What'd you do Saturday night?

I discovered through a friend that there’s a place near me that has a challenge to eat a 20″ pizza. If you do you apparently get your picture on a wall of fame with Joey Chestnut and you get a t-shirt. Sweet deal! I’ve done some dumb eating before (including 250 shrimp and a 5 pound burrito in 7 minutes) so I figured I’d see how it goes.

So I went down to the place and picked up one of the 20″ “belly busters” to go and I thought I’d take it home for a trial run.

Here’s some pictures:

[image]

[image]

Before vinyl fans lose it, the record was on little stands (the kind that keep the pizza off the box top)

[image]

Now when you’re about to eat something insanely large there are somethings you want to do. Here’s a list of those things and exactly how I failed at them.

1) Don’t eat most of the day before. Typically, when I’m doing a huge food undertaking I don’t eat during most of the day. It makes sure that I’m hungry and that my stomach is empty. This is why you never do an eating challenge on a whim. However, that’s exactly what this was, a whim. It was also a weekend so I had really sort of grazed during the day so I hadn’t been really hungry all day.

2) Do not take anything that’s harsh on your stomach before hand. Pretty simple, right? You want a settled stomach so it isn’t more upset when you ram shit down your throat. Unfortunately, I didn’t sleep too well the night before so I drink an energy drink on a mostly empty stomach about 40 minutes before this undertaking. Needless to say I wasn’t in top form.

3) If possible eat something simple. When you’re eating an insane amount of something (even something you love) you’re not going to enjoy it near the end, that’s just a fact. My original plan was to get a bland pizza (as you need two toppings), however I thought that if there was food leftover my wife wouldn’t be so big on eating mushroom and onion pizza, so I went with Hawaiian. And, with this much food, pineapple and ham is a big mistake.

It’s also helpful if you can eat a food you like. Sure it may not matter later in the eating (as you’ll be sick of it) but it certainly doesn’t help if you hate every bite from the get go.

I got the pizza home, set it out and got some distilled water ready (I figure with all the grease and nitrates I’m going to need something to help get it out of my body). I started around 8:14pm. By about 8:29pm I was almost half way done, but was experiencing problems. I was eating at my coffee table so I was literally hunched over the pizza, not giving myself room to expand (which is key in this element). Additionally, I was starting to notice that food commercials on TV were grossing me out and I was just generally having trouble watching TV and not becoming annoyed. About 8:38pm I was noticing that the pizza was getting really cold and there was way too much sauce (and the sauce was grossing me out). I took a second to warm some of the pizza up but it’s a bad sign when you start to dislike the food. I tried to push a few more pieces down but in the end I was left defeated.

Here’s how much was left:

[image]

FAIL

I mean, I certainly could have done worse but it doesn’t seem worth it for the three hours I spent sitting upright because it hurt too much to lay down. Given the right circumstances I could probably do it, but I don’t really think I want to try any time soon.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd think doing it on a completely empty stomach would be a bad idea. i thought when your stomach is empty you feel full quicker than if you've been eating regularly throughout the day. i don't know.

also, i used my saturday afternoon to go to a matinee of "no country for old men" because i've been constantly thinking about it in the month or so since i saw it. just as great the second time.

then saturday night my lady and i ate sushi and roast chicken for dinner and played guitar hero and watched the new aqua teen hunger force dvd.

nothing, like a fucking loser!

My girlfriend was studying for upcoming tests and most of my friends work weekends so...

played some nintendo DS then watched a Louis CK stand up dvd, and undead or alive DVD ( its a zombie/comedy western movie. Brian Posehn is one of the main zombies.) it was pretty decent.

and drank a few keystone light cans

There's a number of different things I learned when I went through eating this pizza. Number 1 is that it's fairly shitty pizza. The sauce is really thick and taste like ragu pasta sauce. The otherthing is that there's a big difference between pizzas based on diameter.

For example, with a 6" sandwich if you get a 12", you get 6" more of sandwich. However, as a pizza is a circle a 16" pizza has a circumference of roughly 50" or roughly 200 square inches of area.

A 20" pizza is roughly 63 inches in circumference or roughly 315 square inches of pizza. If my math is correct.

Basically your area increases a lot by increasing the diameter just a few inches. Anyhow, I'd think about doing it again but that pizza was pretty gross.

There's a number of different things I learned when I went through eating this pizza. Number 1 is that it's fairly shitty pizza. The sauce is really thick and taste like ragu pasta sauce. The otherthing is that there's a big difference between pizzas based on diameter.

For example, with a 6" sandwich if you get a 12", you get 6" more of sandwich. However, as a pizza is a circle a 16" pizza has a circumference of roughly 50" or roughly 200 square inches of area.

A 20" pizza is roughly 63 inches in circumference or roughly 315 square inches of pizza. If my math is correct.

Basically your area increases a lot by increasing the diameter just a few inches. Anyhow, I'd think about doing it again but that pizza was pretty gross.

Totally understand that. Just saying we like to have pizza eating competitions. Now we should track down some 20's.....