Skrillex- Scary Monsters & Nice Sprites | GID /500

shley

That said, I have no fucking clue why Dubstep is so popular now, or why Skrillex of all people is the guy people gravitate towards.

This. I feel like Skrillex has made dub step into a punchline when the genre's existed for nearly a decade and tons of artists (Skream, Kode9, etc) have been doing great stuff during that time. Bums me out even more that some consider this dub when dub has been going for half a century and compared to Skrillex and "omg bass drops!!1", solid originators like Kingy Tubby, Prince Jammy, Lee Scratch Perry and Scientist will be seen as boring and old.

+1

i can agree with this completely. I remember being on tumble and someone had posted a screen cap of a facebook status he posted regarding his love for Aphex Twins "Film". All the comments on it kept ignorantly asking where the drop was. It reminds me of when the scene here in town was full of stupid breakdown hardcore bands. It becomes a joke and its disgusting.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And notice how much of Skrillex's fan base comprise many of those same "br00tal mosh" kids - it's just an electronic variant on what's been going on already. I shouldn't care so much because folks should like what they like but it just gets at me that so many people think dub step just formed out of thin air with this dude when it's been around for a number of years and labels like Soul Jazz have been diligently documenting it since the beginning. I guess I can't expect kids to keep up with UK electronic innovations (since those "siq drops" were found in jungle and drum and bass first - again, both owing much to the original Jamaican dub of the 70's) but c'mon - I just find it woefully shortsighted and ridiculous.

This. I feel like Skrillex has made dub step into a punchline when the genre's existed for nearly a decade and tons of artists (Skream, Kode9, etc) have been doing great stuff during that time. Bums me out even more that some consider this dub when dub has been going for half a century and compared to Skrillex and "omg bass drops!!1", solid originators like Kingy Tubby, Prince Jammy, Lee Scratch Perry and Scientist will be seen as boring and old.

+1

i can agree with this completely. I remember being on tumble and someone had posted a screen cap of a facebook status he posted regarding his love for Aphex Twins "Film". All the comments on it kept ignorantly asking where the drop was. It reminds me of when the scene here in town was full of stupid breakdown hardcore bands. It becomes a joke and its disgusting.

I swear some people are so pretentious. People like skrillex because he used to be in From first to last, and they followed his music cause they were interested in what he was doing. It happened to sound good. Fact is these people came from a hardcore scene and liked the fact that it had something similar to a breakdown.

People don't listen to hardcore bands or skrillex type dubstep to be "moved" artistically, or be inspired. Its not a work of art. Its just supposed to be fun. Something anyone can listen to and "get it" within 10 seconds of listening to it anywhere in the song.

If you listen to skrillex or a band like a day to remember expecting to be moved or expect something out of this world, then obviously you're going to be disappointed. Its not radiohead or muse or thrice. Its skrillex, and holding all music to those standards is just ridiculous.

Blame the artists you like so much for not making it "as fun" to listen to. Don't hate on these artists just cause they knew how to make it popular.

+1

I swear some people are so pretentious. People like skrillex because he used to be in From first to last, and they followed his music cause they were interested in what he was doing. It happened to sound good. Fact is these people came from a hardcore scene and liked the fact that it had something similar to a breakdown.

People don't listen to hardcore bands or skrillex type dubstep to be "moved" artistically, or be inspired. Its not a work of art. Its just supposed to be fun. Something anyone can listen to and "get it" within 10 seconds of listening to it anywhere in the song.

If you listen to skrillex or a band like a day to remember expecting to be moved or expect something out of this world, then obviously you're going to be disappointed. Its not radiohead or muse or thrice. Its skrillex, and holding all music to those standards is just ridiculous.

Blame the artists you like so much for not making it "as fun" to listen to. Don't hate on these artists just cause they knew how to make it popular.

