Credit Cards

I've got a few, but I only use my Chase Freedom Rewards, and my American Express (green).

For all my day to day purchases, I use my Chase (Visa) to reap the rewards. I got it in April of 07 and I've already cashed out over 1K in rewards. Cash. Hell, I got a $250 just for signing up for it! I found out about it via Slickdeals; definitely check out the site. I've never had any issues and I like their web interface and payment system. My only gripe: I had a renewal come through recently, I never activated it, but I managed to use the BLINK pay method and it allowed it! Bad security!

For all my travel shit, I use the AMEX.

I have 2 cards, a Discover, and a Mastercard, because not everyone takes Discover.

The Discover is my main card, because I got it when I turned 18. I like the cash back, it's like 1%, but the offer 5% on certain things for 2 month periods. Sometimes it's gas, groceries, clothes, etc... I charge everything so I get a fair amount of cash back bonuses over the year.

I never carry a balance or do anything other than pay for something, then pay my bill. Discover card has great customer service. My # was stolen once and I was called because something didn't look right. They shut my card off before anything could be purchased. They have a bunch of neat designs that you can change at anytime for free, nothing crazy, but a neat little perk. No annual fees.

I'm sure there are better cards out there and maybe I should look into that, but I'm content w/ my Discover card. I would like an American Express that doubles manufactures warranties on things, but I don't want any cards w/ annual fees.

I never carry a balance or do anything other than pay for something, then pay my bill.

This is the key. Do not spend more than what you have. Simple.

I never carry a balance or do anything other than pay for something, then pay my bill.

Yeah, since getting my credit card, I've used it on literally everything. I then pay my balance in full every month. When I really thought about it, I couldn't come up with a single reason to use my debit card over my credit card, other than ATM withdrawals.

I got a card through my bank, which has a very low interest rate, and decently high limit for my age/history. I decided to go through my bank since I figured it'd be easier to set up automatic payment, and as I suspected, it was incredibly easy. I didn't care for point programs or anything, I just wanted to make sure I had a high enough limit for the card to be useful, and a low enough interest rate that if for some reason I couldn't pay the balance off one month, it wouldn't kill me.

Yeah, since getting my credit card, I've used it on literally everything. I then pay my balance in full every month. When I really thought about it, I couldn't come up with a single reason to use my debit card over my credit card, other than ATM withdrawals.

You're doing it right, all you need now is rewards and you'll reap the benefits. :)

I would like a low interest rate mostly. I have a chase card right now and it's rate is %18. Rewards are always nice. I was looking into USAA, does anyone use them?

If you've been a good customers (ie - had the card for years and never made late payments, etc) if you call them and ask to lower your rate they will.

I was looking into USAA, does anyone use them?

I do, but I don't do much with that credit card any more. It's fixed at 9.99, and my wife just got an offer for a variable rate from USAA, starting at 11.99. I mostly keep it for emergencies.

My primary card of choice is a Chase Continental debit. Running it as a MC gets me one mile for every dollar spent ($65 annual fee). We put everything except the mortgage on it, and earn ~2000 miles every month. Works out to about a free flight every year.

Until the end of this month, they're running a deal where you can get up to 25,000 bonus miles after signing up: https://www.chase.com/ccp/index.jsp?pg_name=ccpmapp/shared/marketing/page/checkingCoup&ID=0000010502

You're doing it right, all you need now is rewards and you'll reap the benefits. :)

Or just get a Visa Debit card that has rewards on it. Chase offers them, many other banks do to.

How did ya'll get your first credit card? Was it difficult? Did you just apply for a regular card and get accepted or did you do the gas card route and work your way up? I don't have any credit history and I'm a little afraid to get one. Help?

College, my university had an offer and I signed up.

I have 2 cards, a Discover, and a Mastercard, because not everyone takes Discover.

The Discover is my main card, because I got it when I turned 18. I like the cash back, it's like 1%, but the offer 5% on certain things for 2 month periods. Sometimes it's gas, groceries, clothes, etc... I charge everything so I get a fair amount of cash back bonuses over the year.

I never carry a balance or do anything other than pay for something, then pay my bill. Discover card has great customer service. My # was stolen once and I was called because something didn't look right. They shut my card off before anything could be purchased. They have a bunch of neat designs that you can change at anytime for free, nothing crazy, but a neat little perk. No annual fees.

I'm sure there are better cards out there and maybe I should look into that, but I'm content w/ my Discover card. I would like an American Express that doubles manufactures warranties on things, but I don't want any cards w/ annual fees.

I use Discover, too. I have my Visa debit card from M&T Bank for places that don't take Discover and I do the same thing: pay off the balance ASAP. An ex-gf's mom told me they are brutal with late fees and stuff, so don't go with them if you're irresponsible, but I love the cashback. I rack it up, then throw it in my savings account. (well, I use that money to pay off part of my balance, but transfer the same amount from checking to savings in my bank).

If I could recommend anything, I would recommend not getting one unless you're good with your money. I am now but that wasn't always the case, and that led me to maxing out my £3,000 limit, which must be between $5,000 & $6,000 on music, food & a ton of stuff I didn't need. I'm alright now, only put some car repairs on it the other month, but boy be careful duuuude! Don't go for those high credit limits.

How did ya'll get your first credit card? Was it difficult? Did you just apply for a regular card and get accepted or did you do the gas card route and work your way up? I don't have any credit history and I'm a little afraid to get one. Help?

if you're not in college already, once you enroll credit card companies will bombard you with pre-approved letters and applications. they will even have tables set up on campus with reps that will sign you up on the spot. they will almost certainly give you a card hoping you'll use it recklessly and rack up huge bills. it'll be a student card with high interest and a low credit limit.

the more traditional route is to apply for a store's credit card and slowly build up your credit line so you can get one of the major cards, AMEX, Disover, Visa, Master Card. i think if your under 18 they're not suppose to give you a credit card, but they always seem to disregard your age as long as you have a social security #. i had my own credit card at 17.