overpriced record stores

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe's Records is southern Indiana. They have a couple of stores around the area but the one in Evansville is their "vinyl headquarters" as they call it. They had The White Stripes "Under the Great White Northern Lights" for $31. I walked across the street to Coconuts and bought it for $23.

They also had Minus the Bear "They Make Beer Commercials Like This" for $18. I am all for supporting local businesses but when they mark up more than they have to its hard to throw money their way.

I buy all my new music online as we don't have a real record store in town, none whats so ever. We have one place that sells used all at 4.95 a pop, 5.95 if its a double LP, but that's a used book store with a basement full of records. So that's my main source for used vinyl.

I havent really looked too into it but are there any good record stores in Syracuse at all? A friend and myself were going to drive from Buffalo to Albany and make it an all day record shopping road trip. I know there are a few in Rochester but I havent looked into it more then that.

there's a store here that sells no idea records for $18 and 7" for $7-8. About 20% of their records are priced alright, while everything else is overpriced badly. I'm kinda convinced their stock is bought through insound or another mailorder rather than a direct distributor. I feel bad because i want there to be a local store, but with prices inflated by at least $5, i can't help but order online.

there's also another store here, but it's all old records. I've gotten a bunch of great deals there (original replacements, pixies, smiths, beastie boys albums for $4) but if it's a "big" band (beatles, zeppelin, floyd) stuff is automatically $25 or more.

I buy all my new music online as we don't have a real record store in town, none whats so ever. We have one place that sells used all at 4.95 a pop, 5.95 if its a double LP, but that's a used book store with a basement full of records. So that's my main source for used vinyl.

I havent really looked too into it but are there any good record stores in Syracuse at all? A friend and myself were going to drive from Buffalo to Albany and make it an all day record shopping road trip. I know there are a few in Rochester but I havent looked into it more then that.

Well there is "sound garden", but they only sell new vinyl (small selection) and a crap load of used CDs and DVDs, but no used vinyl. Your best bet for Syracuse is the basement of the book store, if your looking for any used classic rock, 80's metal, etc. The last true record store in town I remember was "knuckle Heads", but that closed down when I was about 12, so 13 years ago or so.

From what I've heard there is a record store in Ithaca, and I know there is one in Pulaski, but its small, plus their both out of the way if your planning on staying on the thruway.

If your interested, here is the book store with the basement with about 15k used records. http://www.booksmemories.com/

This town really needs a true record store.

Cactus Records in Houston - Single LPs are NEVER under $15, and big name releases are above list price even. Muse double LPs are $30 or more, for example. I preordered the new Maps and Atlases from the band for $11ppd, and Cactus sold it for $19.

Hogwild Records in San Antonio - Nothing really needs to be said. Everything is over $20. Seriously. I once found a copy of A Wolf Ticket by Comadre that I wanted to pick up. $20, no joke. Never went back.

Park Ave in Orlando is a great store but their pricing leaves a little to be desired.

I spent $38 and change for a Chuck Ragan 10" (daytrotter), Tim Barry 7" (Munford Elem), a Ryan Adams 12" (follow the lights) and a park ave tshirt (which was $10) so that wasn't so bad I don't guess.

But, on the other hand, I looked at a whole bunch of other stuff that was priced so outrageously it made me want to stop buying/collecting vinyl right there on the spot.

I'm disappointed in the whole record system at this point. How is it possible that records went form $8-$10 in the late '90s-early aughts to what they cost today? It's not legitimate inflation because CDs didn't go up nearly as much. I think it's money grabbing. Perhaps the cost of production has risen dramatically, I don't know. But a big reason I've always bought vinyl is it was half the price for the same music. Now it's triple the price. If the problem is all these fucking colors I say dump that shit.

Well there is "sound garden", but they only sell new vinyl (small selection) and a crap load of used CDs and DVDs, but no used vinyl. Your best bet for Syracuse is the basement of the book store, if your looking for any used classic rock, 80's metal, etc. The last true record store in town I remember was "knuckle Heads", but that closed down when I was about 12, so 13 years ago or so.

From what I've heard there is a record store in Ithaca, and I know there is one in Pulaski, but its small, plus their both out of the way if your planning on staying on the thruway.

If your interested, here is the book store with the basement with about 15k used records. http://www.booksmemories.com/

This town really needs a true record store.

I live in Ithaca, and for a long time Volume Records was the place to go, but now they're in two (or maybe more) clothes stores. Their selection and prices aren't bad, but the place you want to go is Angry Mom Records, in the basement of Autumn Leaves. They get a lot of new releases (was there today and saw a copy of High Violet for $19) and are generally awesome.

