Anyone have any Movie Recommendations?

mrc

If you go into across the universe thinking you're gonna hear straight up beatles songs you're gonna be let down and think they got butchered. I hate musicals and I think that movie was brilliant and the versions in the movie are fantastic.

My recommendations:

Lucky Number Slevin(eric hearts u turned me onto this movie last year and I'm still raving about it!!)

Ong Bak thai warrior...brutal thai action / martial arts movie based around the ong bak style of fighting...which basically employes the use of blunt parts of your body as weapons. Fucking INTENSE. More or less the same cast as the Protector which the star made up his own fighting style of ong bak mimicing the elephant physiology as a base stances...pretty nuts. When I saw this in the theater there was a lot of "crowd interaction" ie yelling and screaming at the screen and there was almost a fist fight. Both movies illicit similar responses. Both highly recommended in all out brutal fight movies.

Hot Fuzz is amazing. Period. Nearly as good as Shaun of the Dead.

The Propagandhi DVD has some awesome documentaries on it I especially liked the one about how the Palestinians are getting royally fucked by Israel who are basically enforcing squatters rights. And taking control more and more. Terrifying.

The Take is a great documentary about people in South America...columbia or brazil who re-open the factory that the owners abandoned during political upheaval because they deemed it unprofitable to keep it going. Pretty amazing. Really inspiring story. Apparently this is a trend in south america with the workers taking back abandoned factories and running them in a co-op manner and dividing the profits equally among the workers. This is available from netflix too.

That's all I got for now.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OLDBOY

An average man is kidnapped and imprisoned in a shabby cell for 15 years without explanation. He then is released, equipped with money, a cellphone and expensive clothes. As he strives to explain his imprisonment and get his revenge, he soon finds out that not only his kidnapper has still plans for him, but that those plans will serve as the even worse finale to 15 years of imprisonment.

That movie was so damn good!

Happy Feet was good until Baby Mumbles grew up. Then it just got creepy because the adult penguin looked just like Elijah Wood -- who voiced him.

Amelie (same director as City of Lost Children)

Odd, people usually reference that director as the one who directed Amelie, not vice versas. I have another movie by that director laying on my dresser that my brother told me to watch, can't recall the name. Something about WW2, maybe its the one you mentioned, I dunno.

Guest falloutcollapse

I hate you too, my son.

-god

+1

i recommend:

Kicking And Screaming (the criterion edition, NOT the will ferrell movie)

You Kill Me

Broken English

The Science Of Sleep

Dude, Kicking and Screaming with Will Ferrell is my favorite movie of all time. I'm not even kidding.