Daniel Craig - post responses to this email

To: Tre McCarthy , Brent Eyestone , [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], Adam Bartlett , [email protected], The Mylene Sheath , [email protected], [email protected]

Hello all,

I won't take up too much of your time.

We've all been there. For some of you, its been a while and, for others, you've just now started to get your feet to where you can attempt the balancing act. But the fact remains that we've all been at the beginning of this road. We've all looked ahead into the future without any clue as to how far or how well our ventures into the music world would go. It's a day to day struggle and it never gets easier, but the rewarding feeling gained from your contribution is what makes it all worthwhile. I come to you today with an idea that could help bring these feelings to others who have grand ideas and are in need of a little help.

I run Fat Sandwich Records and I have used Kickstarter to fund the release of a record I licensed from another label(the only release i used KS for). Some people frown upon it, but others support it. As you can tell, I'm one of the latter. I would like to form a collective of labels that also support the idea of using kickstarter as a means to gain funding for vinyl releases, whether it be a classic or new material from an active band. We would create incentives to be offered on each KS page to which those who cannot afford the often $15+ pledges can get something for their smaller contributions. I propose that we offer a small percentage discount of no more than 10-15% in our webstores, to be redeemed by any customer in any store of their choosing. This will be a one time discount for each successful project pledged to and it cannot be stacked to create greater discounts. We're still working all the kinks out and exploring every avenue as tou how we'll approach this.

Being apart of this collective will not only bring you positive PR, more site traffic, and more potential customers to your stores, but it will aslo bring awareness to a large and ever growing community and culture. Please consider the opportunity here. Any insight into the application of this would be helpful and I'm open to any and all ideas.

Thank you very much and have a wonderful day.

- Daniel Craig

Just want to clear up a few things:

1. Fat Sandwich has nothing to do with this idea.

2. I thought this would be a good idea and i wanted to share it. after a few responses, i began to see that maybe it would need to be tweaked a bit if it were to be any kind of success. This is an email that i sent Brent at MBR 2 days ago:

"Thank you for your response, Brent.... I'm beginning to

agree with you and in my usual overzealous fashion, I've jumped before

measuring the depth in which i've cast myself.... Though i'm 26 and I've

spent more than a decade living and loving amongst the hardcore

community, I feel very out of place sometimes. I believe I must take

things back to the lab and regroup...."

I still stand behind the general idea of this and hope that it might become a reality someday. I have had some interest with a couple of the labels.

One last thing: I do not support the idea of using kickstarter to fund every release you put out, but a one time deal to try and do a larger project is cool in my book. In my eyes its no different than taking out a bank loan to start up a new business. Thank you for reading and enjoy the smiting.

well, looks like brent eyestone posted the email on vlv and themean whoever that mean is, copied it from there and posted it here for a laugh. then danielcraig answered some email that brent eyestone apparently sent him here, while brent was making fun of him on vlv. (confusing?) the biggest thing about the email is that it appears he is trying to put one past the labels. it uses classic pyramid scheme language. the 'idea' helps no one but himself. It should have been pretty obvious a large label would never give away coupon codes to someone who doesn't have money for their own label.

Doesn't sound to me like he'd really gain anything.

From what I understood of it, the whole idea is to offer the discounts to other labels' distros as incentive to fund his Kickstarter projects (as opposed to promising people a physical copy once said project comes to fruition). He'd get people to support his Kickstarter projects, and it wouldn't cost him a dime. Sounds like he'd be doing nothing but gaining.

What I took from it was the idea of getting a bunch of labels that want to support each other and create a group that would support kickstarter projects. In turn every label would end up w/ funding for their records that they're trying to get funds from kickstarter. The whole idea of discounts were for the pledgers, and because it would be a group release the pledgers could possibly receive a coupon code for any of the labels stores involved. I don't really see the terrible part of this, seems like a fairly positive idea, but probably geared toward upstart labels rather than established labels like equal vision. Just my thoughts after reading the email.

What I took from it was the idea of getting a bunch of labels that want to support each other and create a group that would support kickstarter projects. In turn every label would end up w/ funding for their records that they're trying to get funds from kickstarter. The whole idea of discounts were for the pledgers, and because it would be a group release the pledgers could possibly receive a coupon code for any of the labels stores involved. I don't really see the terrible part of this, seems like a fairly positive idea, but probably geared toward upstart labels rather than established labels like equal vision. Just my thoughts after reading the email.
that's what it got from it, but i guess themean had nothin better to do and brent's just a dick

So what we've gained is that James Bond needs to learn how to write a little more clearly.

I think Kickstarter can be legit for something that has already been proven to have some effort behind it and just needs a shove out of the mud, like that BTMI! documentary that needs money to complete the tour part. I think most people view kickstarter as the lazy-man's doorway. Rather than do any work himself, he'll just hope he picked the right good idea and everyone will throw money at him, so essentially he risks nothing.

Like, that zine that's begging for money? $250 is needed? Dude, mow some lawns or pick up your coworkers shifts. You're being lazy. Oh, you put 1500 hours of work into project, sold your car, and are still $1000 short of your idea? We'll help you out.

At least that's my view. Show us you mean business, don't look like a fatass hoping we'll do the work.