New Deftones album 5/18, new single 2/23

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm completely bummed about Chi. I can't help but wonder what the new album would sound like without him... his bass playing was really unique and tied together the whole band in a way that I don't think just anybody could do.

One of the things I've always totally dug about Deftones was that they played pretty unusual shit that worked together, in a dissonant-yet-beautiful way. Stephen Carpenter played these strange not-quite-chords usings diads and triads and open strings and general noisy weirdness that wouldn't work at all without Chi supplying the root notes. If you separate out any part of a lot of their songs, the vocal melodies and the drums, the ambient stuff, the guitar and bass...a lot of it is only held together by what the other members of the band are doing. Deftones, Far, and Jawbox all had a similar sense of tension and dissonance in their music, even when they were playing "straightforward' stuff. I guess if anybody can fill in, it'd be a dude from Quicksand, but still. Chi was a unique and creative enough dude that I think his presence from a new album would be missed.

• 4 weeks later...