people bitching about the price of records

flood

THAT IS ALL THAT I AM SAYING. JEEEESUS FUUUUCKING CHRIIIIST. The larger label is making more gross because they have more releases out at the same time. I'm not saying it's better or worse, it is just more profitable at a lower cost per unit to the consumer.

thats not all you are saying. your original statement and point was that a label putting out a single record cannot afford to sell a record as cheaply as a label that puts out records with more frequency. Which you ultimately proved to be completely false, by showing that a label with even one release can sell a record for cheap and still profit off it (provided the pressing sells out, etc).

moreover by saying that because the established label will earn more total money, you are insinuating that an upstart label who puts out a single release is entitled to make more money PER RELEASE than a label who put out 5 releases and spent 5 times the work, energy, effort, money up front, etc.

if anything it should be the opposite, labels with one release should be selling their titles for CHEAPER, because the one release label put in a handful of hours of work in their spare time, and the label churning out those frequent releases quit their job to focus on the label full time.

I never said once that small labels COULDN'T afford to sell it at that price.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THAT IS ALL THAT I AM SAYING. JEEEESUS FUUUUCKING CHRIIIIST. The larger label is making more gross because they have more releases out at the same time. I'm not saying it's better or worse, it is just more profitable at a lower cost per unit to the consumer.

thats not all you are saying. your original statement and point was that a label putting out a single record cannot afford to sell a record as cheaply as a label that puts out records with more frequency. Which you ultimately proved to be completely false, by showing that a label with even one release can sell a record for cheap and still profit off it (provided the pressing sells out, etc).

moreover by saying that because the established label will earn more total money, you are insinuating that an upstart label who puts out a single release is entitled to make more money PER RELEASE than a label who put out 5 releases and spent 5 times the work, energy, effort, money up front, etc.

if anything it should be the opposite, labels with one release should be selling their titles for CHEAPER, because the one release label put in a handful of hours of work in their spare time, and the label churning out those frequent releases quit their job to focus on the label full time.

Dude, Porchlight may not be laying it down with the right words, but what he is trying to get to (at least what I think he's trying to get to) is 100% correct. He's dead on in the fact that labels that press more are able to amortize fixed costs over a larger production, thus lowering the cost per unit.

Economies of scale. Get into it.

Dude, Porchlight may not be laying it down with the right words, but what he is trying to get to (at least what I think he's trying to get to) is 100% correct. He's dead on in the fact that labels that press more are able to amoratize fixed costs over a larger production, thus lowering the cost per unit.

Economies of scale. Get into it.

And thank you. It seems like the easiest, most logical thing to understand, but apparently I am wrong!

I call bullshit on this thread. Labels are taking advantage of consumers because they have lost the cash cow that were CDs. CDs were dirt cheap to make and they sold for $10 to $15. Now no one is buying them, but there's still some people buying vinyl. So they're trying to recoup some of the lost profits from CDs and MP3 sales off the backs of record collectors.

Dischord used to sell their LPs for $8 post paid a few years ago. Now they're $11 plus postage. That's still pretty reasonable, but take the new Superchunk reissues. They are $19 plus postage from the label for a single LP. The Modest Mouse reissues are $22 from the label plus postage. The new Sun Kil Moon LP was $30 after shipping from the label!

There is clearly price gouging going on by labels trying to make a quick buck and people have every right to complain about it. This is going to eventually drive people away from buying records the same way they drove people away from buying CDs. I've already cut back on the records I'm purchasing. I'm sure other people are going to drop out of buying entirely.

I love that most of the people defending high prices (like Alison) simply don't buy many records. I probably buy more records in a year than she owns. Sorry to single you out, but you're being retarded.

I also love that people are like, "Dude... get a job you dirt punx! Records are only released to make money! Up the corporatists!" Should people not be annoyed that oil companies are gouging people? Why wouldn't someone be mad that Matador is doing the same thing? You can make money off reasonable prices. Ian MacKaye is a millionaire.

This doesn't come down to having a good job and being able to afford it. I make a decent living, but I'm having a harder time justifying paying an average of $20 for a new LP. I owned a record store for a decade and I still want to support labels despite selling my store off a few years ago but there comes a point where I say, "Fuck it, I'll just download it for free and listen to it in my car on my iPod." The fact is, I don't have a chance to listen to records all that often and I'm in my car all the time. A grooved piece of plastic is a luxury item of a dying industry and we're in a recession.

Labels need to realize that they need to cultivate the market rather than plunder every bit they can from it and leave it barren.