Skrillex- Scary Monsters & Nice Sprites | GID /500

shley

• 1 month later...

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really wish I could just walk away from this thread ("to each his own, etc), but it's really sad to see so many people jump on the brostep bandwagon. It's not so much the listeners who follow trends and get sucked into hypes but the producers who are trying to cash in.

I'll just say to those listening to this wobbley influnced stuff, you need to dig dipper. It's the equivalent of saying you listen to rock if you listen to Fall Out Boy, R&B if you listen to Bieber, or hip hop if you listen to Bow Wow. Safely manufactured, paint by numbers, follow the winning formula music.

Give artists like Burial, Clubroot, and Sines a listen.

Really wish I could just walk away from this thread ("to each his own, etc), but it's really sad to see so many people jump on the brostep bandwagon. It's not so much the listeners who follow trends and get sucked into hypes but the producers who are trying to cash in.

I'll just say to those listening to this wobbley influnced stuff, you need to dig dipper. It's the equivalent of saying you listen to rock if you listen to Fall Out Boy, R&B if you listen to Bieber, or hip hop if you listen to Bow Wow. Safely manufactured, paint by numbers, follow the winning formula music.

Give artists like Burial, Clubroot, and Sines a listen.

I don't see very much of this in here at all.

It's cool of you to assume most of the people in here are just "jumping on the bandwagon", I guess.

I actually referenced Burial on the last page I'm pretty sure, so I'm not sure what someone said to make you believe this is the case.

I think Skrillex is really talented for the type of music he makes. It may just be "brostep" but it's probably the best brostep I've ever heard.

I haven't heard anything else from the genre I've liked.

Maybe most of the people in here just have a good ear for this type of music.

or you could just not let other people bother you so much.

True, but hard when your scene gets affected because of others.

I don't see very much of this in here at all.

It's cool of you to assume most of the people in here are just "jumping on the bandwagon", I guess.

I actually referenced Burial on the last page I'm pretty sure, so I'm not sure what someone said to make you believe this is the case.

I think Skrillex is really talented for the type of music he makes. It may just be "brostep" but it's probably the best brostep I've ever heard.

I haven't heard anything else from the genre I've liked.

Maybe most of the people in here just have a good ear for this type of music.

I never pointed fingers, so don't take it personal.

Skrillex does nothing to set him apart from others. He'll be a forgotten name in a couple of years and have moved on to the next money maker, as he did with FFTL. With 12 years of listening to EDM I've seen a lot of trends come and go.

I'm gonna step out of the thread because I don't want to start drama, if you'd like to continue a discussion with me send a PM.

I'll just end with knowing someone's musical taste can explain a lot.

I think my only argument with Skrillex doing this as a "moneymaker" is he's been under the Skrillex name for years, when this whole dupstepy trend wasn't anything in North America yet...I think since he left FFTL

From what I remember after he left FFTL he went under "Sonny" which sounded similar to Matt Skiba's Demos album. That didn't really pan out and he restarted as "Skrillex" and tweaked his music. He continued as a band while occasionally djing until 2009 when he went full on with Skrillex.

I think my only argument with Skrillex doing this as a "moneymaker" is he's been under the Skrillex name for years, when this whole dupstepy trend wasn't anything in North America yet...I think since he left FFTL

From what I remember after he left FFTL he went under "Sonny" which sounded similar to Matt Skiba's Demos album. That didn't really pan out and he restarted as "Skrillex" and tweaked his music. He continued as a band while occasionally djing until 2009 when he went full on with Skrillex.

Ah...whatever

just because he was in a "screamo" whatever you wanna call it band doesnt mean hes stuck being the singer of different screamo bands for the rest of his life...the dude has a ton of influences and left one band to expand on another influence

pop/dance music is also huge and the singer of fall out boy has a pop/soul/dance album coming out and people on here are stoked for it...its all relative

it doesnt make him a bandwagon hopper for starting a pop/punk band when he joined/started fall out boy and it doesnt make him a bandwagon hopper now that hes got a dance/pop album coming out....he likes all of those genres of music

Yeah he was skrillex for years before this dubstep trend. I remember finding his myspace and it was under the name skrillex and that was a little before FFTL broke up. Either way, i think his "Sonny" work is what i would prefer listening to.

He was doing some really cool stuff under the Sonny moniker—I wish his full-length would've gotten released. It was such a treat seeing him night after night on the AP Tour and watching him figure out who and what he wanted to be musically in front of 500-1000 kids a night, and just KILLING IT. I never liked FFTL at all, but he completely won me over on that tour.

Yeah he was skrillex for years before this dubstep trend. I remember finding his myspace and it was under the name skrillex and that was a little before FFTL broke up. Either way, i think his "Sonny" work is what i would prefer listening to.

He was doing some really cool stuff under the Sonny moniker—I wish his full-length would've gotten released. It was such a treat seeing him night after night on the AP Tour and watching him figure out who and what he wanted to be musically in front of 500-1000 kids a night, and just KILLING IT. I never liked FFTL at all, but he completely won me over on that tour.

Yeah and in my opinion he was getting better or figuring out for that matter what he actually wanted his sounded to inevitably be like. I saw him about a year after that AP tour when he headlined his own tour and the blew me away.