What would be your best advice?

I have kinda/sorta collected vinyl for years. Hell, I still have my original copies of "Liscenced To Ill" and "Appetite For Destruction" from when I was a kid. But only recently I've gotten "serious" about the collecting aspects of it.

A friend of mine got me to thinking the other day after I told him that i'd bought/ordered 13 different records in 2 days earlier this week he said, and I quote, "slow down or your just going to end up with a bunch of random shit"

So, what would you say is the best approach to take? A "bunch of random shit" or focusing on one band/label/style/size (just 12's..or 7's...etc)

I tend to think that once I get this "buying a bunch of random stuff from artists/bands I like that I didn't already have on vinyl to build up the base of my collection" thing out of my system i'm going to start focusing on specific things...i'm just not sure what yet. Just looking for a little community input from the fine folk of VC...mostly for input but also because i'm curious about how other collectors collect.

Just buy what you like. If you got money to blow, by all means, buy anything you want. But if you got a budget of some sort(which you will break, we all do), just buy the shit you will actually listen to. If you want, start a list of some of your all time favorite records and start with that. Don't spend tons of money on shit that's just come out and people are flipping. All those records will go down in price, so just wait them out. Be patient and your collection will grow. Also, I try to limit how much I buy since I see when I buy ten records in one shot, I forget to listen to a couple because I'm so into one or another, though it is kinda nice to find it months later and be just as stoked on that one as I was the others.

Good luck. Start a trading list while you're at it.

A friend of mine got me to thinking the other day after I told him that i'd bought/ordered 13 different records in 2 days earlier this week he said, and I quote, "slow down or your just going to end up with a bunch of random shit"

I don't think that's necessarily true. Since I've been on the board I've bought quite a bit of records from other board members and they've mostly been either Drag The River, Tim Barry or Chuck Ragan. I wouldn't consider that random, especially considering they are three of my favorite artists. Just do what makes you happy.

Thanks for the input so far, everybody.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Since I've been on the board I've bought quite a bit of records from other board members and they've mostly been either Drag The River, Tim Barry or Chuck Ragan. I wouldn't consider that random, especially considering they are three of my favorite artists. Just do what makes you happy.

I can appreciate that. I'd never listened to Drag The River before I started hanging out here and now I can't get their songs out of my head. And my time on this board has rekindled my love of Chuck Ragan's solo work (i've long been a fan of the HWM and Rumbleseat stuff)

I'm kind of in the same boat so I'd love to hear the advice too :) I just threw down 200 in two weeks on my first turntable and 12 records. I'm going to try and stick with my "absolute favorite" bands/albums first and then try newer things. I probably wouldn't buy vinyl for a band I hadn't listened to at all before...but I only say that now. This addiction is a dangerous mistress...

I'm kind of in the same boat so I'd love to hear the advice too :) I just threw down 200 in two weeks on my first turntable and 12 records. I'm going to try and stick with my "absolute favorite" bands/albums first and then try newer things. I probably wouldn't buy vinyl for a band I hadn't listened to at all before...but I only say that now. This addiction is a dangerous mistress...

I'm in the same position as you. Just getting into vinyl, it'd be really easy for me to all of a sudden drop a ton of cash on records that I already own in some form or another (digital / CD), so I'm having to find some restraint.

I'm in the same position as you. Just getting into vinyl, it'd be really easy for me to all of a sudden drop a ton of cash on records that I already own in some form or another (digital / CD), so I'm having to find some restraint.

yeah i'm trying really hard not to go balls to the wall but i jump into everything headfirst. just the experience of listening to my favorites on vinyl is enough to put me under a bridge in 6 months ;D

yeah i'm trying really hard not to go balls to the wall but i jump into everything headfirst. just the experience of listening to my favorites on vinyl is enough to put me under a bridge in 6 months ;D

Haha, I feel ya there! In the past 2 weeks, I've bought more music that I ever would have thought was rational. Not a bad thing, mind you. :)

My advice is... don't get "serious" about the collecting aspects of it.

in my defense when I say "serious" I mean actually making a point to buy things on vinyl.

I used to just occasionally pick one up, while almost religiously picking up CDs.

Now it's starting to even out more towards an even split.

There is nothing wrong with a bunch of random stuff. Gives you good trading material. But remember the number one VC rule "If it isn't limited, don't buy it."

Is this sarcasm or are you being serious? There's so many good records out there that aren't limited I only have to assume it's sarcasm.

The way I look at it is this: It's really easy to get caught up with stuff like tradelists, or quickly trying to grab the latest release from a band on colored vinyl just because other collectors are making such a big hype about it. Stick to seeking out your favorite albums and work from there. Personally I enjoy the hunt, especially if I set limits for myself(not spending more than $50 on a record, for example). It makes it more rewarding when you finally find what you've been looking for and you know you didn't break the bank.