eBay feedback

Hey - I have an ethical question regarding the packaging of records won on eBay.

At what point is packing bad enough to warrant poor or neutral feeback?

I rec'd a record today that was duct taped between 2 pieces of cardboard. The record was shipped outside of the sleeve, but with no plastic or bubble wrap, and the sleeve took some damage on the corners.

i can see the effort was there, but i don't wanna jump the gun with bad feedback. hoping someone here could help.

thanks, guys!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...I've seen worse packing jobs, that's for sure. I'll assume that this was all inside an LP mailer. If so, here's what I got to say:

-Not there being an bubble wrap is really not a big deal. At least to me it's not. As long as there is some sort of padding inside the mailer (two pieces of cardboard) to keep the record from bouncing around should be OK.

-Poor form to have the record inside that duct tape thing without any plastic sleeve. Kinda lame.

-Dinged and bent corners are going to happen regardless of how well a record gets packed in a mailer or how much padding there is inside. It's the hazard and gamble of mailing it. Unless the corners are all bent to shit then it's a different issue.

-If the record was mailed in that "mailer" in your picture, then I'd be inclined to leave negative feedback. But again, I have received records in worse mailers. Also I am of the mindset that as long as the record itself is undamaged I don't get too crazy about the state of the jacket...esp if it's just minor corner dings.

Inadequate packaging but not worth a negative. I'd message them and give them a heads up that people usually expect a little better job than that. If they appreciate the advice, and many do, I'd leave a positive. Otherwise, I'd leave a neutral for the benefit of other buyers who would avoid his auctions knowing he ships records like that.

I wouldn't go as far as leaving negative. Neutral at most, but definately send them an email about it. (unless major damaged, then yes a refund/full or partial and definately a nuetral if refunded no problem, maybe a positive) I have gotten 2 records in the past tossed in an envelope....no padding, no bubble no nothing. Just the record actually tossed in an envelope! Considering that....yours is packed very well.....but really if no major damage was done, I'd just email, and still maybe leave a positive, just mention better packing would be nice.

I just got a neutral for a record that took four weeks to arrive. I shipped the day after payment but the snow in the northeast threw some flux into the mail. I offered a refund etc. I think it was fair of the buyer. I couldn't help it but I would have been pissed if he went with negative for something out of my control.

With that package I am not a big fan of the duct tape method. He should have used a record sleeve. I'd hit him with a neutral - no doubt he will improve his technique.

ehh i've sent/received quiet a few records like this. i never got complaints because i use the thickest cardboard possible (most of the time, thicker than an lp mailer) and taped it pretty securely. i think i've only gotten one record (ever) with bubble wrap so that's not really a big deal. let's turn this into a complain about packaging thread:

one time, some girl sold me the sold out paul baribeau grand ledge 10" for $8 shipped. i knew it was too good to be true. it showed up in only a decorated gift bubble mailer with no cardboard and was completely fucked beyond belief.

If this was a $5 record with Free Shipping you got what you paid for. But if you bought a $50 record and paid $4 shipping. Request a partial refund for any damage to the LP and the shipping cost. If everything arrived in good condition, forget about the transaction, don't buy from that seller and don't leave any feedback. There is nothing more annoying than someone whining about the packaging of a $3 ebay item.

I got a 7" in that exact same packaging today. Thankfully everything looks good.

Since I sell a lot on ebay I tend to not leave bad feedback unless something really goes wrong and isn't corrected.

4 people gave me below a 3 out of over a hundred transactions on shipping costs and now my performance level is below standard, which is odd because their is a ceiling on shipping for anything that can go media so it isn't like I can charge $6 to mail a record

If this was a $5 record with Free Shipping you got what you paid for. But if you bought a $50 record and paid $4 shipping. Request a partial refund for any damage to the LP and the shipping cost. If everything arrived in good condition, forget about the transaction, don't buy from that seller and don't leave any feedback. There is nothing more annoying than someone whining about the packaging of a $3 ebay item.

it was on the high side of the middle. it was like 23 with 4 shipping. the record is oop and i just took for granted that someone auction an oop record would ship it carefully.

and i wasn't whining or complaining. i was seeking advice from people who are more knowledgable than i.

so the guy got back to me and told me that next time i buy a used record, i need to contact the seller and request an LP mailer. lame. i used a record cleaner on the record last night and the amount of dust than came up was unbelievable. good news is, it sounds pretty awesome.

thanks, everyone, for your input. i appreciate it big time!