Against Me!

I didn't start this thread to debate if Against Me has sold out (I don't see how one can debate that they haven't), but just that they seem to be the flagship band of this message board, and I just think that they were never that good to begin with. I was trying to get different perspectives on them.

I'm confused. If you didn't want the sellout debate, then why bring it up? If you bring it up then of course people are going to disagree with you. Too many people view things as black/white -- you brought up black, expect white.

I disagree with the "flagship" statement -- I'm not even entirely sure what you mean by said remark. From the looks of it, it appears that you are trying to say that Vinyl Collective is Against Me! and that couldn't be more wrong. I think what makes VC such a great message board is that we are not pigeonholed into a specific genre, let a lone band. The emphasis on hear may be punk rock, but it gets pretty diverse rather fast.

Also, what kind of different perspective on Against Me! are you looking for? The way you tackled this in your initial post is going to get you everything you could get on Punknews.org or wherever Plan-It-X fans gather on the net. If you were looking for healthy and intelligent conversation relating to AM! then you certainly went about the subject in the wrong way.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People smote me for saying that the live Jawbreaker record wasn't worth $400. :D

Somebody smited me because I said Juno was a boring, trite and cliche movie. Its funny like that sometimes.

Smite me again if you wish. That movie was nothing but a boring fucking hipster flick.

But seriously, this isn't punknews, do we need to rehash the same Against Me! conversation.

This is pretty much why I think the whole karma thing is useless and should go.

I didn't start this thread to debate if Against Me has sold out (I don't see how one can debate that they haven't), but just that they seem to be the flagship band of this message board, and I just think that they were never that good to begin with. I was trying to get different perspectives on them.

I'm confused. If you didn't want the sellout debate, then why bring it up? If you bring it up then of course people are going to disagree with you. Too many people view things as black/white -- you brought up black, expect white.

I disagree with the "flagship" statement -- I'm not even entirely sure what you mean by said remark. From the looks of it, it appears that you are trying to say that Vinyl Collective is Against Me! and that couldn't be more wrong. I think what makes VC such a great message board is that we are not pigeonholed into a specific genre, let a lone band. The emphasis on hear may be punk rock, but it gets pretty diverse rather fast.

Also, what kind of different perspective on Against Me! are you looking for? The way you tackled this in your initial post is going to get you everything you could get on Punknews.org or wherever Plan-It-X fans gather on the net. If you were looking for healthy and intelligent conversation relating to AM! then you certainly went about the subject in the wrong way.

I won lie, their "selling out" is one of the reasons I have a sour taste in my mouth about the band, however that wasn't the reason I started the thread.

If you don't understand what I meant, then how can you disagree.

To try to explain what I meant... this message board tends to generally gravitate around No Idea records, but more specifically Against Me. I own many No Idea releases, and I have great respect for Var and the label. But it seems that there is a disproportionate amount of threads about Against Me, more so than any other band, but it's a bit of a yawn after a while. I was just looking for some Against Me detractors, such as myself.

I don't understand why so many people here are into Against Me at this point. Musically, they're mediocre at best. That doesn't even take into consideration that they are now a Hot Topic, poser, 15 year old kid at the mall sorta band that are one hit away from being Fall Out Boy.

Other than very specific types of underground hip-hop, I don't listen to anything but punk music (and the sub-genres under it's umbrella). It's somewhat insulting to punk for you to think that if don't like Against Me, I don't like punk rock. Against Me is far from the poster children for punk rock. Actually, at this point, they may be the antitheses.

I won lie, their "selling out" is one of the reasons I have a sour taste in my mouth about the band, however that wasn't the reason I started the thread.

If you don't understand what I meant, then how can you disagree.

To try to explain what I meant... this message board tends to generally gravitate around No Idea records, but more specifically Against Me. I own many No Idea releases, and I have great respect for Var and the label. But it seems that there is a disproportionate amount of threads about Against Me, more so than any other band, but it's a bit of a yawn after a while. I was just looking for some Against Me detractors, such as myself.

I don't understand why so many people here are into Against Me at this point. Musically, they're mediocre at best. That doesn't even take into consideration that they are now a Hot Topic, poser, 15 year old kid at the mall sorta band that are one hit away from being Fall Out Boy.

Other than very specific types of underground hip-hop, I don't listen to anything but punk music (and the sub-genres under it's umbrella). It's somewhat insulting to punk for you to think that if don't like Against Me, I don't like punk rock. Against Me is far from the poster children for punk rock. Actually, at this point, they may be the antitheses.

