labels who license stuff-word of WARNING

xgrantx

http://www.punknews.org/article/40546

"After news hit that Enjoy The Ride would be pressing Rx Bandits' 2001 album Progress on vinyl, the band posted a critical blog update on their Facebook Profile:

Apparently DTR is making more money from our album Progress by selling it for a vinyl pressing we were not asked nor do we get 1 cent from it, just business as usual for DTR ripping off bands.

The label has since removed the order from their website, but promises that the album will go on-sale on vinyl this Friday at 2pm."

If you are going to license and press things from other labels, make sure that you contact the band to see if they are cool with it. You don't want the band going around telling people not to buy your record.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.punknews.org/article/40546

"After news hit that Enjoy The Ride would be pressing Rx Bandits' 2001 album Progress on vinyl, the band posted a critical blog update on their Facebook Profile:

Apparently DTR is making more money from our album Progress by selling it for a vinyl pressing we were not asked nor do we get 1 cent from it, just business as usual for DTR ripping off bands.

The label has since removed the order from their website, but promises that the album will go on-sale on vinyl this Friday at 2pm."

If you are going to license and press things from other labels, make sure that you contact the band to see if they are cool with it. You don't want the band going around telling people not to buy your record.

except for the fact that I(Enjoy the Ride) attempted to contact both the band and management many times, various ways and didnt get a response

except for the fact that I(Enjoy the Ride) attempted to contact both the band and management many times, various ways and didnt get a response

I'm not saying that you did anything wrong or unethical. I'm sure that it was in their contract that the label could license the record for vinyl and other such things. I think they are being a little silly about it. It just sucks that they are making a stink about it when you are just about to release it. I don't think it will hurt sales much, people that want it on vinyl will probably still buy it on vinyl.

SCHWING.

This is the how the vinyl game goes. I doubt Thrice made any cash on the Identity Crisis pressing (I could be wrong) but since they never complained we bought them up no questions asked.

Absolutely 100% false and you are wrong. Please do not assume things when you're not involved with the ongoings and details of how I do things.

SCHWING.

This is the how the vinyl game goes. I doubt Thrice made any cash on the Identity Crisis pressing (I could be wrong) but since they never complained we bought them up no questions asked.

Absolutely 100% false.

Well then there you go, you did it the respectable way, but not all labels are as committed to the artists.

SCHWING.

Absolutely 100% false.

for all of those who care, rx bandits are getting mechanical royalties for the use of their music, so they are getting paid for this one way or another...people dont seem to understand that

Absolutely 100% false.

for all of those who care, rx bandits are getting mechanical royalties for the use of their music, so they are getting paid for this one way or another...people dont seem to understand that

Just to be clear I wasn't criticizing you or your label, I know you said you tried to contact them. I'm just saying I bet there are circumstances where albums from bands back catalogue are pressed without the consent or knowledge of the band.

seems to me that the band is being really really whiny about it. I checked out their facebook, and all the boycott post's and such.

Seriously, if this guy is pressing say.. 1000 of these. Pays a 2000 dollar licence fee, the vinyl cost's 3200 to press, he's looking at 5.20 cents a piece.

His distributor will likely pay him 7.50 a piece or so,

Direct sales.. maybe 12 bucks each.

All in all, even if this label that is pressing this splits the proceeds with the band, the band is looking at maybe 1000 bucks split between all the members. And this is granted that the label does no ads, or paid promotion at all,

Of course that is all hypothetical, but vinyl only releases, very rarely make a lot of money, especially licenced releases.

Licencing other labels releases sucks anyway. Seems that no smaller labels ever want to put out anything by newer bands.

So what are they complaining about? Is it the fact that they dont think DTR will give them the royalties? I think they should explain to their fans a little bit clearer than making a blanket statement of everyone is screwing us. I hope all this stuff doesn't hurt your sales too much.

I'm not saying that you did anything wrong or unethical. I'm sure that it was in their contract that the label could license the record for vinyl and other such things. I think they are being a little silly about it. It just sucks that they are making a stink about it when you are just about to release it. I don't think it will hurt sales much, people that want it on vinyl will probably still buy it on vinyl.

The worse part of this is that Enjoy the Ride did in fact contact the band multiple times and through multiples means and was blown off by them each time. He has enough love for this album to dish out a ton of money to make the vinyl pressing nice (180gram double vinyl in gatefold sleeves) and rightfully paid for the rights to do so and the band ends up being assholes towards him. There won't be any trouble selling these, the packaging and the sound quality alone is something that a true fan of the album would want to own, and trust me, he isn't trying to make bank at the expense of a band, it will take quite a few sales for him to even break even, let alone turn a profit.

I also want to say that this same person (Ross, Enjoy the Ride Records) is pressing my band's 4-song EP on 7" vinyl and we haven't even played a live show yet and the only following we have is from fans of our singer/guitarist's other band. For him to dish out cash to take a chance on a friend's band is a pretty awesome thing for him to do....

if they didn't like the terms of their contract with drive thru, then they probably shouldn't have signed it in the first place.

this

Take it up with Drive Thru not the small independent guy, who innocently wants to see their release on vinyl

I know no one(at least on here) are going after my company, all of my responses are simply trying to clear the air with the "true vinyl collectors" and set the record straight, all those kids on ap.net dont know shit about recording contracts and licensing agreements. People on this board at least understand the way this all works and i really appreciate everyone's understanding and support.. I just hope it doesnt fuck over my sales because I am many thousands in the hole(due to licensing fees and making of the records, art layout etc..) and in order to make the next set of drive thru releases I need these to sell

1) legally its not the licensing labels issue to ever contact the band if the previous label owns the record... which is totally the case here.

2) its a dick move for the band to call this out publicly... because most likely the contract allows the label to reissue the album, or to assign the license to a third party

It's really drive thru's responsibility to pay mechanicals on the vinyl. That's all included in licensing deals, hence why they are so expensive. Their problem is not with ETR and more so with DTR.

For sure. But they drug ETR's name into the mix. So at least ETR has been able to clear their side of things up here.