attn: VC auto mechanics and/or VW owners

Has anyone on here ever replaced a window regulator themselves?

As many people who have owned a Jetta from '95-'01 can tell you, these cars are notorious for the power windows failing. I have at one time or another replaced the window regulator or motor in all four of my windows.

I drive a '98 Jetta GLX and currently 3 of the windows are inoperable. I need to replace the regulator in the drivers side front and rear windows. And I need to replace the motor in the passenger side front window.

With the warmer weather coming it is increasingly frustrating not being able to put the windows down. I decided that I want to do these replacements on my own if I can.

I found this ridiculous video on youtube and I'm pretty confident I can handle the rear door's replacement.

The front doors look a lot more complicated though. Has anyone ever done this themselves? How hard is it to replace the front window parts?

I don't have much experience working on cars, but generally I'm pretty good at figuring out how things work. Is this something I should attempt on my own or should I just take it to my regular mechanic and eat the bill?

Makes me happy I opted for the manual hand crank window style on my jetta.

The only electrical problems I have are with my turning signal and some bulbs on dash and console and shifter going out. I need to go to the shop to replace these damn lights :/

Personally, I enjoy doing maintenance stuff with my car. but something like this, I'd rather have a mechanic do.

I'm confident that I could do it. I'm also confident that I'd prollie fuck something up.

update: he says that it's kinda quirky to do but not too bad (as far as things on vw's go, that is), so he thinks that you could do it yourself. apparently sometimes even the whole outside of the doors can be removed?

go to www.vwvortex.com and ask those guys. they'll probably have some step by step instructions for you, haha.

I just replaced the rear drivers side window regulator in my car. It was actually rather easy. I got the part from partsgeek.com for 30 bucks. It took me about an hour and 15 minutes to do the repair. I think I could do it in 45min-1hr if I had to do it again. Everything went a lot smoother than I expected considering I've never done it before.

One window down, only two more to go!

• 1 year later...