Your argument that Against Me! are merely a band for 15 year old kids is rather amusing because this debate sounds like something a 15 year old would make. I have no idea how old you are and I don't wish to insult you, but it comes off as rather petty.

You can follow one very simple rule that I follow and these trite things won't bother you -- ignore things you don't care about. Problem solved.

As for the other part of your post...

I strongly disagree that this board revolves around No Idea records. Your acquisition seems like a weak attempt at having to classify these boards. Not everything has to fit into a niche. There are quite a bit of folks around these parts that like No Idea and that's understandable because they are one of the more vinyl friendly labels. On top of that they may even be the #1 record label if you are analyzing them in terms of collecting. However, VC would still be active if No Idea fell off the face of the earth so your point is moot.

Guest falloutcollapse
i thought the only people that cared about "selling out" were 11 year old fall out boy fans

We're still pissed about that one

Guest falloutcollapse
I've yet to see any 15 year olds sporting beards with Against Me! T-shirts.

You're fucking on

I just shaved, give me 2 or 3 weeks

Your argument that Against Me! are merely a band for 15 year old kids is rather amusing because this debate sounds like something a 15 year old would make. I have no idea how old you are and I don't wish to insult you, but it comes off as rather petty.

You can follow one very simple rule that I follow and these trite things won't bother you -- ignore things you don't care about. Problem solved.

I strongly disagree that this board revolves around No Idea records. Your acquisition seems like a weak attempt at having to classify these boards. Not everything has to fit into a niche. There are quite a bit of folks around these parts that like No Idea and that's understandable because they are one of the more vinyl friendly labels. On top of that they may even be the #1 record label if you are analyzing them in terms of collecting. However, VC would still be active if No Idea fell off the face of the earth so your point is moot.

I'm not sure what you mean by "my acquisition". Clearly you meant a different word, but I don't know what that might be.

Your myopic belief that No Idea is the number one collectible record label is really symptomatic of the problem I have with his board.

Why would someone smite you for not liking a band that they like? That's just retarded. That said, the music I like is better than the music you like.

I smited him because he said this.

(I love smites)

I mean this board is all about helping eachother out, and if I loved chocolate bars, I do hope someone would buy me one.

"Your myopic belief that No Idea is the number one collectible record label is really symptomatic of the problem I have with his board."

I don't get the problem with the board? It makes sense to say that No Idea is one of the top collectible record labels. I think overall, people who are really into vinyl-have been for a long time. Chances are they probably grew up when vinyl was one of the main medias and they probably grew up with No Idea bands. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most collectors aren't out after fall out boy records. Though they are not a favorite of mine by any means, I mean no disrespect. It's just that the majority of their fans are much younger than HWM fans. They probably grew up knowing most only cds. Bands like those didn't start out their touring days pimping their first 7 inches.

I'm not trying to start dumb fights or fuel them. Just some intelligent debate. Please feel free to add...after all that's why we come here: to communicate.

I'm not sure what you mean by "my acquisition". Clearly you meant a different word, but I don't know what that might be.

Your myopic belief that No Idea is the number one collectible record label is really symptomatic of the problem I have with his board.

So find another board.

I really don't understand if this is even a debate. Some people like Against Me!, some do not. Lots of people on this board were/are into that scene and as such have a strong affinity for the band. I don't want to get into punk rock politics, they suck. But musically, some people like bands some don't. You can't please all the people all the time.

I don't want to discourage debate but one of the things I really love about VC is the positivity and I tend to find things like this hamper that positivity.

"Your myopic belief that No Idea is the number one collectible record label is really symptomatic of the problem I have with his board."

I don't get the problem with the board? It makes sense to say that No Idea is one of the top collectible record labels. I think overall, people who are really into vinyl-have been for a long time. Chances are they probably grew up when vinyl was one of the main medias and they probably grew up with No Idea bands. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most collectors aren't out after fall out boy records. Though they are not a favorite of mine by any means, I mean no disrespect. It's just that the majority of their fans are much younger than HWM fans. They probably grew up knowing most only cds. Bands like those didn't start out their touring days pimping their first 7 inches.

I'm not trying to start dumb fights or fuel them. Just some intelligent debate. Please feel free to add...after all that's why we come here: to communicate.

Communication is what we're all here for. I just wish there was a bit more discussion that veered from the norm.

I've touched on it before, but the record collector that frequents this message board one of a different type than the normal record collector.

Communication is what we're all here for. I just wish there was a bit more discussion that veered from the norm.

I've touched on it before, but the record collector that frequents this message board one of a different type than the normal record collector.

i like how your trying to be that guy on the board that everyone hates