NYC Mosque

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eriathomas
The more opposition that there is for it, the more I hope it comes to fruition. The opposition to this is beyond stupid.

I agree with this. I can't comprehend how people are so closed-minded.

Most people that are against it don't even know what it is. It's not a mosque, its an islamic community center. People are stupid. There's plenty of real mosques around ground zero, and its not IN/ON ground zero. Its like 2 blocks away. Only racist shitheads want this not to happen.

I'd like to know if these people who are protesting this realize that white, middle-class, Christian American citizens weren't the only people affected by the WTC attacks? Everyone needs to get off their pedestal, quit being so self-righteous, and quit viewing everyone as a potential enemy.

I hate everyone /goingbackonwhatijustsaid

I've been in what people I don't know keep referring to as a "debate" although no one on their side is presenting sound arguments.

A girl I used to hang out with a lot posted something stupid - some patriotic ra-ra app on facebook that raises a flag in protest of the Ground Zero Mosque. I was in a pissy mood so I decided to engage it, and there's 4 different people just shouting things like it's offensive, the date it's opening is offensive, that Muslims are trying to make the US a Muslim nation, that they're all terrorists, that the mosque is funded by terrorists... every time I just calmly point them toward something that points the other way, they don't directly respond to it, then shout something else. I can't believe it.

If they presented something that made logical sense and wasn't factually wrong, fine, they're entitled to their opinion, but they are just full of generalities based in ignorance. I get SOOOOOOOOO frustrated that I know people that seriously think this is an attack on America by them building a goddamn mosque. It's not even a fucking mosque! I even recited the US history of alienating every subtly different faith before finally accepting it, but this one is different somehow to them. I just don't get it. Once it opens, they will forget it even exists and their lives will never be affected, but until that day it's the worst thing the terrorists have ever done to the US.

Unfortunately the masses are not easily convinced once they have one opinion lodged in the mind. And unfortunately many people are willfully ignorant. They'd rather believe their echo-chamber, spoon fed notions than think about things for themselves, be presented with differing opinions, or god forbid, facts. It's a disease that affects all people across all belief systems. That's why 20% of Americans think Obama is Muslim. And that's why those 20% think that it matters, even if it were true. Denying a group to build their mosque, cultural and community center or what-have-you is not only constitutionally illegal but morally wrong. Every group of people have it's outliers. Persecuting all Muslims, American or otherwise, for the unforgivable acts of those outliers is equivalent to the rest of the world persecuting all Americans for the backwards notions of the KKK. A nation isn't defined by it's mistakes - though the US seems to be becoming an exception to that rule.

tl;dr: this shit pisses me off

Less Than Jake recently did a boat show around NYC and they asked the crowd at one point how everyone felt about it. The overwhelming majority was booing... Bummed me out. I also didn't know, and was shocked to find out, that LTJ fans had become college jock-types, but that's neither here nor there.

Keith Olberman did a nice "special comment" peice on this issue. You can pull it up on youtube. I think he might have won more people over if he didn't come across as being so angry. But I can't blame him for feeling that way given how stupid this whole situation is. It really is quite frustrating for those with common sense.

my argument against this has been that just because a few terrorists destroyed some buildings doesn't mean that all muslims are terrorists and/or bad people. i don't understand how some people don't get this. i'm glad this board has all you open-minded people to knock some sense into this craphole of a country. gold stars for all of you!

I hate to be the guy who quotes Jon Stewart when it comes to stuff like this, because sadly that's where a large number of people get 100% of their political / world news from, but he made a really good point on last night's show.

Although I am not at all religious, I am very for the right and freedom to believe in whatever you want to believe. However, the very first thing I thought when this was proposed was "Those Jihadists will be laughing their asses off at how stupid the infidels are to put an Islamic Community Center near Ground Zero."

But to paraphrase Jon Stewart; "Who gives a shit what those assholes think?"