Absolute noob question, please help! :)

Hey everyone!

So I've not been collecting vinyl for long, just over a year maybe (and saying that my collection is not the biggest haha), but today I'm facing a situation I've somehow never found myself in before!

Basically, theres a vinyl I missed out on buying first time around (went on sale when I was at work and sold out super quick) which is now on ebay for right now what is a very decent price. However, there are two different versions of the vinyl (black and coloured), and as its sealed and the seller says he doesn't know which one it is, he has sent me the Cat# which he says can tell me which version it is he has/I'd be buying.

My question is, though, how do I go about searching this? I've tried simply pasting the code into Google, and its taking parts of the code and ad-libbing to find other vinyl with part of the code in it, but the complete code is not corresponding (at least, through Google anyway) to the vinyl I'm looking for. Is there a website with a list of vinyl releases from any one record label and their issue no.s I should check? Is there any extra info he could get from the sleeve I should ask for? Or am I just heading in the completely wrong direction in terms of finding info? Help guys! :)

Welcome aboard. Just as an FYI...the plural of vinyl is vinyl...no "s" needed at the end. Call it vinyl and you'll incur the wrath of some of the holier-than-thou types around here.

In regards to your question, unless the label releasing the record marks on the sleeve (or shrinkwrap rather) if it's color or black, only way to find out is by opening the record. There is no special catalog number of barcode or anything like that to mark it as colored.

What is the record in question?

There usually is no way to tell from the jacket if it is color or not. Sometimes the label will do a different catalog number like Vagrant did for Guilt Show, but hardly ever. The UPC is also the same since it has the catalog number in it. Try putting the number in quotes, but like I said, it probably won't lead you to anything useful.

it depends on a lot of factors, first off, what album is it? there are probably people on here that can just give you the answer straight up.

I find discogs.com fairly useful when it comes to things like that, but depending on the genre of the album, there are a lot of other places you can look.

Welcome aboard. Just as an FYI...the plural of vinyl is vinyl...no "s" needed at the end. Call it vinyl and you'll incur the wrath of some of the holier-than-thou types around here.

In regards to your question, unless the label releasing the record marks on the sleeve (or shrinkwrap rather) if it's color or black, only way to find out is by opening the record. There is no special catalog number of barcode or anything like that to mark it as colored.

What is the record in question?

Haha, thanks! As I said, I've not been collecting for long, and as for my spelling the clue was in the title... I just didn't realise that my grammar would upset people so much that they'd sit and spend their own time typing up sad replies rather than helping others.

And its Danger Days by My Chemical Romance, only reason I'm curious at all over the version is the black is going for £20/£30 and the coloured is going for £150, so if it turns out to be the coloured one it'd save me saving up to get that one at a later time! :)

it depends on a lot of factors, first off, what album is it? there are probably people on here that can just give you the answer straight up.

I find discogs.com fairly useful when it comes to things like that, but depending on the genre of the album, there are a lot of other places you can look.

See I gave that a quick check already but it didn't have any versions of the album listed, let alone the vinyl! Was surprised too especially since they have most of the bands other releases, :-/.

There usually is no way to tell from the jacket if it is color or not. Sometimes the label will do a different catalog number like Vagrant did for Guilt Show, but hardly ever. The UPC is also the same since it has the catalog number in it. Try putting the number in quotes, but like I said, it probably won't lead you to anything useful.

this is not always the case.

Rule of thumb: If the person selling a record says they don't know what color it is because it's sealed, it's whatever the least limited version is. In this case, I guess that would be black. If a seller could make more money by selling a colored vinyl version, don't you think they'd open that bad boy and see? This seller knows it's black and is just saying he doesn't in hopes of finding some sucker who will pay more for a chance at colored vinyl.

This may not always be the case, but I'd say at least 95 percent of the time it's a good rule to follow.

Rule of thumb: If the person selling a record says they don't know what color it is because it's sealed, it's whatever the least limited version is. In this case, I guess that would be black. If a seller could make more money by selling a colored vinyl version, don't you think they'd open that bad boy and see? This seller knows it's black and is just saying he doesn't in hopes of finding some sucker who will pay more for a chance at colored vinyl.

This may not always be the case, but I'd say at least 95 percent of the time it's a good rule to follow.

I was coming here to say the same thing. If he won't tell you what it is, it's black.

Hahaha. I've walked into that trap before.