Because vinyl sounds better than CD..

due to its analog signal, does that mean that tapes also sound better than digital media?

If so, would video be superior to DVD?

Also, how can I make my set up sound better?

I just got back into vinyl after a 10 year absence. I bought an AT-PL300 which allows itself to be hooked up directly to speakers. Because I live in a little Japanese apartment and don't want to be a burden on neighbors (and because real speakers costs hundreds of dollars), I bought AT-SP120 speakers. Everything is pretty and white, but the speakers sound like shit. However, when I hook headphones to the speakers, the sound is live and beautiful.

Any tips or recommended speakers so I can improve my set-up without annoying the neighbors? I'd like to have a clean sound to play at a low volume.

Thanks for reading

hey moon00beams.

i-sai-ma-se to vinyl collective.

i think you're the first japanese who registered this community....

:)

su-wa-dee kap

actually, I'm an American living in Japan.

by the way, it's i-ra-sshai-ma-se ;)

oh, sorry.

your thai is better than my japanese.

i know many good records shop in tokyo.

it's great if you can make a thread to suggest us about a good record shop in tokyo or your city....

:)

Well, I just started buying records again two weeks ago. There is a series of record shops called Disk Union.

There is Record Shop Base. There's a great punk oriented one near Shinjuku called Vinyl pt. 2. The part one is non-punk, but I've never been there. That's all I know. I'm just going to mail order for now on. Records are expensive here and it's easier for me to mail order as shipping is just as much as riding the trains to the stores.

Moon, your English is fine.

I don't think you can extrapolate the analog vs. digital thing out of vinyl to something like DVDs. I think you'd have a hard time finding someone who legitimately thinks VHS tapes look and sound better than DVDs.

I think its because the whole thing is opinion in the first place. Many of us think vinyl sounds better because it sounds warmer and "deeper" than digital, but I don't think tapes get that same warmth as vinyl. Other people here are more fans of tapes, but I think they're pretty worthless. It's all opinion though..

I don't have too much advice for your speakers, someone else should come along and help you.

Analog in it's purest form is better than digital in its purest form (no such thing ;-) )

Very high end audio tape will be very good quality at first, but tape loses quality with every listen. Many records are recorded onto analog tape first. Store-bought cassettes are not as good of quality.

^Exactly, VHS and cassettes wear out over time and their quality starts to get worse and worse. I found out in one of my Mass Comm classes that for that very reason, Disney wouldn't put their stuff out on DVD for a long time because they knew that kids watch them over and over and they start looking worse and worse and parents would buy new VHS copies.

Disney wouldn't put their stuff out on DVD for a long time because they knew that kids watch them over and over and they start looking worse and worse and parents would buy new VHS copies.

^ I don't think this is true since Disney was notorious for letting even their VHS movies go out of print and not re-releasing them. There are a few Disney VHS's that still sell for a decent amount because of that.

Disney wouldn't put their stuff out on DVD for a long time because they knew that kids watch them over and over and they start looking worse and worse and parents would buy new VHS copies.

^ I don't think this is true since Disney was notorious for letting even their VHS movies go out of print and not re-releasing them. There are a few Disney VHS's that still sell for a decent amount because of that.

[image]

Way back when I was in radio, I read this study where someone played a bunch of people the same song on vinyl, CD and cassette and asked them to report which sounded batter. Almost everyone picked the cassette. The theory was that CDs have better highs and vinyl has better lows and mids. Cassettes, on the other hand, have no distinctive sound quality. Nothing stands out, so it appeals to more people. I guess mediocrity really is what people are looking for.

Welcome to the board!

I'm guessing the speakers you have are active speakers (built-in amp)? In that case you'll either have to buy an amp, or find some god active speakers, which will be substantially more expensive than the passive ones.

I know nothing about active speakers, so I cannot help you there, but if you decide to go after speakers/amp combo, one of the best bookshelfs you can ged if you're on a budget is Tannoy M1. They run for around $200-$250 a pair and are the best speakers I've heard for under $400. Epos ELS-3 are really amazing as well, but a bit more expensive ($300 a pair). Either way you'll be blown away by the sound (though your record player won't be able to reveal their full potential).

Way back when I was in radio, I read this study where someone played a bunch of people the same song on vinyl, CD and cassette and asked them to report which sounded batter. Almost everyone picked the cassette. The theory was that CDs have better highs and vinyl has better lows and mids. Cassettes, on the other hand, have no distinctive sound quality. Nothing stands out, so it appeals to more people. I guess mediocrity really is what people are looking for.

Cassettes are garbage and most people are tone deaf.

What kind of budget are you looking at for speakers, Moon? There are plenty of great bookshelf-sized speakers that offer clean, dynamic sound reproduction even at low volume - however, their range in price can be quite wide.

The Audio-technica SP120's were marked down to $30 from $100. They have been discontinued. I bought them for their looks, my record player is white AT, so I bought white AT speakers. Almost all small speakers sounded like shit at the store.

Except for the pairs that go over $150.

Bookshelf sized speakers were surprising all over $300 per speaker. But I would need that thing that regulates sound for those, What's it called, a receiver?

^(Moon and MRC) I'd at least demo a pair of Rega R1's (of course, since I'm a Rega freak).

But seriously, they run around $350-410 and blew me away when I heard them (demoed them at my local hi-fi seller on all-Rega set-up). Really incredible separation, tone and detail - and they don't lose any of their resolution when you turn them up, which in my experience happens far too often with bookshelf speakers.

The caveat: Since I heard them thru an all-Rega system (P3->Mira), what I heard will not be what you or I hear at home. Rega, like all British hi-fi, design their separates to sound [even more] wonderful when put together. Rega, Naim, NAD (not so much anymore), Creek - they all go for a house (i.e. signature) sound. That all being said, those R1's are still better than most in their price range.

I swear, Rega is the master at designing beautifully sounding components that are totally understated in their visual aesthetics.

I am heading over to the shop today in fact, so I will ask what he would recomment @ your budget level.