breaking your glasses at a show

jcamps

i only go to shows where the crowd and the band stand still.

so you go to alot of crooked fingers or nada surf shows?

i got pushed to the center of the crowd during weezer's encore on the pinkerton tour. Some kid was crowd surfing to my right (and im blind from my right eye) so i got blind sided and kicked with a steel toe boot heel right in the eye. my glass shattered and i lost them in the commotion. my eye got cut up pretty bad and i couldn't find my friends, so my ride left me there in austin, and i had to miss work the next day to take a bus to san antonio and get a new set of glasses. the show rocked, but the aftermath sucked ass...

What a shitty friend. I lost mine via a crowdsurfer too, but I should have expected it. I got kicked in the face, and I didn't even notice it until I felt blood above my eye. Miraculously my friend I was there with picked them up, amidst moshing idiots, and gave them to me. They were bent as fuck and the frames had huge scratches on them.

I stayed for the remainder of the show but driving home was scary as hell.

I was headbanging during Mastodon's set four years ago at Unholy Alliance and they flew off my face back into the ground.

so i'm freaking out, because i'm basically dependent on them cause i have shitty vision, so Mastodons set finishes and me and my friend are furiously looking for them on the floor.

and this girl came up to me and was all, are you looking for these? and holds up my glasses in perfect shape. and says yeah, i was standing there and they came flying back and hit me in the boobs.

i guess they knew where to go.

I lost a lens during a Suicide Machines show once. I was pretty drunk and having a jolly good time with friends when one of them decided to push me into the mosh pit. I got nailed in the face and a lens popped out. I was crawling on the floor getting trampled on trying to find it. I eventually did, that was pretty awesome.

When I was 16 it was either a Catch 22 show or H20 at Lost Horizon in Syracuse. Someone threw a fist in the air only to elbow me in the side of the head knocking my glasses off my face. Found them later, completely smashed up...sucked a lot. Now that I'm older I don't get involved too much up front anymore, so no broken glasses recently.

Many years ago when Alkaline Trio came out our way they had some local bands open up, the first being Taking Back Sunday. When TBS came on the entire crowd rushed forward knocking my brothers glasses off. When the pit opened up there they were in two pieces. When he got them back the lenses were ok but we had to tape them together with electrical tape.

I had mine busted at a Dropkick/ Lars Fredrickson show in RI. One of the roadies stage dived with steel toe boots and foot went straight to the eye. Busted my glasses and my orbital bone. My eye was bleeding heavily, and when I was walking out of the show ( my friend made me stay for the encore) the roadie was milling by the door and said "hey your the guy I landed on, that was pretty cool wasnt it?" Seeing how my face was covered in blood and the cloth I had was soaked as well, I havent supported Dropkick since that day. I still hate that dude.

At a Suicide Machines show, one of the first shows I ever went to, I decided I was gonna be really cool and get in the pit. Before the vocals even started on the first song ("Break the Glass," ironically) I was on the ground and had no fucking idea were my glasses were. Somehow, they got kicked across the floor and stopped at my feet. They were unwearable and unseeable-out-of. I have moshed sparingly ever since.

and this girl came up to me and was all, are you looking for these? and holds up my glasses in perfect shape. and says yeah, i was standing there and they came flying back and hit me in the boobs.

i guess they knew where to go.

haha! but yeah fuck wearing glasses to shows anymore. i wore mine to warped once in high school and that was one time too many. got the nosepieces shoved into the corners of my eyes when some douche decided to crowd surf right in front of me and use my friend and i as a launch point. uhhhhh how about not picking the only two chicks nearest the pit to jump on bro!

ahh, good times with glasses. i figured i couldn't be the only sucker to get mangled glasses at a show.

age 16. babes in toyland, first avenue. they start their first song, everyone pushes forward from the back and i get pushed hard, glasses fall off my face and into my hand. then they get half crushed and one lens pops out onto the floor. i looked all over for about a song and gave up. waited til everyone cleared out to look again. luckily, they were sweeping up the floor and i told the staff to keep an eye out for a single lens. they found it, it was scratched to hellllll. they were plastic and durable enough to last an entire set of kids jumping up and down all over them.

i ended up bending the frame back and wearing that lens for probably a year until i got contacts. i didn't really want to piss my mom off as glasses were expensive enough. contacts aren't even fool proof at shows but they're more safe than a pair of glasses getting smashed into your eyes.