Q: how much does moving suck?

Moving from Port Charlotte, Florida to Raleigh, NC at the end of September. ~740 miles.

My first "big" move, although when I was much younger (5 or so) my mother and I moved from RI to FL.

I've got a moving company sort of like PODS for this move, I just didn't feel like driving a Uhaul, and it was the cheaper option anyway.

I look forward to moves though, it's refreshing to change places regularly. I seem to be one of the few people who really don't mind the whole experience.

I personally cannot wait to move. I've lived in the same place since I was a toddler, and have only moved temporarily (dorms, school apartment, etc), so I didn't have to box up all my shit. While I imagine it being a total pain in the ass, I feel the end result would be worth the trouble.

Have helped friends and family move in the past, and haven't had much issue with it. Overall pleasurable experiences.

I also currently lack the motivation to throw away a bunch of old worthless shit that I've accumulated over the years. I feel such a move would help.

So far my worst is Oil City, PA to Jacksonville, FL. Then a year later from Jax to Plant City (basically Tampa area). About 1118 Miles/18 hours total at best. Pretty much shipped all my small crap and just bought cheap furniture from walmart. I get to do the whole damn thing again next month. Flying up to OC to visit my family for a week then one of my best bros that's currently in Hampstead, MD is picking me up since he's moving in with my roommates and I. Actually pretty stoked for the road trip. Plant City is boring as hell and I could use it.

Also, @ Allison, my god, yeah, PA roads are fucking terrible. Mountains/Hills + Bad weather = absolute shit. Makes for an interesting drive I guess since it's not totally flat but goddamn they're in horrid condition.

Guest errolwest

Moved from Vancouver to Regina saskatchewan(where I currently live) not only was it the biggest pain. But it was one of the worst decesions i've ever made. This place sucks/I want out.

Last summer around this time my girlfriend and I made the move from Halifax NS to Ottawa ON. It's about a 13-14 hour drive. It sucked balls so bad. We had a cat with us. And all of the stuff we owned. Luckily we were driving a car and my girlfriends ex-step dad (who is way nicer than the rest of her family) offered to drive our shit down in his cargo van. Needless to say it was quite the adventure.

This year (just a couple of weeks ago) we moved from a 1bd to a 2bd and while the move part was so much easier, setting up and getting settled in has been way more of a pain. This time I'm in school fulltime, as well as working part time, the apartment is at least twice as large, and we decided to paint almost every room and all the trim. Next time we move I'm seriously considering hiring people to paint for us. Or at least offering my friends a lot of beer to come help me do it. Jeez.

I live in New Orleans, which altogether isn't that big of a city but it took me a month to move a few miles away from my previous address. I was too cheap to rent a U-haul and I just piled my shit in the back of my car and moved one day at a time.

My girlfriend was pretty annoyed the entire time.

Then I had the nerve to complain about the stuff she hadn't put away :)

I hate moving so much. My wife graduates college in December and barring extreme circumstances, it looks like we'll be moving from southeastern Idaho to southern California. It's at least a 13-hour drive.

So what is the consensus on moving when you can't fit all your belongings in a car? We have a king size bed, sectional sofa, and a pretty large TV, along with our record collection which now numbers 300+. I was going to go with Uhaul, but someone mentioned something about PODs earlier in the thread that's making me reconsider.

...So what's the cheapest, easiest way to move when you've got a lot of stuff?

I hate moving so much. My wife graduates college in December and barring extreme circumstances, it looks like we'll be moving from southeastern Idaho to southern California. It's at least a 13-hour drive.

So what is the consensus on moving when you can't fit all your belongings in a car? We have a king size bed, sectional sofa, and a pretty large TV, along with our record collection which now numbers 300+. I was going to go with Uhaul, but someone mentioned something about PODs earlier in the thread that's making me reconsider.

I'm using a service called upack. They've got a bunch of options, a big trailer, "relocubes" and whether you want to load at one of their warehouses or at your place.

Check out Upack.com. I'm paying $790 for one relocube, moved about 740miles, in two days. Definitely the cheapest option I found for my needs.

I usually rent a big ass Ryder truck. Those things are so fun to drive. Everybody, especially truckers, give you so much "respect" because they know you're driving a huge truck and have no experience at all. Like i said, it's a blast. That's the part of moving I miss: it's like being on tour. The open road. A different town every night. Just rockin' out all day in the truck drinking shitty coffee and eating speed like M&Ms. That's the life.

I fucked up my last post. I meant to say the best, cheapest way is to just rent a huge Ryder truck and move yourself. Plus it's crazy fun to drive those things. You get total respect from truckers because they know you're driving a huge truck with absolutely no ability or practice. I have truly enjoyed the experience every time.

I'm using a service called upack. They've got a bunch of options, a big trailer, "relocubes" and whether you want to load at one of their warehouses or at your place.

Check out Upack.com. I'm paying $790 for one relocube, moved about 740miles, in two days. Definitely the cheapest option I found for my needs.

I fucked up my last post. I meant to say the best, cheapest way is to just rent a huge Ryder truck and move yourself. Plus it's crazy fun to drive those things. You get total respect from truckers because they know you're driving a huge truck with absolutely no ability or practice. I have truly enjoyed the experience every time.

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll look in to both of these options and though earning the respect of some badass bearded truckers sounds awesome, I might have to opt for a "cube" type situation. We have two cars and it would be so slick to do it in one trip.