Hold Fast on crooks ave in Asbury Park, NJ. Very fair and resonable prices. Plus he's really good at finding stuff for customers as well.

I back this statement. Joe that runs the shop is cool as hell usually if you buy a couple records he knocks a chunk off the price. Found some rare stuff through him.

good dude back hard.

I'm disappointed in the whole record system at this point. How is it possible that records went form $8-$10 in the late '90s-early aughts to what they cost today? It's not legitimate inflation because CDs didn't go up nearly as much. I think it's money grabbing. Perhaps the cost of production has risen dramatically, I don't know. But a big reason I've always bought vinyl is it was half the price for the same music. Now it's triple the price. If the problem is all these fucking colors I say dump that shit.

since I started my label 9 years ago production costs have gone up an insane amount for vinyl. remember vinyl is an oil byproduct.

There's that place in Kenmore, NY called the Record Baron here that has an assload of stuff, but most of it overpriced. Not crazy-head-exploding overpriced, but more expensive than you'd like it to be. I can't remember what it's called... the dude is a weird audiophile who bought up everyone's (EVERYONE'S) collections when CDs started coming out. He's got shit in storage he's never even looked at - he just randomly pulls out another box when the supply gets a little lower and puts it on the shelves in whatever system he's got going on in there.

Dude is nuts to talk to, but I don't like buying from him.

There's that place in Kenmore, NY called the Record Baron here that has an assload of stuff, but most of it overpriced. Not crazy-head-exploding overpriced, but more expensive than you'd like it to be. I can't remember what it's called... the dude is a weird audiophile who bought up everyone's (EVERYONE'S) collections when CDs started coming out. He's got shit in storage he's never even looked at - he just randomly pulls out another box when the supply gets a little lower and puts it on the shelves in whatever system he's got going on in there.

I go there maybe twice a year. I generally pick up reissues of stuff for cheap. I think I bought a new copy of raw power for like $8 bucks, and a new york dolls record for like $8 to $10 also sealed. His pricing is all over the place. I wish the store was a little bit bigger. I go to one of his two record shows a year as well. They have gotten really picked over and crowded the last few years though.

I go there maybe twice a year. I generally pick up reissues of stuff for cheap. I think I bought a new copy of raw power for like $8 bucks, and a new york dolls record for like $8 to $10 also sealed. His pricing is all over the place. I wish the store was a little bit bigger. I go to one of his two record shows a year as well. They have gotten really picked over and crowded the last few years though.

Yea, I mean I have found some stuff in there that was a good buy, but I tend to think of him on the higher end of the spectrum.

When and where are his events? I'd be interested in just wandering around. I can't imagine its in his shoebox of a store though.

Yea, I mean I have found some stuff in there that was a good buy, but I tend to think of him on the higher end of the spectrum.

When and where are his events? I'd be interested in just wandering around. I can't imagine its in his shoebox of a store though.

Every April and September. They are held in that little VFW(I think that's what it is) next to Superflea on Walden Ave. The place with the tank in front of it.

He charges a few bucks entry and the hall is packed with people selling records. Some big time dealers, other times just guys with boxed of used records for a flat cost. Cd's and DVD's as well.

I have found some good things there but they certainly don't jump out at you. I think last time I was there I got The Clash's London Calling 2xlp for $4 and maybe some Thin Lizzy records(?).

It's gotten to the point that a line forms outside before the doors open. Which is good in one aspect but obviously also obnoxious in other ways.

If you ever go, get there at least a half hour before doors open and if you want to get into someones table to browse and people are standing around just push your way in or youll never get there.

Also this is sort of off topic but the Guy that ran Music Matters in the city of Tonawanda moved to Niagara Falls and M&B records is now located in there. I havent been there yet but plan on going to both stores new locations.

I always find at least a few things from M&B at the record shows and the guy that was there previously was nice and had a decent metal selection. I have found a lot of good records there. He sometimes goes high on stuff but after you get to know him he will come down a little. I also always keep like a few used DVD's in my truck when I go to him and he will knock the price of vinyl down a decent amount with trade in.

Music Matters also used to do this thing where for every $10 you spent you would get a stamp. After 10 stamps you got a $10 store credit. Thing is he also gave you credit for every $10 worth of stuff you traded in. So essentially you could buy nothing from him and just sell him things and get a free $10 credit. Not sure if he still does that or not.

Dave's Records in Chicago is an...interesting place. One week I went in and found a bunch of rad stuff super cheap (not one thing over $10) and the next time I was there anything I was halfway interested in was super overpriced. It's worth picking over the used section but it seems like his new stuff is always priced way higher than it should be.

I've had the same experiences.