Help writing songs?

Guest markovianprocess

I've never read a book on how to write a song. The best way to learn is simply to sit down, write lots of songs, then throw all of those away, and write better ones. Repeat until satisfied.

I've never read a book on how to write a song. The best way to learn is simply to sit down, write lots of songs, then throw all of those away, and write better ones. Repeat until satisfied.

Pretty much this. Granted having some music theory certainly doesn't hurt but you don't NEED it.

I usually come up with the music first including the melody. I play around with the arrangement until I have the basic skeleton. Then I come up with words to fit. Some people are real lyric fiends so they write all these words first and then try and come up with chord changes to fit. Works sometimes, but not for me.

Think about your favorite artists and what kind of song you are writing. You can pick apart some songs you like, actually learn how to play them and that will get your brain thinking along those lines if that's the feel you want.

Don't know if you're writing on guitar or piano or what, but all of that will make the final outcome different.

Good luck!

Sitting down with the intention of writing a song is going to result in a crappy song. You need inspiration. It helps to have a shitty life.

I had an idea earlier for a song about two people in a long-term relationship who work too hard to notice that they don't even love each other anymore. It's told from the perspective of their landlord who showed them their first apartment together, collected their rent, fixed problems with the apartment, and watched the relationship deteriorate.

I had an idea earlier for a song about two people in a long-term relationship who work too hard to notice that they don't even love each other anymore. It's told from the perspective of their landlord who showed them their first apartment together, collected their rent, fixed problems with the apartment, and watched the relationship deteriorate.

If this song doesn't talk about how terrible the apartment's water pressure is then I call bullshit. Oh, it should probably go into a super heavy breakdown after that. You know, for emphasis.

Pretty much this. Granted having some music theory certainly doesn't hurt but you don't NEED it.

[image]

Sitting down with the intention of writing a song is going to result in a crappy song. You need inspiration. It helps to have a shitty life.

that sounds really creepy dude haha

Sounds more like an album concept...

Sounds more like an album concept...

[image]

two saddle creek references in one thread.

don't fuck with me, forum.

1. Pick your favorite day of the week.

2. If you picked Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, or Sunday, you're doing it wrong. Repeat Step 1.

3. Incorporate said day of the week into your chorus. Remember: more is more. You may also give a shout out to the day previous the one you picked, as well as the two days that follow, but keep it brief.

4. ???

5. Profit.

Guest errolwest
if you need books and tutorials, you shouldnt be writing songs. sorry, but someone had to say it.
no. no one had to say this. its really hard to have a stupid opinion, but you seem to have hit the nail on the head.

the dude wants to write songs, and has no clue what hes doing, or where to start. its a pretty innocent question, and theres no need to knock him for it. does he need a book, or a tutorial of some sort? probably not, but some advice, and pointers would probably help a lot.

my advice: just write as often, and as honestly as possible. youll get it figured out soon enough.

The Beatles would often say this back in the 60's. They had to go on and write bad songs to eventually write the good songs.

My best friend has written probably 500 songs, most of them are crap, most are unfinished, eventually you find a few that catch on to you and you work on making them complete. I would say it's safe to assume most musicians don't like to have the pressure of needing to write a song, rather they let the inspiration come to them. Alcohol can help sometimes, perhaps a good mind-fucking fight with a girlfriend or something of that sort. Try not to overthink it.

yeah man, definitely don't overthink it. get an idea of a direction you want to go in and let whatever comes out come out. if it sucks, meh, not everything you touch can be gold. going at it again and again is what its really all about. find what mood, what key, what tempo, etc you want for the song and then build off of that. lame as it sounds...its like building a house; lay the foundation, build the house on it and renovate it to your heart's desire until you absolutely love what you've built.

Like most people have said, just work and work on it. No books or anything will teach you or even come close to what you yourself feel. Whatever you feel, write about it. Most times people write a lot of songs and discard most in favor of three good ones. If you keep at it, you'll find that eventually you'll find a comfort zone when it comes to song writing and arranging.