conversations with famous people.

flood

ever run into someone say semi famous who you may actually really want to meet? but then get there and realize that you have nothing remotely relevent to speak to that person about?

yeah thats kinda awkward. like you dont wanna run up to someone that you may idolize and be like "hey dude i love you.. umm hows life?"

so ive kinda developed a system to only talk to celebs where i can interject something totally random, but still somewhat relevent to that person.. but at the same time blow that persons mind because they were expecing idiot fan rambling.

example... a couple years ago we did an outdoor fest at a train station in darien CT... by random chance Moby took the train to ct to visit his parents. Im a pretty big fan of his.. so i walk over and strike up a conversation asking him if hes seen his cousin lately. randomly i was friends with his cousin for years and thats how i got into moby. so we chatted about his cousin's local band for about 20 mintues, and then parted ways.. the entire time he looked like ... so whens this dude gonna talk about me?. it was an overly funny conversation.

now i only bring this up, because im probably going to the nyc foo fighters/am! show, and my friend who ocaisionally plays brass for am! is taking me to the after party. so ive decided to have the most brilliant conversation with dave grohl... now mind you ill probably drink too much and chicken out.. but i think this would be funny. "hey dave.. i know one of your ex's.. jen finch? yeah we hung out for a couple days on warped tour a few years back... i sold some tshirts for her, and she gave me some lawn furniture, you know so she wouldnt have to ship it back to california... well nice talking to you.. and good show tonite"

i think that would be sufficiently awkward for the both of us, don't ya think?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the only time i was ever really star struck, was when tim armstong kinda wandered into a conversation i was having with one of the dudes from troma/backseat conceptions and one of our merch guys.. tim walks over and starts talking about adult indie films. i didnt even have to acknowledge the fact that one of my favorite musicians was standing right next to me, because i was just having my mind blown at how retarded the conversation was.

Guest baseball
or how about ... hey dave... yeah thanks for nevermind... you know id probably be making 6 figures in a swank office job and listening to dave matthews on my yacht if it wasnt for you. thanks jerk.

I like it, I think you should say this.

same problem. whats even worse is when they actually seem interested to talk to you.

Am! usually gets me into shows in houston, so i've been flipping out about meeting dave too. What do you say to a man who is on the radio somewhere in the world, at any second of the day? that shit is intense!

Me and my weird friends like to find people at bars that look like famous people and let them know they look like a celebrity. Some of my friends like to get their picture taken with the person. So stupid, yet so fun. People are totally into it, too. For example, this guy's a dead ringer for Mr. Bean. The picture doesn't do it justice.

[image]

I ran into Chong and his wife at a barnes n noble coffee shop when i went to visit my girlfriend on her lunch break. I timed my walk to the creamer/sugar counter so we would both be up there at the same time, and he was super nice and said hey to me first and i responded with somewhat of a smartass comment "so someone finally sprung you outta jail huh?" and he kinda laughed. But turns out that he was a super nice guy and gave me 4 free tickets to his stand up act that night and gave us a shout out at the show.

I guess its kinda different at an after party. You should challenge Dave to a beer bong contest or something strange like that.

I haven't had a lot of famous run ins, mainly with local athletes.

When I worked at CompUSA former Steeler (current Giant) receiver Plaxico Burress came in with his g/f -- He wanted to buy her a new laptop. I was there on personal reasons, not working. Anyways, I'm standing at the customer service desk checking out, I think I got a cellphone, and I hear him go "Oh shit, I need some chapstick." He then reached over me (I'm short) and my brother (he's like 5'11") to grab some chapstick. I just looked at him like he was crazy.

I sold the 2006 National League Batting Champ Freddy Sanchez his laptop.

Other than that it's been all mediocre sports figures.

Last year I went to see Against Me! in Toledo with a few friends. The venue had this back part that was out doors surrounded by a wooden fence that was about 6ft high. AM! parked their fan right next to the fence and we were looking inside trying to see what movie they were watching. After about 15 minutes they closed the blinds, so I sent Tom Gabel a text message asking him to put the blinds back up because I was watching that. (Don't ask me for his #, I never saved it out of respect of my friend).

My friend just met Trent Reznor at Ikea a few days before Christmas. Apparently he was born or lived just outside of Pittsburgh, Mercer County.

I talked to Dicky Barrett a time or two, he was nice.

