eBay changes: Fees on top of shipping, free insert

First off Fuck ebay. Their fees are ridiculous.

They sent out a survey the other day. These changes came fast.

I personally only list on eBay when listings are free anyway. I guess that is always now. That parts nice but the increase in fees will make it more Expensive to sell. Plus with the $4 limit on record s&h well all be taking losses on shipping at 2.77 for an Lp plus .80 for delivery confirmation plus mailers/tape etc.

I just paid a $70+ ebay invoice the other day. sickening.

shit sucks but not to many other options. I always try to sell shit on all the boards first, and ebay is the last resort.

After i get through this last batch of auctions i will hopefully not have to use it very often or ever again.

I think i bought just a few items off ebay in the last 12 months.

First off Fuck ebay. Their fees are ridiculous.

They sent out a survey the other day. These changes came fast.

I personally only list on eBay when listings are free anyway. I guess that is always now. That parts nice but the increase in fees will make it more Expensive to sell. Plus with the $4 limit on record s&h well all be taking losses on shipping at 2.77 for an Lp plus .80 for delivery confirmation plus mailers/tape etc.

Well, shipping shouldn't cost more than $4 for a Domestic addressee. If your shipping more than 1 record then list it as a lot and shipping isnt capped.

I think when they did that they said that people should use paypal for shipping. Just print it out there. I use an outside program and with all my supplies I think I estimated once that I spend $2.60 for shipping an LP. I cut up boxes from random places and use them as stuffing. I reuse bubble wrap and other things when its sent to me. so the only thing im paying for is the box and I reuse alot of mailers too.

the fees suck but your paying for the huge market and that is worth something. if you dont like it, dont list. but theres nothing better at the moment. I personally like the idea of the ebay bucks. Since its come up i've probably made $400 in ebay bucks. I just buy all my stuff there. Deodorant, shampoo, mailers and the money back is nice. plus I have a paypal card so i get the money back from that too.

I'm really not looking forward to those final value fees though. its pretty ridiculous.

Plus with the $4 limit on record s&h well all be taking losses on shipping at 2.77 for an Lp plus .80 for delivery confirmation plus mailers/tape etc.

Ebay lesson #1: Don't use flat rate shipping, use calculated shipping. It's not limited to $4 and the rate will automatically adjust to the buyers postal code, so you don't over/undercharge anybody. Then, add a handling fee to cover the cost of mailers/tape/etc.

Well, shipping shouldn't cost more than $4 for a Domestic addressee. If your shipping more than 1 record then list it as a lot and shipping isnt capped.

I think when they did that they said that people should use paypal for shipping. Just print it out there. I use an outside program and with all my supplies I think I estimated once that I spend $2.60 for shipping an LP.

Not sure how you get it to $2.60. I always do media and I think it's always $2.77 for 1 LP. Add 70 to 80 cents for delivery confirmation (at the post office - I know paypal is cheaper but I've had issues with weights being wrong and being able to get the shipping price right - maybe I'm a tard) and that's $3.57. $4 - 9% = $3.64 and that's without any supplies. I reuse mailers when I can but still gotta buy tape.

Ebay lesson #1: Don't use flat rate shipping, use calculated shipping. It's not limited to $4 and the rate will automatically adjust to the buyers postal code, so you don't over/undercharge anybody. Then, add a handling fee to cover the cost of mailers/tape/etc.

I will give this a try, but still, when I buy if someone is charging $5 for shipping I don't complain - I just bid $1 less than what i would have if it was $4 shipping so the money would still be coming out of the sellers pocket.

I've been using eBay more and more to sell records simply because it gets more exposure. The fees do suck.

I'd sell more on the boards but it seems that everyone wants to lowball already low prices. Even when I sell records for what I paid for them (even like a $10 one), people want to pay a lot less still. Fuck that.

So it's the lesser of two evils I guess for me...eBay it is.

I think when they did that they said that people should use paypal for shipping. Just print it out there. I use an outside program and with all my supplies I think I estimated once that I spend $2.60 for shipping an LP.

Not sure how you get it to $2.60. I always do media and I think it's always $2.77 for 1 LP. Add 70 to 80 cents for delivery confirmation (at the post office - I know paypal is cheaper but I've had issues with weights being wrong and being able to get the shipping price right - maybe I'm a tard) and that's $3.57. $4 - 9% = $3.64 and that's without any supplies. I reuse mailers when I can but still gotta buy tape.

I will give this a try, but still, when I buy if someone is charging $5 for shipping I don't complain - I just bid $1 less than what i would have if it was $4 shipping so the money would still be coming out of the sellers pocket.

Well I ship close to 300 records a month. Anyone who buys from me can attest. ACTUAL Shipping Cost + Tracking for me = $2.57 My tape cost $1.00 per roll. And it can be used for about 40ish records. And Reusing/Cutting 7"s Mailers from boxes. Just saying if $4 isnt enough money for shipping for you to ship 1 record then your probably doing things the hard way. You shouldn't charge people .50 cent for tape if it only cost you a dollar and it will be used for many other packages.

I only used paypal to print labels a few times and didnt like it but i think delivery confirmation is like .15 cents or something. Try something other than the post office to make the price cheaper for you and the people buying! Endica, Stamps.com or something.

You can always charge more but im sure people will get snooty and there will be those dude who will leave negative feedback. Its sickening to see people asking $7-$8 to ship a 7" which cost me $1.70

eBay is an cruel necessity. They charge an absurd percentage for the services they render. Yet, allowing sellers to have a national and potentially global marketplace with very little work is a service that most of us wouldn't really know how to execute on our own, thus they have a niche service and a desirable product.

If you have something valuable, selling on eBay affords you an audience most of would not get on our own sites and even the message boards. Therefore, for that simple fact, eBay can be useful if you're making enough money to cover what you lose on eBay and Paypal fees.

I've sold a shit-ton that I probably wouldn't have sold any other way, so to that end, I am grateful that it exists. I do agree with whoever purported that some sort of competitive site would probably make eBay wise-up with the way they're constantly raising fees.

I'd sell more on the boards but it seems that everyone wants to lowball already low prices. Even when I sell records for what I paid for them (even like a $10 one), people want to pay a lot less still. Fuck that.

no offence but sometimes thats the problem, i try not to lowball but people cant always expect to get back what they paid for especialy a used record thats still in print.

I have started using discogs as an alternative to ebay. It's been working out well for me so far. As long as you are not looking to sell within a certain time frame, it's easy to just list your stuff on discogs and forget about it until something sells. You also get to set your own price, so you don't have to worry about lowballers. (unless you want to take offers)

I don't sell on ebay at all anymore unless it is something hyped that I am looking to sell quickly.

I have started using discogs as an alternative to ebay. It's been working out well for me so far. As long as you are not looking to sell within a certain time frame, it's easy to just list your stuff on discogs and forget about it until something sells. You also get to set your own price, so you don't have to worry about lowballers. (unless you want to take offers)

I don't sell on ebay at all anymore unless it is something hyped that I am looking to sell quickly.

will try this as well

The $4.00 shipping and handling fee is insane. Also, It seems everyone is shipping media mail to get those low prices domestically. Since a single LP packaged properly gets shipped priority, because the weight bumps it up from first class to priority. Add delivery confirmation, and you're looking between 8-11 dollars for the final shipping fee. Believe me, I just shipped out about 20 LP's and they were very expensive through the USPS.

Also how do you ship using online services, the little research I've done it seems you have to have some kind of way to weigh the items you're shipping off. Where do you weigh the records etc or did you buy a weight scale of some sort ?

thx

sickteen