The Best Record Stores in the USA

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This. I haven't been to VF in a long time because it is so damn far away from where I usually hang out (USF Tampa area), so I usually hit up Mojo. Glad they included Banana's...having 3 million records is quite insane in itself. I used to try and keep that place a secret haha.

I guess it's cool that Tampa got some love in the article though.

What places around here do you normally hang out..do you go to USF?

I do in fact go to USF. I am on campus Monday through Friday this semester, but most days are just one class and maybe a help session. I usually hang out in the Citrus Park area, and will occasionally head out to shows at Transitions or New World, but nowadays I am usually gigging on the weekends which has led to a slight decline in show-going.

Glad to see Waterloo made it. If only I lived closer to it.

Waterloo always makes the top list. I know I've said in the past it's semi-overrated, mainly because their used section sucks for punk rock. Slowly but surely it's used punk rock section has gotten a lot better.

Funny thing. I went there tonight with expectations of only finding the new superchunk, and wound up with Bruce Springsteens Live 75-85 box set, Soul Asylum's "While You Were out", Def Leppard's "Pyromania", and Ozzy's "Bark at the Moon" all for $22. All in VG++ condition too. I was stoked. Every time i've gone there in the past 2 months, there has been at least $100 worth of used stuff i wanted. Alot of rare tour pressings too.

What places around here do you normally hang out..do you go to USF?

I do in fact go to USF. I am on campus Monday through Friday this semester, but most days are just one class and maybe a help session. I usually hang out in the Citrus Park area, and will occasionally head out to shows at Transitions or New World, but nowadays I am usually gigging on the weekends which has led to a slight decline in show-going.

Nice. I am there Monday-Thursday. I usually hang out around New Tampa nowadays though since my girlfriend lives there

Anybody ever been to Banana's Music?

Yep. They have 2 separate stores. The first is a warehouse, where the records are somewhat split up by genre. Couldn't find any newer stuff there, only bought a Boston record. The second store is much more organized, and much more expensive. The sheer amount of vinyl between the two places is mind boggling, but not really ideal for collectors of modern music.

Hm, I'm gonna have to stop at Electric Fetus next time I'm in Minneapolis.

you wont like it im sure. ive never met anyone under the age of 40 who does.

i dont understand how this place even made a best record store list. For years they werent really even a "record" store. They got rid of their used vinyl for years, and even when they brought it back they had maybe 100 used records total.

Their new vinyl section kept shrinking too, and they slowed on carrying CDs too. It was mostly a memorabilia shop with bobble heads and action figures and burts bees products, etc.

for years i really wouldnt have even considered it to be a record store at ALL let alone one of the nations best.

Anybody ever been to Banana's Music?

Yep. They have 2 separate stores. The first is a warehouse, where the records are somewhat split up by genre. Couldn't find any newer stuff there, only bought a Boston record. The second store is much more organized, and much more expensive. The sheer amount of vinyl between the two places is mind boggling, but not really ideal for collectors of modern music.

Pretty much. Their "punk" section is like 4-5 expedit cubes (space-wise, not literally) or so worth of records. If you are looking to expand your classic rock collection for cheap, or if you don't mind spending money on some obscure older stuff, this is the place to go.

Princeton Exchange is on there, but no Vintage Vinyl????

For Shame

Vintage vinyl is absolutely terrible. Awful overpriced selection. I go in there to get sleeves and boxes and then continue on my way to PREX.

hmmm that must have changed since I was last there a few years back.. I remember the prices being reasonable and staff being pretty nice. and informative.

Hm, I'm gonna have to stop at Electric Fetus next time I'm in Minneapolis.

you wont like it im sure. ive never met anyone under the age of 40 who does.

i dont understand how this place even made a best record store list. For years they werent really even a "record" store. They got rid of their used vinyl for years, and even when they brought it back they had maybe 100 used records total.

Their new vinyl section kept shrinking too, and they slowed on carrying CDs too. It was mostly a memorabilia shop with bobble heads and action figures and burts bees products, etc.

for years i really wouldnt have even considered it to be a record store at ALL let alone one of the nations best.

I can't disagree with any of this... (in my opinion) cheapo is the place to go in mpls for records

I can't disagree with any of this... (in my opinion) cheapo is the place to go in mpls for records

cheapo is good. its very hit or miss for me. It gets really picked over. and a lot of employees take the best records out for themselves. I think Extreme Noise is not only the best in minneapolis, but one of the best in the country as far as "punk" stuff goes. They dont stray far from punk and hardcore though. Treehouse is also pretty good. a lot more on the "indie" tip of things, but once again hit or miss.

electric fetus isnt even in the top 5 stores in minneapolis let alone top stores in the country.

I don't even shop the Fetus anymore, never find much that's out of the ordinary there. Treehouse has a way better selection, get all kinds of oddball new releases and stuff I never see at any other local stores. Treehouse definitely beats out the Fetus.

Extreme Noise has a great selection too, haven't been there in so long though. Cheapo is decent, especially Cheapo Uptown. I just splurge on used cd's at Cheapo mostly though. Treehouse has a better selection and history than the Fetus, they should have made the list instead.

the real question: is Hymie's worth the trip for current records or are they strictly vintage? I've never been in there.

not sure how Vinyl Fever made the list. not that it's a bad store, they just really don't have a big selection, especially in comparison to other stores in the area like Mojo Books and Music or Daddy Kool.

When they first opened, Mojo didn't hold a candle to Vinyl Fever. For the past several years, though, they've been the best record store in Florida. Daddy Kool is alright, but their new releases are waaay marked up.