The worst part about collecting vinyl for you

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People who sell used records, state " I KNOW WHAT THESE ARE WORTH," and don't give a set price. Fuck you.

and then get super bent out of shape when (you/me) don't "know what these are worth" and "insult" them with unintentional low ball offers...

That shit is lame. Not everyone is a fucking vinyl encyclopedia. If you're buying/selling and don't like the first price thrown at you, just discuss it like an adult.

the fact that i can't afford shit for records the last few months, due to medical bills, declining hours at work and all kinds of other expenses and catching up. i miss buying lots of records!

i don't even want to look at this board, knowing i'm just going to bend to pre-ordering more stuff i really can't afford. :(

^ Agreed. Plus, the whole ritual is part of the appeal for me.

Exactly – I look at the whole process, from searching online/flipping thru the bins at a store to the needle drop, as a ritual. You should see how ritualistic I become when planning an outing to Princeton Record Exchange! I suppose it mirrors what some folks do when they go to church on Sundays.

I dont really have many issues. i have the space and time to listen. Variants have gotten out of control and there really is no better feeling then giving that up and not worrying about what you are going to have to sell so you can buy the 6 new colors of a repressing.

And besides the variant thing, the constant represses bother me. If you are gonna repress an album press a lot of them instead of 6 represses of 300-500 each.

Oh yeah, and super overpriced represses of albums you can find in used bins in any music store.

You should see how ritualistic I become when planning an outing to Princeton Record Exchange! I suppose it mirrors what some folks do when they go to church on Sundays.

There is a biannual record fair at one of the better venues in DC, and I get the same type of fired up for that. You should come down for the next one. We can wear suits, drink Pabst, and hang out with the Dischord people.

Not gonna read through everything right now, but moving is one thing since I just had to deal with this. I don't even have that many records, so I can feel for anyone moving 500+. These things might be light for one or two, but a box of a hundred is rough on the back and it's just scary as hell moving them since you baby the fuck out of them when you're listening, now box them up, put them in a car, travel down roads and through traffic, then move them into a new spot and put them all back on the shelf...

i don't really get the inconvenience aspect. i mean, it takes a whole 40 seconds to slip the record out of the jacket, set it on the table, turn the receiver on and set the needle down

I know, but as much as I love vinyl (and as much as I hate to admit this), it's more just that CDs and MP3s fit my lifestyle a lot better these days since I'm an old man now & most of the time I have to listen to music is when I'm in the car or otherwise commuting.

Guest kissthesharks
1. The closest store is Hot Topic, everything else is 50 minutes away.

2. Always always ALWAYS missing out on online sales, releases, pre-orders, etc. It seems they always end on or right before payday.

Backed so hard. The only record store that isn't hot topic is hundreds of miles away.

Not gonna read through everything right now, but moving is one thing since I just had to deal with this. I don't even have that many records, so I can feel for anyone moving 500+. These things might be light for one or two, but a box of a hundred is rough on the back and it's just scary as hell moving them since you baby the fuck out of them when you're listening, now box them up, put them in a car, travel down roads and through traffic, then move them into a new spot and put them all back on the shelf...

Ugh - I am moving in a week and not looking forward to moving 1000+ LPs. So, I am psyching myself up for it by thinking of it as an opportunity to re-organize them and catalog them as I put them back on the shelves. Maybe I'll clean 'em too.

Ugh - I am moving in a week and not looking forward to moving 1000+ LPs. So, I am psyching myself up for it by thinking of it as an opportunity to re-organize them and catalog them as I put them back on the shelves. Maybe I'll clean 'em too.

im doing the same in about 3 weeks. Ive been selling stuff to lighten the load(and free up cash) but still there's a hefty amount.

The hours it takes the money spent and constantly thinking about the future and if it could be better saved. Wondering what other person would care about a limited run on this particular color limited to 250. Ordering multiples of the same record to have a full collection of that pressing. The voluntary ritualism of waiting for the mailman sometimes for weeks to no avail. To holding the parcel and carefully opening the package and pulling out that beautiful wax plate. Holding it under the light and looking upwards, rushing to the bedroom to drop the needle on the groove. And believing with everything in you that this is without a doubt the best way I could be spending my free time.

also it won't get you laid.

I just moved to a new place and holy fuckballs did I hate my records for those few days of packing, transporting, and unpacking. Heavy, awkward to carry, and so many boxes that I took more care with than my own son. Only one box broke this time but luckily it was my older rock stuff.

The pressing facility Pirate's Press uses/the fact that PP has cornered the market for "punk" or "indie" releases – cos honestly, they are the noisiest fucking records I have ever heard.

This, and that their records look too perfect. The super-slick colors and patterns GZ produces may be more consistent, but it looks cheap. US colored vinyl looks way better. It's like Wonderbread vs. fresh-baked whole grain bread.