PO: I Can Make A Mess - Gold Rush LP

Got mine in today. So after more than seven months of having to wait, I open up the package to a photocopy of one song's scrawled-out lyrics. One song. That has 127 words in it. 7 months.

Nice joke.

dude that fucking blows. it took that long to write out one song and then you only get a photocopy?! that is some bullshit

I received lyrics to the song "Gold Rush". Also photocopied. Essentially adding $0.10 onto the cost of the production of the album. Or $0.25-.35 if you factor in the time Ace spent writing it (visible by his handwriting, rushed and inconsistent) and the time it took to go to Kinkos and press "Copy" (gas included)

I got the lyrics to Gold Rush as well. My little brother has better handwriting than Ace apparently does. What's the deal with the way he does his O's? Just one time 'round does it, dude. Just to sum up:

-Double the price for the 180 gram

-7 month delay

-Photocopy of a poorly scratched-out lyric sheet

-Received with bent corners

-All the other variants weren't even the intended colors (AKA what we ordered)

-(assumed) Purposely misleading writing as to what "handwritten lyrics" means

I really, really hate to complain about things but this was a blatant fucking. And zero accountability from the dude.

I just sent him this email:

I thought I would let you know that I received my copies of this today. Am I wrong to have expected the black 180 gram version to include the full album's lyrics hand written? Not just one song, hastily written and photo copied? Your web store specifically states:

"Limited edition variant pressed on black 180 gram vinyl, limited to 50 copies, and includes handwritten lyrics."

Maybe that's vague enough to be interpreted by hopeful fans as "Ace wrote the lyrics to his album out for me". But to also be interpreted by you as "one song of handwritten lyrics, photocopied".

All I'm asking is if I and the other people who ordered the black 180 gram version are wrong in our expectations? A $15 additional premium netted all of us an 8 month wait and a $0.15 piece of paper. $0.50 if I'm generous and factor in Ace's time, your time, postage, and gas to go to Kinkos.

Thank you for your time.

Brian

I'll post any response I may receive.

I'm aware of all the issues with the delay... but can anyone give any input on how this record sounds... contemplating just ordering on of the regular presses. but i wanna know from people on here is the regular one was worth it. (obviously the 180 gram wasn't worth the wait)

EDIT: okay i read through a bit and it sounds like ppl were happy with the sound. but some more input wont hurt.

I'm aware of all the issues with the delay... but can anyone give any input on how this record sounds... contemplating just ordering on of the regular presses. but i wanna know from people on here is the regular one was worth it. (obviously the 180 gram wasn't worth the wait)

EDIT: okay i read through a bit and it sounds like ppl were happy with the sound. but some more input wont hurt.

don't support this "label". don't give this guy any money. don't encourage him to continue to run a shitty "label." if you want the record buy it off someone or trade for it. the guy who runs this "label" is a complete douchebag. further proven by the way he handled this release. he is a typical absoultepunk asshat who has no business being anywhere around a record let alone running any sort of label. he has probably well over 20,000 posts on that site by now. he's the resident elitist asshole over there who criticizes and talks down to everyone. maybe the best part in all this was he threw a temper tantrum when someone posted a download link to Gold Rush and possibly leaked the album in the process, and demanded the links be taken down and anyone who posts them or talks shit about his label be banned. all while he downloads tons of shit people post on that site, even asking for download links and posting links himself.

so yeah. don' buy this from him and support such a shitty person and "label"

I thought I would let you know that I received my copies of this today. Am I wrong to have expected the black 180 gram version to include the full album's lyrics hand written? Not just one song, hastily written and photo copied? Your web store specifically states:

"Limited edition variant pressed on black 180 gram vinyl, limited to 50 copies, and includes handwritten lyrics."

Maybe that's vague enough to be interpreted by hopeful fans as "Ace wrote the lyrics to his album out for me". But to also be interpreted by you as "one song of handwritten lyrics, photocopied".

All I'm asking is if I and the other people who ordered the black 180 gram version are wrong in our expectations? A $15 additional premium netted all of us an 8 month wait and a $0.15 piece of paper. $0.50 if I'm generous and factor in Ace's time, your time, postage, and gas to go to Kinkos.

