Against Me!

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking about Against Me!, if anyone suddenly feels the need to start collecting them after reading this thread (who knows), I've got doubles of those I could sell or trade as a lot for pretty cheap:

Acoustic EP 7" (1st, Black /4542)

Cavalier Eternel 7" (8th, Black /300)

Sink, Florida, Sink 7" (3rd, Grey /1000)

As The Eternal Cowboy (1st, Black)

Americans Abroad!!! (1st, Black)

Actually, according to my research, he raped two women.

I haven't heard about a second, but its been no secret for fans of Crimpshrine or Fifteen for years. Hell, he wrote about it in his book My World.

According to him, he "started raping a second woman", which probably means he raped her, but he didn't cum.

I haven't listened to Crimpshrine in easily 10 years. I never got into Fifteen, nor have I read his book(s?). At this point, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to.

I can't believe I missed this whole discussion from the beggining. I personally love Against Me! They make basic rock songs with basic melodies that everyone at their shows can chant to. The first song I ever heard was "Turn Those Clapping Hands Into Angry Balled Fists" on the Edge in Toronto, and since then I was hooked. I think Spin is doing all they can to make them the next Nirvana, as I haven't read one article where they don't compare New Wave to Nevermind. I don't like reading that because than I feel like Tom Gabel has to die in order for all of that to be true. Either way, awesome band who deserve their success.

Yes, Jeff did bad, and has cleaned up, and trying to make things right ever since...If anyone can think of something bad he has done since cleaning up, then come forward, if not, then you're just stating the obvious.

I take it no one on here who is judging has ever had a loved one, or close friend who has raped, murdered, gotten hooked on drugs, or stolen, etc etc. And has cleaned up and tried hard to make up for it, and better themselves and the people around them. Until you know someone who has done this personally, then maybe you'll understand my plight or why i'm so sympathetic to this man and how i can relate to his cause.

So for those of you who are googling to find dirt on him, yes, he's raped a woman among other horrible things i won't go into, he was on drugs. it was wrong, he's paid for it, he's apologized, he's turned his life around, and he's done alot more for this earth and his community since.. Which is more than i can say for most of us, including myself.

I'm done with this argument. I tried to make a point and it went nowwhere, so let's bury this.. Or how about we talk about AM! performing with HANNAH MONTANA or something?

I had this whole long discussion about if anyone knew a family member or close friend who got all fucked up on heroin, or did drugs, etc etc, and cleaned up....but i'm not..

Why are we even having this discussion still? Aren't we suppose to be talking about AM!? I am at fault for going off on this JEFF OTT thing, I take full responsibility, so please, no more... pretend he died, so we can get on with this thread....

Or how about we talk about AM! performing with HANNAH MONTANA or something?

Actually, I'm pretty sure I brought up Jeff Ott by quoting him before.

I had this whole long discussion about if anyone knew a family member or close friend who got all fucked up on heroin, or did drugs, etc etc, and cleaned up....but i'm not..

Why are we even having this discussion still? Aren't we suppose to be talking about AM!? I am at fault for going off on this JEFF OTT thing, I take full responsibility, so please, no more... pretend he died, so we can get on with this thread....

Or how about we talk about AM! performing with HANNAH MONTANA or something?

Drugs will make you do fucked up shit to get more drugs, such as lie, rob, or even kill. You would do anything to keep those drugs coming. Unless someone was paying to him rape these girls, that excuse holds no water.

I would prefer that he killed someone. I can think of good reasons to kill a person. There is no reason to rape anyone. He's a scumbag, pure and simple. The fact he felt guilty so he tried to hunt down both women (successfully with one, unsuccessful with the other) makes him even shittier, in my opinion. Those women have probably tried to get over it for years. I'm sure they weren't looking for him to contact them to appease HIS guilty conscience.

Fuck him.

It's official... I love Against Me and hate Jeff Ott.

Drugs will make you do fucked up shit to get more drugs, such as lie, rob, or even kill. You would do anything to keep those drugs coming. Unless someone was paying to him rape these girls, that excuse holds no water.

I would prefer that he killed someone. I can think of good reasons to kill a person. There is no reason to rape anyone. He's a scumbag, pure and simple. The fact he felt guilty so he tried to hunt down both women (successfully with one, unsuccessful with the other) makes him even shittier, in my opinion. Those women have probably tried to get over it for years. I'm sure they weren't looking for him to contact them to appease HIS guilty conscience.

Fuck him.

