eBay Q: Possible Shafting In Progress

So here's the situation.

On 06.04.11, I won an auction on an LP that - in my books - was fairly pricey. I don't buy many big-ticket items, so $77 (PPD) is something that I get a little iffy on shelling out. I pay immediately, and the estimated date of delivery is somewhere between 06.07.11 and 06.13.11.

So on the 15th - two days after the latest expected delivery date - I politely message the seller. I was very courteous and chill -- I understand that things happen, and I made sure that he knew I wasn't bitter, hostile, or impatient.

So two days go by, and no reply. I would have settled for a simple "sorry. was busy this week. will mail out on monday" response. But I got nothing. Again - I understand that life happens, and that people become busy. But I also think that sellers should have responsibilities on eBay. The guy had no problem taking my $77 immediately; being able to at least address genuine questions seems like it should be a given.

Now that two days have gone by, I message him earlier this morning. (06.18.11, around 02 AM.) I make it a point to be civil, again, but this time I suggest the possibility of opening a Paypal claim if he fails to at least respond. I figured it wasn't too much to ask for.

And sure enough, the guys writes me back this morning. I really don't know what to think at this point. Looking for some insight, from some of you eBay veterans.

Here are the two messages he sent:

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"hey! first off, i just want to really apologize about not getting back you about your item! i'll just give you a brief rundown of why you don't have your item. basically, when i sell something on ebay, and it's paid thru paypal (99% of the time), i would transfer the funds to my bank acct from paypal almost immediately and it hits my bank acct in 3 business days, and i'll ship the item out that day or the day after in which you would have your item in about 7 days from when you paid. basically what has happened was the acct that i transferred to was hit with a number of different transactions during this period causing a whole host of issues, including a negative balance onto that acct and fees on top of fees from my bank. to make a long story short, that acct is now seriously in the red(not your problem, i know), however the funds from paypal did hit that acct and it is still very much in the negative. and the worst part of this is that the bank doesn't really have any control over any of it, so they say. i understand that none of this is your problem and i'm basically emailing every one who has bought from me over this time period this message to just inform and hopefully get some understanding. so to make a long story a little more clear, my next paycheck that i get from my job is scheduled for june 30/july 1, and i requested it to be a paper check because what im going to do to satisfy (hopefully a little bit) my ebay situation is cash the check at a local check cashing place, and send out the items at that point. i know this is really frustrating to you but i promise you will get your money and i will provide a tracking number that saturday, the 2nd. i understand (i really do) if you leave negative feedback about this, because i probably would too, but i just ask to bear with me a little bit with all this craziness. i literally have no money until that day."

"i haven't checked too thorougly if you filed a claim with ebay and/or paypal, but like i said you will definitely get your item in the first week of july, without a doubt. it's my top priority....i'm trying to somewhat save face on ebay at this point because i do buy and sell on a semi regular basis. and to that, if you do have a claim, i know these claims have somewhat of a time constraint on them that will probably be up by then, if you could cancel it, it would really really help me out and cause a lot less stress/problems down the line. if not, that is okay i will understand. please get back to me as soon as you can. i apologize again for not getting back to you sooner but all of these things have really been taking a lot of time and i haven't even had a chance to get onto ebay to write back to anyone that has sent me a message, but if you can get back to me at your earliest conveinence, i'd appreciate it. thanks!"

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

So... does any of this seem fishy? From what I gather, he's essentially not mailing the item out because - despite me paying the funds out of my bank - the money hasn't transferred from his Paypal to his own bank. And the reasoning behind it? - something about being "overloaded with transactions"? I've never heard of such a thing, personally.

What do you guys think? I hate to sound like a dick, but part of me feels like I did absolutely everything right as seller. This seems like a serious issue on his end -- one that should possibly deter him from selling in the future. I checked his feedback, and it's very positive all around. He only has two Neutral feedback, from ages ago. Both people saying that the item arrived in perfect condition, but that it took forever. Which makes me think that it isn't the first time he's had this issue... or at least one pretty similar.

What's the cutoff date to file a claim on eBay or Paypal? I've never had to do one, so I'm a little lost with the process. I'd love to get the record, but at this point, I'm more concerned about not sinking my $77. Anyone have any advice or insight?

I'd totally appreciate it. Thanks.

If you let your 45 day claim window to expire on this one you are the sucker. If you want this item then wait it out. If you think you can do better then don't risk it and file a claim ASAP. Like he says, not your problem. This guy has issues and who knows how many other creditors have a claim to that paycheck. If he is as desperate as he describes then he has a host of issues he's up against. If he has to choose between shipping eBay items and paying his rent then you are not the priority and your opportunity to file is going to expire.

I'd get the credit and bid on this item elsewhere.

You speak the truth, Jerseydave. I refuse to get screwed out of that kind of cash.

45 days is the official limit to open up a claim? That would give the guy until July 19th to deliver. Seems exceptionally fair, so long as nothing goes wrong on his end. A single more postponement would no doubt bump the delivery date past the claim expiration.

Do claims take a while to initiate? Can I open one on the 44th day (July 18th) and be safe?

eBay almost always sides with the buyer, so as long as you open the claim by mid-July if it's still not there, you should have no problem getting a full refund. Every single time I've had an issue like this as a buyer I've ended up with a full refund.

I've even opened claims after 45 days and been reimbursed - I think the 45-days is more specific to non-eBay PayPal policy.

If the seller is duhboardwalk, you're screwed.

Is that their eBay name? If so, no worries.

