The draft? hotwatermusic

so i was thinking...(which was probably my first mistake)

since it seems like the HWM reunion was a major success for them does this mean no more Draft?

i wouldn't be all that surprised everytime the draft played Houston no more then 50 kids showed.

it could just be Texas but who would want to go back to that.

2cents anyone?

i don't know if HWM intend to make this a "we're back for good" type thing. i was always under the assumption that the draft and chuck's solo stuff would continue and HWM were just touring because they had a compilation album coming out and wanted to do a special tour for it. i remember reading the draft had songs for the upcoming record written, so who knows.

I think the Draft looked pretty beat on that tour with Dead To Me last October because at that point, they already knew they were doing HWM stuff and were probably getting pretty sick of playing to 100 kids when they knew they'd be playing to 1000+ in a few months.

100 kids in Cleveland, less than 25 in Pittsburgh. It was a brutal show, but they played well, no where near the best I've seen them though.

simple economics...

you can tour in a van playing to 100 kids a night, which im sure is a lot less fun at their age, than it was 15 years ago. or you can play to sold out crowds everynight hocking $20 b-sides collections on 3,000 colors of vinyl.. and get PAID.

i mean which would you choose?

as much as that sounds like it would be an easy thing to choose. the luster of their "return" can only last so long before it runs out of steam. they need to keep it simple. make money off of these shows only when it is right to do so. i would be perfectly ok with a combination of the draft, chuck and hwm all going at the same time. but these hwm shows are so special right now, i think one off shows is the perfect way to do it.

I think the Draft looked pretty beat on that tour with Dead To Me last October because at that point, they already knew they were doing HWM stuff and were probably getting pretty sick of playing to 100 kids when they knew they'd be playing to 1000+ in a few months.

100 kids in Cleveland, less than 25 in Pittsburgh. It was a brutal show, but they played well, no where near the best I've seen them though.

only time the draft played pittsburgh was in may at Club Cafe, which is a 21+ venue, and they were charging $15 and the show didn't start till 10 PM. thats the only reason why so few people were there... had it been at, oh I dunno... anywhere else that was all ages or didn't charge $15 for a 21+ show, you'd have at least tripled that number. I didn't go because my flight from florida landed at 11:30 PM that night and there's no way i'd have made it.

my thoughts are this...

The Draft is just exactly what The Cro(w)s, Blacktop Cadence and Unitas were when HWM was releasing albums and touring a ton. Just a break from the norm. Chuck doing his solo stuff is like Rumbleseat and can happen anytime because it only depends on the schedule of MAYBE 2 people. But The Draft, just a band to fill time when they ended HWM until the inevitable "reunion" shows. Sure they said they were done, but they've been down that road before only to get back onboard and release more albums. I think the Draft will ccontinue, but on a much slower pace because as long as they do these HWM shows the demand for the Draft will fall off the charts.

simple economics...

you can tour in a van playing to 100 kids a night, which im sure is a lot less fun at their age, than it was 15 years ago. or you can play to sold out crowds everynight hocking $20 b-sides collections on 3,000 colors of vinyl.. and get PAID.

i mean which would you choose?

as much as that sounds like it would be an easy thing to choose. the luster of their "return" can only last so long before it runs out of steam. they need to keep it simple. make money off of these shows only when it is right to do so. i would be perfectly ok with a combination of the draft, chuck and hwm all going at the same time. but these hwm shows are so special right now, i think one off shows is the perfect way to do it.

I don't see them losing steam with HWM anytime soon. They've played, what, 5 different cities so far and have some shows lined up in So Cal, Az, and Germany. There are still a LOT of people all over the country and the rest of the world that would love to get a chance to see HWM. They could do probably do a nationwide tour and get the same receoption and pretty much every show. Could they do 3-4 more nationwide tours over the next 2-3 years and expect to sell out 2,000+ capacity venues every night? No. But for now they could do a full tour and do exactly that.

No way. If they did a full-on national tour (say, 30-40 cities), it would tank in a lot of places. The same thing happened with the Braid reunion tour a few years back -- a lot of the early shows sold out, but toward the end of the thing (it was something like 50-60 shows), they had worn out their welcome. They played one show at the Metro in Chicago the first week of the tour sold-out, then they came back to the Metro toward the end of the tour 6-8 weeks later and it was only half-full.