How much does rarity/colour matter to you?

So how much do you guys care if you specifically get a 1st pressing on red/gold swirl as compared to a third press on black? I know the people that collect all the variations and pressings of a record will care, which is understandable, but do you guys actually base your purchasing off of the colour and rarity, or would you be happy with any pressing on any colour?

This is mostly in regards to seeing colour pressings of a record going for far more than their counterparts, especially on Ebay. A few weeks ago, a blue copy of "Something to Write Home About" ended at something like $265.00, while a black copy of the same record I've seen end for about $40.

So basically it comes down to whether or not you guys purchase on the basis or rarity or colour, or does anything pretty much work for you guys? It's a hard question to word, but I'm sure you guys catch my drift.

Guest scriptedrain

It varies. I really like when the color of the record matches the artwork and owning the most rare press of a release.

See I don't collect all the pressings, just one of each record will suffice, but since that's the case, I like to find the rarer pressings. I'm happy with any pressing really or any colour, but since I'm only getting one of each record, I feel that I can justify spending a little more to get the rarer pressing or colour.

Guest baseball

I try not to get terribly caught up in the pressing/color stuff because it just ends up costing me money ;).

There's certain bands or releases where I will target a certain color or pressing because I either really like the band/release or really like it visually with the other artwork. I don't collect variations really.

it really doesn't matter to me. first thing i look for is if the colour matches the artwork. then rarity. or else if i can just get a damn copy, i'll be happy.

i would love to be able to afford all the pressings, but if there's colours available, i go for the one i like best. i dont really care if its a 1st press or 3rd or whatever - just what is aesthetically pleasing for me. if no colours are available - or they are shit colours, i'll go for black.

personally i like clear and clear colours. not a big fan of opaque colours, nor splatter designs. i do like the haze / smoke style though.

If I am buying a new record for pre-order or that has just been released, I prefer the rarest one. If the vinyl color and the art don't match, that doesn't matter to me.

If I am buying a record I missed the first time around, I just buy any copy that comes up.

I only usually buy one of each record so the pressing isn't always the most important thing. I just want every song a band put out on vinyl. For me, that completes my collect. I'm not a big varient person.

If I am seriously nerding out over a specific band I try to get my hands on whatever pressing I can find of every single release there is, usually I'm more interested in just getting the record at a reasonable price than getting the rarest version. I've never been one to get all colors/all pressings. But if a record is new I will try and get the coolest packaging/rarest version I can get my hands on before it sells out and ends up on ebay at a redicuous price. And the album has to kick ass (or have the potential of kicking ass). If you look at my list in the signature, a lot of aspects of my collection could be considered more of "quantity over quality" with regards to the pressings/versions I have. Never been one to buy a record from a band I don't like just because it is rare. Hell, I'll skip crappy records by bands I do like. Like that shitty Bad Religion record for example. Guess I'm rambling here, too much coffee.