Hot Water Music "Live in Chicago #2"

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And then you've got the stores that were eBay-ing their copies of the first one.
There were really only two main offenders. One was in Bakersfield, CA and they are OFF THE LIST, believe me. There was another that sold a couple... and there were a few people that scammed extra copies out of stores. I had a few people that work at stores that told me that they pulled the records and then offered them to obvious HWM people. OR busted people sending their wife in to buy extra copies (good job Lunchbox Records: Charlotte, NC!!). I also heard of people filling some of the RSD stuff in the regular alphabet instead of having a separate RSD section that was easier to cherry pick. Dunno. I do know this: if we do PUNK STORE DAY then it will be far less popular and therefore (hopefully) less bastards will be bastarding around. Maybe? Who knows?

-- Speaking of bastards, if anyone wants a test pressing, drop me a PM. I promise to sponsor something worthy with the proceeds. --

Eh...yes and no...I love the exclusive idea, but myself like so many others, don't live even CLOSE to a record store or a decent one at that that would carry these. I found my copy four hours away from my home. Granted, I wasn't traveling just for the 7" (I was on my way to a show), but that's still a long distance for a record. I'm a HWM collector and don't want to miss out on these, especially since I was at those Chicago shows.

And then you've got the stores that were eBay-ing their copies of the first one.

it's almost too easy to buy punk records these days. most people, especially a lot of the newer record collectors, don't care about supporting mom & pop stores, even if their town has an awesome one, they just order online (i know several people from my city who do this, even though they could get almost everything at the local store and cheaper or about the same price after shipping, and guess what? every year music sales at the store go down and down a little bit... eventually there won't be a local record store, that is fucking sad).

accusing stores of ebaying copies is really no different than selling a record limited anywhere (online, store exclusive, at shows) and people will still try to buy as many copies and flip them on ebay.

I'm really really glad I have friends that own a record store, I asked them if they were getting the HWM RSD 7" they said "yeah dude", i asked if they'd hold one for me (my vehicle doesn't work currently...and their store is 2 1/2 hours away). I had a friend coming down to live with me for the summer so he could finish up school, called my friends in advance to tell them who'd be picking up the record for me, so the first day of June, my roomate shows up with that 7" in hand, they wrote my name on the poly-bag and set it behind the counter and still had people offering up extra money for it...stoked to have that record and hope I can somehow snag #2 in this series as well

I see a lot of people assuming that this is going to be a record store only release, yet I can't see that Var has said anything to that effect yet. Or am I missing something?

He hinted that it was a possibility in one of the older threads. To my knowledge, he has not said anything definite, one way or the other.

I see a lot of people assuming that this is going to be a record store only release, yet I can't see that Var has said anything to that effect yet. Or am I missing something?

This is very true. It would be awesome if it were available online. But I guess I'll do what i gotta do to get it.

accusing stores of ebaying copies is really no different than selling a record limited anywhere (online, store exclusive, at shows) and people will still try to buy as many copies and flip them on ebay.

I didn't accuse anybody of anything. If you read the post two above yours, you'd see I was speaking from what actually happened. (Not that I want to start a debate, but I personally do see it as different when a store does it versus a customer)

I'm all for supporting independent record stores, and I do when I can, but when they figuratively tell their customers to fuck off, I couldn't care less what happens to them.

Wayfarer might be my favorite HWM song.

It is indeed one of their very finest. Strange thing, I actually hated it when I first heard it, and thought it was by far the worst song on the album. Now I'm left scratching my head in wonder how I could ever think that...

I always loved it, I also think Caution is their best album, which I know a lot of people might disagree with.

it always kind of bothered me that Wayfarer wasn't the last song on Caution. it's ending is perfect for a last-song-of-the-album, and then when The End comes on, it just feels anti climactic. and that's a shame because The End is a really good song, too, but to me i just think Wayfarer would have been a better album closer. although, if that were the case, they'd probably have to change the title of The End to like Penultimate or something...

Wayfarer might be my favorite HWM song.

It is indeed one of their very finest. Strange thing, I actually hated it when I first heard it, and thought it was by far the worst song on the album. Now I'm left scratching my head in wonder how I could ever think that...

Haha, I used to think the same thing. I first heard it on whatever that year's Punk-O-Rama was (before Caution came out) and I was bummed, but then I saw them play it at Warped Tour and was like, "Oh, now this makes sense."