Record sleeves (poly bags)

(Sorry if this subject has been covered before but the search function is hard to work with then you're using such commonly used words.)

Do you guys store all your records in sleeves?

Are you consistent in the sleeves you use or do you just store them in the ones they came with when you purchased them?

I'm thinking about buying a bulk amount of sleeves and storing all my records in the same type of sleeve.

What sleeves would you recommend? I'm looking for something nice and clear, not too foggy looking.

Also, are there any sleeves out there that don't have the crease on the side?

Because I store my records with the spine out, it's hard to read the spine when the sleeve crease is right there. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

I bought 200 sleeves from a store a few years ago, and whenever I get a record that doesn't come with a sleeve, or the sleeve is disgusting and beat up or something, I switch it out for a new one. Otherwise I just leave it in the sleeve it comes in, especially if it's a record I have variants of and they put a sticker with the color of the record on it.

Yes, I store all my records in poly outer sleeves. I use the "Ultimate Record Sleeve Outer 2.5"

http://www.sleevetown.com/lp-sleeves-outer.shtml

They are the second ones listed.

I also store mine spline out, and I have the opening of the sleeve facing up. With the ones I listed a quick glance at a shelf full of records you would have no clue the sleeves are on. That's how clear they are, plus there not very tall so the tops don't stick up a inch over the records and look messy as hell. I have no issue reading the splines with them on.

I also store mine spline out, and I have the opening of the sleeve facing up.

I have never understood people who store their records with the opening of the sleeve to the right, so you can just pull out the record without taking the sleeve off.

What is the point of having a sleeve on there in the first place then?!!?

Yes, I store all my records in poly outer sleeves. I use the "Ultimate Record Sleeve Outer 2.5"

I also store mine spline out, and I have the opening of the sleeve facing up. With the ones I listed a quick glance at a shelf full of records you would have no clue the sleeves are on. That's how clear they are, plus there not very tall so the tops don't stick up a inch over the records and look messy as hell. I have no issue reading the splines with them on.

just ordered a 100 of these. thanks for recommendation.

i've been needing to order some for awhile. i ordered a penny sample of the 5 mil, so it will be interesting to compare

at the risk of looking really stupid, what is the point of having a sleeve on there? protecting the record sleeve and/or the record itself from "the elements"?

I do put nearly all my records (i.e., the good ones) in poly inner sleeves (either the paper/poly ones or the clear ones), which I assume do something other than help keep stuff off the records...?

at the risk of looking really stupid, what is the point of having a sleeve on there? protecting the record sleeve and/or the record itself from "the elements"?

I do put nearly all my records (i.e., the good ones) in poly inner sleeves (either the paper/poly ones or the clear ones), which I assume do something other than help keep stuff off the records...?

I aquired a lot of used records from the 70s and 80s and those who did not have a plastic sleeve have had tears, dirt, ringwear, fading covers and general wear along the edges. So if you want to keep your collection in mint shape for 20+ years, you need to protect the sleeves. You should also store your records in a inner sleeve.

Sleevetown is very good.

Interpunk also have good LP sleeves for a good price (US only).

Diamond Groove has good prices for Canadians.

Bags Unlimited is like Sleevetown but their checkout is/was full of bugs and never worked for me nor did they reply to my emails.

just ordered a 100 of these. thanks for recommendation.

i've been needing to order some for awhile. i ordered a penny sample of the 5 mil, so it will be interesting to compare

Your very welcome. :D

I did the same a while back, I ordered samples of all of them to get that hands on experience, did the same for inner sleeves. The 5 mil are nice, but are just too damn thick.

Just throwing this out there, I have like 750 records all with the 2.5 mil outer sleeves and I have not had any single issues with any of them. None have split along the seams, none arrived bent, cut, miscut or anything.

Awesome, thanks! I'm going to place an order for those this weekend.

in this thread, everyone's OCD is on full display.

...but anyone in Chicago if you need these and don't want to pay retail I usually order the 3mil ones at a 1000 at a time so i have extras all the time for the label, you're welcome to come by my place and buy them at cost from me. looks like at a 1000 they cost of $12.48 per 100...for arguments sake I'll mark em up 0.02 so $12.50 per 100.

pm me if you're interested.

I've been considering ordering some anti-static inner sleeves, have a real problem where every time I pull a record out a cat hair will inevitably be pulled to it out of the air. Any of you guys use anti-static sleeves? Do they make a difference?

Yeah they do work. I buy those mobile fidelity rice paper sleeves and they work like a charm, Only thing is they're ridiculously overpriced.I buy them though and would recommend them

Here's where i get them:

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/73913

Sleeve city has some cheaper ones that i have yet to try:

http://www.sleevetown.com/lp-sleeves-inner.shtml

I've been considering ordering some anti-static inner sleeves, have a real problem where every time I pull a record out a cat hair will inevitably be pulled to it out of the air. Any of you guys use anti-static sleeves? Do they make a difference?

I use the MoFi inner sleeves. There available at tons of online retailers.

6 mil poly bags from Bags Unlimited are on all 1000 LPs that I have. I'm working on putting 6 mil sleeves on all of my 7-inches too, but right now I only have the really rare ones in these. I also use the lined inner sleeves from Bags Unlimited for the vinyl after I clean it on the Nitty Gritty. Clean and static free for years to come.

6 mil is the way to go, nice and thick for extra protection, and they don't bunch up when you push or pull the records on or off of your shelves. But they are more expensive.

I re-stocked my anti-static inner sleeves, and I usually put the record in that, which I jam into the paper sleeve it comes with for some reason or another. But this new batch I ordered are super tall, so they get all messed up when I put the record away.

Really stupid, but I'm bummed about it.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my records came in an anti-static sleeve and it does make quite the difference. It just may have convinced me to switch all my records over to anti-static sleeves.

Guest markovianprocess
I also store mine spline out, and I have the opening of the sleeve facing up.

I had never thought of doing this until you mentioned it, and it always bugged me having really baggy looking sleeves whenever I wanted to take one from the shelf to listen to, so +1 for making my collection look a whole lot tidier!