It's official... I love Against Me and hate Jeff Ott.

obviously, you don't know many ex drug addicts. or alcoholics. um, just to let you know Alcohol contributes a big part in sexual assaults. Drug Addicts/Heroin Addicts aren't just heroin addicts, they do other drugs as well as alcohol. Alcohol is a drug right?

And just to let you know, when the rape occured, she wasn't on the straight and narrow either. They were both fucked up. She could have said no, and probably did, and he was so fucked up he didn't realize it. As you may not know, there's a large gap of his life that he doesnt remember. i

'm not saying the rape is right, but it's not fair to say that he did it just out of sheer maliciousness and that he was in the right frame of mind.

So it in essance my statement does hold water. But you made a decent arguement. Except i just have a few more details from my experiences with him. After all i've seen this man years ago, naked running down the street chasing a dog that was barking at him. Doesnt sound to me like a very stable guy at that time.

Ok, end of arguement, you love Against Me! and Hate JEFF OTT, and i love JOURNEY!!!

Now let's talk about something else.

I heard he pushed the guys head only...not that he rammed it into a counter...if they said it was a crusty punk reporting it, i probably would believe it more that he pushed him instead. I have had to deal with a bunch of "GUTTER PUNKS" and 90% are fucking assholes and would probably make up stuff that they were assaulted.

I once kicked a kid out for trying to steal from the shop i was working at, and he started yelling to people on the street that i called him "the N word" because he was asking for food. When he never asked, but was trying to steal potato chips, when he didnt realize we had a camera in the back and was checking him do it in plain sight. So he decided to make up stuff. Luckily no one payed attention to him. So for the most part, i would probably ASSUME tom pushed his head only. But i wasn't there, so i cant relay.

Do you know him personally? or is this someone you talked to on a chat line? I've heard all kinds of outrageous stories about this. Apparently toms friends were there too and thats not how it happened? I thought there were no witnesses exept the people involved and the barista guy who worked there. So this sounds fishy as well.

Regarding Tom Gabel: No one's head was slammed into a counter. All that happened was a drink was spilled. The end. (This is straight from Tom's mouth.)

Regarding Jeff Ott: You remember that sequence in High Fidelity where John Cusack tracks down his ex-girlfriends to figure out what went wrong and make himself feel better, and remember how everyone watching thinks, "Goddamn, that guy's a self-absorbed asshole for doing that"? Well, Jeff Ott tracking down his rape victims is exactly like that, only about 10,000 times worse.

Damn scott, thanks for clearing that up with Tom. I found all that story kinda fishy anyways.

Screw you Scott for even saying that about JEFF (sarcasm) Good Analogy. It makes sense. Because it's exactly what i thought about john cusack when i saw that movie. but like i said, i have sympathy for him and still see him as a good guy since he's cleaned up. he's gone on with his life and done alot of good since then. Much like John Cusack after getting over everything and realizing that what he has is a good thing. That's all i am saying and that he should not be seen as a total scumbag and what he's done is not completely meaningless and shouldnt be disregarded. But again, your point was very well taken, so we should leave it at that.

Actually there was a really ridiculous quote by Tom Gabel in AP, and what's worse is they used it as a pull quote. I thought about writing in about it and then I forgot and then something awesome happened and then I found $20!

Dude said something to the effect of how when it came to downloading, what bothered him was that people aren't getting the album the way he intended. Like, it's not the downloading that bothers him, so much as having the album reduced from it's packaging and such. He said he'd rather help a kid steal it from the store by distracting a security guard.

AND I CALL BULLSHIT. The band still counts a sale, but the store loses out? He'd ALMOST have a point if he said he'd let a kid steal it from his merch table. ALMOST. Wow, Mr. Gabel! You're so punk rawk! You'd help a kid steal from Best Buy! I just thought that statement was fucking ridiculous.

And look, okay, I don't have anything Against Them! I'm what you'd call a casual fan at best. It's not a style of music I'm hugely into, and some of their stuff seems silly to me. I never even made it a point to see them live until they toured with PMFS, Cursive, and Mastodon, 3 bands I happen to like a lot more. I just thought that statement was absurd, silly, misguided, and even kind of pandering. I don't really give a shit about the whole OMFGZ SELLOUTZ thing, I just read that article (written by our esteemed Scott Heisel, if I ain't mistaken) and thought it was silly and bullshit.

This might could be the most rambling post I've ever made here. Why the fuck do I try to make these posts when I'm exhausted?