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I plan on responding to his messages later this evening. I'm just sitting on the fence about what to do. Coma proves a good point; it makes sense to use these kind of security measures, and just close it when everything is aces. But I'm a sucker, I guess, and would like to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Especially given his solid feedback, you know? I think I'll just roll with it, and keep the communication, as suggested. There will be no hesitation to pull the trigger at the beginning of July, though, if things go sour.

I gave this guy who's current name is the dubboardwalk, but has many other accounts (all based in NY) the benefit of the doubt, but he turned out to be a scam artist. Even sent me pics of the item after he won the paypal dispute. Stole $100 from me.

Trust is nice, but always err on the side of caution.

wanna hear real ebay shafting? the other day i sold some rare star wars posters on ebay, the listing ended for $860. the winning bidder has had an account since 2005 and has a feedback score of 2. kinda fishy. so i knew something was wrong, i wrote him and gave him 24 hours to pay. no response. so i offered the posters to the next highest bidders but they already bid and won a differnet auction. so then the only person left to offer it to was only willing to pay $100. kinda fucked up. i think if you bid, you should HAVE to pay. i think that guy was selling the same thing so he used an old account to win my posters so he could sell his for a high price as well. $860 would have been nice. =(

I gave this guy who's current name is the dubboardwalk, but has many other accounts (all based in NY) the benefit of the doubt, but he turned out to be a scam artist. Even sent me pics of the item after he won the paypal dispute. Stole $100 from me.

90% sure duhboardwalk is rick angley. Search for his name in this forum. He's using a different name, but still the Roberts address in the bronx. I sold him about 6 items. Paid for 2 immediately and the other 4 about 2 weeks later, but in the end i got paid for everything. He did buy it now and overpaid for a bunch of stuff. oh well. serves the dude right

Even sent me pics of the item after he won the paypal dispute. Stole $100 from me.

Wow. That sounds like an all-time eBay low. How did you lose the dispute, if you don't mind me asking? Sorry to hear about it, regardless.

I didn't file it in time. He was spinning this long tail how he was sick in the hospital and kept having to go back. He's been outed in the worst sellers thread. You can find him there.

90% sure duhboardwalk is rick angley. Search for his name in this forum. He's using a different name, but still the Roberts address in the bronx. I sold him about 6 items. Paid for 2 immediately and the other 4 about 2 weeks later, but in the end i got paid for everything. He did buy it now and overpaid for a bunch of stuff. oh well. serves the dude right

101% sure it's him. Same stock, same auction listing.

I totally feel like a dick I sold a lp almost three weeks ago and still haven't sent it. Lifes just been a bitch this month.

communication is the key. as long as you tell them whats up it shouldnt be a big deal. i know when i buy stuff, sometimes people tell me they cant send it right away. its better than thinking you could be getting it any day now and then after 2 weeks finding out it hasnt even been sent. but you better make up for it and send it first class instead of media.

I would have opened case right away, closed it when the item arrived. That system is in place for a reason. Use it.

You are encouraging abuse of the said system.

The time frame the seller quoted is still well inside the claim period, and feedback points to a good seller. Give it until July 11, the 4th will delay mail but he should send priority.

^abuse or not, there's a reason I've never been fucked over on eBay before. I also sell a lot of things there and make damn sure everything is shipped out right away.

100% feedback with 0 cases opened against me.

Proofs in the pudding son, eat up.

You sound like a dick.

The guy could very well be telling the truth and having some financial issues. Filing the claim is all well and good but give the seller a chance to sort it. PayPal claims mess up your PayPal account (as a seller) so give the guy a break and file the claim at a later date if need be.

The seller does sound like a bit of a flake but I have no problem at all waing a few weeks for a record.

I've never been screwed over Ebay either. You can be reasonable and cool about something and still be fine.

Eat it up, son.

^abuse or not, there's a reason I've never been fucked over on eBay before. I also sell a lot of things there and make damn sure everything is shipped out right away.

100% feedback with 0 cases opened against me.

Proofs in the pudding son, eat up.

You sound like a dick.

The guy could very well be telling the truth and having some financial issues. Filing the claim is all well and good but give the seller a chance to sort it. PayPal claims mess up your PayPal account (as a seller) so give the guy a break and file the claim at a later date if need be.

The seller does sound like a bit of a flake but I have no problem at all waing a few weeks for a record.

I've never been screwed over Ebay either. You can be reasonable and cool about something and still be fine.

Eat it up, son.

[image]

Guest markovianprocess

I'd say you should file the claim now and get out while you still can.

It should give a rating of how many days the item takes to ship on eBay, and if that says anything less than a month (which it should), then he's broken a transaction promise.

Would you have bid on the record if it said in the listing - "this record will ship to you next month"? I don't think so.

Listing stuff on eBay with the intention of deceiving your customers and trying to make them then feel sorry for you is low.

My bank balance is minus £400 and I don't have any income, and I'm having no problem shipping records out on time.

You sound like a dick.

Eat it up, son.

[image]

HA!

Even though I disagree with you that's still pretty funny.

I remember buying records before the internet so these issues are fairly trivial to me. When waiting 6 weeks for a record you'd paid for wasn't a big deal at all. Thems were the days.

Had terrible, terrible trouble with him around this time last year. Kept fobbing me off with story after story, until the records finally arrived on the day of the paypal dispute limit.

Only problem being, he actually over declared their worth just to get back at me, so I had to pay a LOT more on top, in form of customs charges. :'(