why does every tour skip florida

I feel your pain Eddie. I ask myself that very question whenever a great tour is announced and no FL dates are listed.

I've been told numerous reasons. For small bands, it's too out of the way and usually no guarantee of a good venue and/or audience. With bigger tours, some bands have petty reasons.

A friend of mine went to the Puscifer show in Atlanta and she got the chance to meet Maynard James Keenan. She asked him why TOOL rarely comes to FL. Without missing a beat he said that FL is a "cesspool of death".

Pearl Jam hates coming to FL b/c we're a "red state".

CT just gets hosed constantly because of the proximity to NYC/Boston/Providence so while i can see any show 3 times within 1.5 hours ... i have to drive 1.5 hours to see it at all.

This is how Sacramento is (SF and Reno), but what really pisses me off to no end when people skip Sacramento to play Fresno or Stockton or Redding which are all 1/10 of the size.

I've been told numerous reasons. For small bands, it's too out of the way and usually no guarantee of a good venue and/or audience. With bigger tours, some bands have petty reasons.

I think this is mostly the reason. At least for smaller bands. We wanted to play a show in Southern Florida but it was like...10 hours down from atlanta and then at least 10 back up to wherever the next show was and it's hard to take those risks when you don't know much about what the show will be like. Especially with shitty vans...it could easily cost you like...500 dollars in gas.

The other alternative is always breaking it into playing like...3 or 4 shows throughout Florida. But I think most of us are just lazy and just decide to skip it.

I'm sure you don't get as many bands skipping Florida as here in Oregon. But there are reasons why they skip certain places I'm sure

We played at house show in Portland and it was one of the best shows we've ever played! It was like...100 degrees outside that day and no air conditioning in the house also. Haha.

We also picked up a suuuper shitty last minute show at a Halloween shop in Grant's Pass, OR? Haha. They made a last minute flyer with huge letters that said "DEATH METAL SHOW" but it was just us...(instrumental band) and a couple old school hardcore bands from Las Vegas?

I'd rather not hear anybody complain about shows skipping their area...

Really?

You are just outside of Birmingham (an hour, hour and a half tops). That is an easy drive.

Orlando is the closest larger city to where I live, and I am lucky because if bands DO tour Florida, Orlando is usually where they go.

I have talked to bands about a suggested Florida string that goes Atlanta, Jax, Orlando, Miami, Tampa, Gainesville, Tallahassee, and then Birmingham, which gives an easy in and out to Florida, but nobody likes it.

Basically, bands feel that by going to Florida you have to back track and it is a waste of their time. Which is stupid, considering Florida is like the 5th or 6th most populous state with 19 million people in it. I would think bands would WANT to come to Florida.

Think about it...

Pensacola, Tallahassee, Jacksonville, Gainesville, Orlando, Tampa, Miami.

All of these cities (and I use the term loosely in a few of those instances) are literally hundreds of miles apart. Sorry, Pensacola, Tallahassee and Jax, but I'd skip you in a heartbeat if I was touring.

That leaves Tampa and Orlando -- only an hour or so apart, but in Central state. This leaves the better part of a day on the there and back trip.

Miami -- forget about it. You're 4 hours from anywhere.

Florida is shaped like a giant dong with an elephantitis scrotum. It is geographically uneconomical to travel when you're counting dollars and cents and praying more than 12 kids show up to a Tuesday night show.

Florida is not a drive-through state -- it is a terminal destination; and not a very good one at that.

I'd rather not hear anybody complain about shows skipping their area...

Really?

You are just outside of Birmingham (an hour, hour and a half tops). That is an easy drive.

the past like 5-7 years have been nice for B-Ham as far as tours...prior to the venue Cave9 the only time to find decent bands was during Furnace Fest...and that was only if you enjoyed Hardcore/Metal bands, Cave9 is gone and now B-Ham has The Bottletree which is great for bringing in bands (if you enjoy super "Indie" bands)...but honestly B-Ham doesn't get all that much.

In highschool (growing up in Huntsville) we drove to Atlanta (4+ hours) or Nashville for shows because nothing came through Birmingham at all

I have talked to bands about a suggested Florida string that goes Atlanta, Jax, Orlando, Miami, Tampa, Gainesville, Tallahassee, and then Birmingham, which gives an easy in and out to Florida, but nobody likes it.

Bands don't got for this because it is essentially making them spend an entire week in one very small part of the country. Yeah, it'd be cool if someone did it, but at the same time when a touring band has limited time, money and resources I don't think they want to tack an extra week onto their tour just to make sure Florida is taken care of.