OOOH! The best one. A few years ago Heisel put me on the guest list for the Cleveland Warped Tour. My friend Lauren and I were going to cut through the band only area or whatever so we didn't have to touch privates with a thousand other kids all squished together. Anyways, Lars from Rancid comes up to us all haggard looking stops right infront of us and is just like "jaerHeyeeey, where's the afska merch ;alsdjfa at?"

He actually said those typos or at least it sounded like it when he mumbled.

talk to Dave about Cave In.

I met Shannyn Sossamon once, I can't remember the conversation we had, but she came back to my friend and i and asked for a cigarette, I'm pretty sure by that point my boner was visible.

Pete Wentz also told me "nice hoodie" in reference to a Converge hoodie i wore to a fall out boy show 5 years ago.

I think my favorite celebrity conversation story is one I heard about Kirsten Dunst, somewhere on the internet many moons ago.

At some point after the release of Spider-Man, this guy that this happened to was in line at a cookie store in NYC, let's call it the Great American Cookie, he's standing in line, waiting to get his delicious cookie, and Kirsten Dunst walks in and stands behind him. This man waits patiently in line until it's his turn, he orders his cookie, which I believe was a sugar cookie, but it's really not important, and he retreats to a table alone, to eat the cookie and perhaps watch the people walking by and contemplate all that is. A few moments later, as he's eating his cookie and having his moment, the chair across the table from him squeaks across the floor a bit, he looks up, and there sitting down with him, is Kirsten Dunst, smile on face, cookie in hand. They exchange "Hello"'s and in the awkward silence that follows when a beautiful famous actress who's most recent role was the epiphanic emobodyment of the girl next door, the boy's mind more than likely racing with questions, "Why me? Kirsten Dunst, my table? What do I do?" and Kirsten perhaps thinking how embarrassing this could be, what if they just exchange hello's and nothing more? What if she just becomes a story, a brief blip in this boy's life, how does she proceed from here? Suddenly a phrase so perfect and adorable pops into Kirsten's head, she looks up from the cookie that she has probably been nervously taking tiny little pieces off, to deal with the quiet anxiety of the situation, holds her cookie proudly at eye-level, and out escape 3 of the most beautiful words, short of "I love you", a man could ever hope to hear Kirsten Dunst say to them and genuinely mean..."We Got Same-sies". The boy gets up, pushes in his chair, and walks away.

talk to Dave about Cave In.

I met Shannyn Sossamon once, I can't remember the conversation we had, but she came back to my friend and i and asked for a cigarette, I'm pretty sure by that point my boner was visible.

Pete Wentz also told me "nice hoodie" in reference to a Converge hoodie i wore to a fall out boy show 5 years ago.

I think my favorite celebrity conversation story is one I heard about Kirsten Dunst, somewhere on the internet many moons ago.

At some point after the release of Spider-Man, this guy that this happened to was in line at a cookie store in NYC, let's call it the Great American Cookie, he's standing in line, waiting to get his delicious cookie, and Kirsten Dunst walks in and stands behind him. This man waits patiently in line until it's his turn, he orders his cookie, which I believe was a sugar cookie, but it's really not important, and he retreats to a table alone, to eat the cookie and perhaps watch the people walking by and contemplate all that is. A few moments later, as he's eating his cookie and having his moment, the chair across the table from him squeaks across the floor a bit, he looks up, and there sitting down with him, is Kirsten Dunst, smile on face, cookie in hand. They exchange "Hello"'s and in the awkward silence that follows when a beautiful famous actress who's most recent role was the epiphanic emobodyment of the girl next door, the boy's mind more than likely racing with questions, "Why me? Kirsten Dunst, my table? What do I do?" and Kirsten perhaps thinking how embarrassing this could be, what if they just exchange hello's and nothing more? What if she just becomes a story, a brief blip in this boy's life, how does she proceed from here? Suddenly a phrase so perfect and adorable pops into Kirsten's head, she looks up from the cookie that she has probably been nervously taking tiny little pieces off, to deal with the quiet anxiety of the situation, holds her cookie proudly at eye-level, and out escape 3 of the most beautiful words, short of "I love you", a man could ever hope to hear Kirsten Dunst say to them and genuinely mean..."We Got Same-sies". The boy gets up, pushes in his chair, and walks away.

This happened to me at a resturaunt in Santa Fe New Mexico with Val Kilmer. Except he is a total douche bag and he ruined the batman movies. But we did order the same chinese food. So in that case we got Same-sies.