who actually want it.

I agree that pre-orders are a bit much sometimes, but that is the nature of these things. Other than the above, I love me some vinylzzzzzzzzzzz. ;)

Guest drawthecurtains

The wait. Purchasing a record you've been searching for for years on eBay, a site, what have you, only to wait a week to get it. Hell, even three or four days I get grumpy.

That, and it wastes all of my money.

I've already obtained 99% of the records I want, but the ones I'm still looking for are now $500+ on eBay, and the chance of finding them locally is slim to none.

ebay prices of titles that i will now probably never own because the flippers set the bar so freaking high.

someday i will get you, Your Favorite Weapon.

Guest markovianprocess

Not being able to find anything I want in local stores (and by local I mean an hour and a half bus journey into town) so I have to order everything I want online. The fact my mail doesn't come until after 12pm sucks. I feel like whatever I'm doing till then I need to be listening so I don't miss him. Oh, and definitely the money thing too.

1. The pervasive awful/on the cheap mastering for new releases.

2. The pressing facility Pirate's Press uses/the fact that PP has cornered the market for "punk" or "indie" releases – cos honestly, they are the noisiest fucking records I have ever heard.

(However, taking the wide-angle POV, there really isn't anything "bad" about buying music on vinyl for me. Still love it all.)

When brand new records have a ton of surface noise, it drives me crazy. Like my copy of the new American Steel. I wonder how that happens. I need a Nitty Gritty or something.

I also hate it when a record doesn't sound good at all but the digital download sounds great.

really!? that's awesome (for me) because I got into an argument with Ryan (from American Steel) over the mastering of the Olehole LP. He thought Bill did a bad job and thought the LP sounded terrible compared to the CD...so i take a small bit of pleasure knowing that their LP sounds bad. I hope he used the guy he wanted me to use.