Whats the furthest you've driven....

davezer

i've made a couple 14 hour drives by myself. i went to college 6 hours from my house so i made that drive A TON. you just have to play little tricks with your mind to make it through.

break the trip down into sections. just do 3 hours at a time. anybody can make a 3 hour drive. bring lots of cds (or stock the shit out of your iPod). bring comedy albums for sure. those will keep you awake and atentive. the other thing i always did was made sure the music i listened to on the super long trips was stuff that i knew like the back of my hand. that way you can sing along to every song and keep yourself awake and upbeat. i found that if i tried to listen to a BUNCH of new music, i would start to doze off and get tired. a new album here and there is okay, but don't listen to a bunch of new music back to back or you'll lose it.

also, every few hours, try to call somebody on the phone and talk for 15 minutes or so. that will keep you awake. of course, if the weather is bad (raining or snowing like crazy) stay off the phone and pay attention to driving.

oh, and pack a bunch of drinks and food that's easy to eat with one hand. you don't want to have to be using a fork and knife while you're on the highway, and you don't want to eat things like cheetos cause it leaves your fingers all messy and makes it hard to drive.

i think that's it for now. if i think of something else i'll post again.

oh, more tips... USE CRUISE CONTROL. set it at a speed you're comfortable driving at that you don't think you'll get a ticket driving. if you rely on yourself to set the speed, you'll invariably zone out and when you come to you'll be doing 95. happens every time.

also, if you feel like you're getting tired, just pull over and take a nap at a rest stop. it's seriously not worth it to push yourself to drive a little bit further unless you ABSOLUTELY have to be where you're going at a set time. it might add an hour or two to your already long trip, but the alternative (getting in a crash cause you feel asleep behind the wheel) is much worse.

Thanks dan! Your from Illinois, you know fucking boring it is to drive thru! take that, add indiana, missouri and ohio, and thats 13 hours of boringness. but almost all of the drive!

i got the ipod packed full of great tunes to sing a long to (piebald, rancid, alkaline trio, saves the day to name a few fun ones). i have a SUV so i will be stopping for gas more often than i'd like. cruise control always on 80 (midwest speed limits are fun!) then 70 in the northeast. drinks and snacks are a check!, back seats folded down to make a "bed" for when i get tired.

kinda weird, but i'm looking forward to this journey! anyone with a place on my way wanna let me crash tomorrow night?!

I live in Indiana and know how boring it can be to drive through. I get restless just making the 2 hr. drive from my hometown to the city I live in now.

What part of Indiana do you drive through?

I live in the southwestern part of the state, so if you come through there you are more than welcome to crash at my place if needed.

I've done plenty of 6 hour drives by myself (So Cal to Phoenix multiple times, So Cal to Santa Cruz, etc) and I can easily do those without a problem. I find the alone time relaxing and find the time flies by once I get lost in my thoughts. I usually do the trips with only one stop in the middle to gas up and grab food and then it's back on the road. If I could make it the entire way without gassing up I would.

24 hours on the other hand would be rough, but doable. Just have plenty of music to listen to. I usually pick a few albums I want to listen to all the way through without skipping... extra points if I know all the words and can sing along the whole time.

It's not the furthest I've driven, but the 17.5 hours it took to drive from New Orleans to Houston during the Katrina evac was the longest I've been in a car in a single sitting. Normally, it's a 5.5 hour drive or so.

Drove from San Antonio to Tampa via Dallas/Birmingham/Atlanta. That was a long ass drive.

I think the longest by myself was six hours, but I had to do it all the time for school. As Dan said comedy albums are really helpful. In my opinion comedy and jam bands (could also seeing this work the exact opposite if you aren't into it) worked the best.

I used to do the 8 hour jaunt to San Diego once or twice a month (I had buddies in college there). No cruise control and no heat or A/C (a couple of times). Fuck the valley gets hot.

The longest single shot is Portland to SD in on duration (which sucks because I went right past my house half way through). I think it was like 16 hours. Would not do again.