You're partly right. "Fun" used in this context means manufactured to appeal to the broadest possible base. So Skrillex is the "alt-rock" (substitute a more contemporary term if you like) manifestation of modern electronic music. The same way the Black Eyed Peas are the Top 40 manifestation of said genre.

But I'm not even sure I think that is true. The idea that "Brostep" would catch fire and fraternity parties would be playing Skrillex seems incalculably random.

What people like or identify with is their own fucking business and frankly I don't care. I'm just honestly perplexed by this particular success, his talent (actual or otherwise) is sort of irrelevant to my point.

Welcome to a message board - where divergant opinion exists.

Sidenote: I personally find Muse, Radiohead and Thrice to be diluted in their own ways as well - by no means is that a statement of fact, folks are allowed their 'pretentious' opinions and if some prefer the source instead of a mediocre copy, that's our prerogative. Just as all music isn't meant to be artful or inspiring, nor is it meant to be entirely 'fun' either. But what do I know right? I'm in the minority since most of what I enjoy came out before I was born. Who the fuck is From First To Last? Hardcore? Nah, that's Negative Approach, Minor Threat and Gauze. This stuff? It's pop music and while I think that's fine and legit, I'm not fine with it being shoehorned into established genres that sound like night and day compared to the artist in question.

Something anyone can listen to and "get it" within 10 seconds of listening to it anywhere in the song.

Also known as "lowest common denominator". Like Two and a Half Men or a Transformers movie. It's just filler entertainment for people too lazy to find things with lasting value that they'll actually love. I've got no respect for this no-talent assclown, he rode the shitty screamo wave with FFTL and now he's just found a new subculture to dilute and pass off to ignorant people.

[image]

As for being pretentious - you're barking up the wrong tree here, this is a board where a thread about 311 represses automatically generates 5 pages of earnest replies.

People like skrillex because he used to be in From first to last, and they followed his music cause they were interested in what he was doing. It happened to sound good.

Had to stop here.

My bad, i meant to them it was good. I personally dislike FFTL, but i think Skrillex is entertaining.

Something anyone can listen to and "get it" within 10 seconds of listening to it anywhere in the song.

Also known as "lowest common denominator". Like Two and a Half Men or a Transformers movie. It's just filler entertainment for people too lazy to find things with lasting value that they'll actually love. I've got no respect for this no-talent assclown, he rode the shitty screamo wave with FFTL and now he's just found a new subculture to dilute and pass off to ignorant people.

[image]

As for being pretentious - you're barking up the wrong tree here, this is a board where a thread about 311 represses automatically generates 5 pages of earnest replies.

Im not gonna lie that is pretty sad. But its debating semantics at this point. In my opinion it takes quite a bit of talent to make something "the lowest common denominator". I just feel some kind of talent to make something appeal to millions of people within 10 seconds of listening. If you disagree, then that's okay and I respect your opinion.

let me know if you own something older than the last year and a half and i'll take your comment seriously...

Oh no wait I just got Rancid-...And Out Come the Wolves that was pressed in the 90's wasn't it?

i don't see it in your "collection"... and you could've bought the RSD special "box version"... you still aren't winning arguments...

Oh no wait I just got Rancid-...And Out Come the Wolves that was pressed in the 90's wasn't it?

i don't see it in your "collection"... and you could've bought the RSD special "box version"... you still aren't winning arguments...

Sorry man, I haven't updated my "collection" in a few months, I'll take care of that soon. I saw you have a big Fucked Up collection in your "collection" would you let one of the more rare Fucked Up albums go for maybe one of my Hot Topic represses or even one of my Panic! At the Disco albums?

Sorry man, I haven't updated my "collection" in a few months, I'll take care of that soon. I saw you have a big Fucked Up collection in your "collection" would you let one of the more rare Fucked Up albums go for maybe one of my Hot Topic represses or even one of my Panic! At the Disco albums?

+1 This made my day better :D

+1 This made my day better :D

your name is blinkfan182... i'm pretty sure the thought of getting a ride to Hot Topic makes your day better...