Thank you for your time.

Brian

I'm curious to see his response, if he does at all...

I haven't given the records a spin yet. I think I'm a bit saddened and disillusioned by the whole ordeal and it's kind of putting me off on spinning this. TEN meant/means a lot to me. It's one of those cliche bands that "I grew up on". Everyone's got one. For the past few years, Ace has continued to produce the same music over and over, making empty promises, and start and stop projects at will. Disappointments like the handling of this Gold Rush LP only further drive home the idea that he doesn't have a lot of control over his career and its presentation. Kind of funny that I received my records today and just a couple hours later he posts 3 new songs. I threw $5 at them. I want to support him. It's just getting harder and harder to do. I just hope for the best for him.

Well, I guess this is growing up.

Thank you for your time.

Brian

The response:

Brian,

I can't say your expectations are entirely wrong. Long story short, after 8 months of being told the lyrics were "on the way" and "done" numerous times, we ended up getting 9 pieces of paper last week. It goes without saying that is not what we planned, and we are disappointed in it as well. We have a full statement coming out tonight or tomorrow through Modern Vinyl that will give a more in depth explanation.

Hey everyone, if you don't know me already, my name is Chris and I run modern-vinyl.com. We just posted our interview with the guys from American Dream Records about the Gold Rush release. http://modern-vinyl.com/2012/01/20/american-dream-addresses-gold-rush-controversy/

To me, it seemed like they were generally sorry for how things turned out but I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on the controversy.

It's taken a few years of this kind of cat and mouse game for me to finally catch on that Ace has little to no control over his career, its presentation, and its direction. It kind of pains me to say that because I just want the best for the guy. But he continually makes promises to deliver albums and projects and ideas, abandons them, and either provides weak excuses or none at all for the shortcomings.

No offense to Jenn, but having your wife and mother of your children act as your manager, booking agent, and who knows what else is one of the worst business decisions you can make. There's no objectivity.

As for American Dream Records, at least they recognize the string of mistakes. However, if they have "a drawn out agreement with Ace and Jenn with regards to releasing/pressing Gold Rush" that details the specifics about the lyrics, a follow up needs to be in order. Ace shouldn't make these promises that he can't keep and ADR has a duty to ensure the terms of their agreement are met. Further, while the gesture is somewhat appreciated, I didn't need another copy of the album to make up for the delay. I could have been sent my copy(copies) of the record when they were in hand and the lyrics could have been sent at a later time. Clearly, it's too late for that, but hopefully they'll find a better solution should they run into issues in the future. However, I do not anticipate ordering anything from them in the future, as a result of the handling of Gold Rush.

All around bummer.

It's taken a few years of this kind of cat and mouse game for me to finally catch on that Ace has little to no control over his career, its presentation, and its direction. It kind of pains me to say that because I just want the best for the guy. But he continually makes promises to deliver albums and projects and ideas, abandons them, and either provides weak excuses or none at all for the shortcomings.

No offense to Jenn, but having your wife and mother of your children act as your manager, booking agent, and who knows what else is one of the worst business decisions you can make. There's no objectivity.

As for American Dream Records, at least they recognize the string of mistakes. However, if they have "a drawn out agreement with Ace and Jenn with regards to releasing/pressing Gold Rush" that details the specifics about the lyrics, a follow up needs to be in order. Ace shouldn't make these promises that he can't keep and ADR has a duty to ensure the terms of their agreement are met. Further, while the gesture is somewhat appreciated, I didn't need another copy of the album to make up for the delay. I could have been sent my copy(copies) of the record when they were in hand and the lyrics could have been sent at a later time. Clearly, it's too late for that, but hopefully they'll find a better solution should they run into issues in the future. However, I do not anticipate ordering anything from them in the future, as a result of the handling of Gold Rush.

All around bummer.

I agree completely with the criticisms of Ace. It seems as if they had a contract with him. Now my understandings of a contract are pretty basic, but hey you signed up to do this, that's what you need to do. It seems like Ace dropped the ball here in promising something he couldn't do and they didn't follow through with any legal action.