The Fall of Troy- Doppelgänger(few test preses ava

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's not DIY because he outsources majority of the work. he uses pirates press and licenses most of his releases so he doesnt have to pay for the recording process or for promotion. also doesnt have to worry about distribution or consignment loss with these licensed releases because he has sold all of them in his free store envy story up until now.

the most DIY he does is sliding the records in the jackets and packaging them for shipping.

This guy understands.

He was posting about how he had interns packing his orders for an earlier release.

it's not DIY because he outsources majority of the work. he uses pirates press and licenses most of his releases so he doesnt have to pay for the recording process or for promotion. also doesnt have to worry about distribution or consignment loss with these licensed releases because he has sold all of them in his free storenvy store up until now.

the most DIY he does is sliding the records in the jackets and packaging them for shipping.

That definitely puts a perspective on it. Either way, he's getting records pressed that no one else is doing. I'm ok with that. I've always wanted to get certain titles pressed and go pretty much the same route that he's going just because they are titles I want to see on vinyl. But for the record, I realize now why this does not fall in to the category of what would traditionally be called a do it yourself label. But again, times are different and business models have to adapt. He's found a way to do this that works for him.

it's not DIY because he outsources majority of the work. he uses pirates press and licenses most of his releases so he doesnt have to pay for the recording process or for promotion. also doesnt have to worry about distribution or consignment loss with these licensed releases because he has sold all of them in his free store envy story up until now.

This guy understands.

He was posting about how he had interns packing his orders for an earlier release.

how do i make the clapping hands smiley face dude?

the original comment is true and in all honesty (personally for me) it is nothing against this guy or how he wants to run his shit, but the truth is the truth and at the end of the day some people out there may not see eye to eye on this approach (really not for them to judge if you are all holy rolly but still it is the way we as people are). imo there is no reason for people to cover up the truth or church it up by stating well don't buy or don't complain or don't judge because it is an awesome release, but it is the customers alone who should have an opinion and voice. in most business models (fails in large corporations i would imagine ) it is the opinions of the consumers and criticism that helps you grow and get better and push the company in a positive direction, it really should be taken as suggestions and want the people paying and helping you *make your living* are really valuable or can be. of course people will bitch but if excessive bitching is common would it not make you think hey maybe i can work on this, this, and this allowing me to benefit my clients which in turn benefits me. as joe dirt says "it's all about the consumerrrrr"

edit: by no means am i saying that in any case complaining or constructive criticism is best for a message board and could be more effective if directly told to the person themselves (one would imagine that a non-defensive person or closed minded type of individual would be thankful for the advice, even if harshly taken when read. the person though must realize more people then not are gonna complain about it rather than send words of appraisal. i have never once called amazon and thanked them for all my orders but i have called once or twice to tell em something got lost or was damaged or center label on record was like two labels stuck together i assumed from the plant itself)

i think this is blown way out of proportion!

the people that bitch on this board do it for every record. for every 2 people that bitch, there are 100 more people that are completely satisfied with ETR's production. that's just how it is. you think that there's a lot of complaining going on but it gets magnified in your mind because it's all you read about.

i bet if everyone who's ever dealt with this label gave a thumbs up or a thumbs down you'd have a 50:1 ratio.

people like to bitch and complain. thats just how society works. we all expect things to be perfect. we take it for granted. when it works that way - great; that's how it's supposed to be and there's no need to dote on about how wonderful that product is. yet, when people find a miniscule fault, that's all this board ever hears about.

in reality, this is one of the better labels out there and almost all of us have been very satisfied with their work.

don't like it? save your $17 for some weed and mellow out

does anyone know how much it costs to license something like this? obviously is varies from label to label but an average number will do. not asking to have an idea of costs so i can press something myself, just curious to see how much these labels actually sink into licensing an album.

Licensing for EVR is 20% of the pressing. No money. Which is why ETR is giving them 300 copies out of 1500.

Also. Bitching about bitching.

It aggravates me that people assume +$17 & shipping is an OK price for stand alone record.

It's this way because asshats will pay that amount and use the 'ol "I support the music and can afford it" moto like it's a fucking identity or something.

No Idea does it right. Everyone should follow their business model.

Damn this thread has gotten stupid, all I know is that one of my favorite records of all time, that I could normally have never owned for under $75 bucks ( and without having to go through retarded eBay ) is now going to be available for $17 and a couple extra bucks to have it come to my doorstep...

I won't care how much this dude makes, or how many test presses he does...when this is spinning on my record player...

Damn this thread has gotten stupid, all I know is that one of my favorite records of all time, that I could normally have never owned for under $75 bucks ( and without having to go through retarded eBay ) is now going to be available for $17 and a couple extra bucks to have it come to my doorstep...

I won't care how much this dude makes, or how many test presses he does...when this is spinning on my record player...

To be fair I can understand some of the points people are making...

But yes, main thing is I'll be able to own this.

Yeah, I'm definitely an integral part in making this thread get off track. For that, I apologize. Back to partying over the fact that I can rock "Tom Waits" and "Laces Out, Dan" from my turntable. Two of my favorite tracks. Though I love the whole album. Fuckin' "Whacko Jacko...." goddamn. Gonna be good.

Lololol at DIY.

up to this point every one of my releases have been packed in my basement. This was a big jump for us as a company to be able to make a retail exclusive color and go from smaller runs of 500 to 1500 so keep hating but obviously its the same few people that have all the negative stuff to say

if you really were DIY you wouldnt be referring to yourself as "us as a company"

Please tell me what is DIY about the project. 66% of your "sales" are funded with corporate backing (1000 of the 1500 pressed are paid for by a corporation). You licensed this from a major corporation. The recording, the art, the production.....all that was done by someone else with corporate backing.

Im assuming this was a package deal with the pressing plant, probably pirates press, where they assemble and do everything for you.

Meaning all you did personally was sign a handful of contracts with various corporations.

Almost nothing about this project was done by yourself.

I personally don't care about if he's DIY or not. He definitely probably shouldn't start something like this if he can't pack 500 orders without complaining about it and charging more for "employees"

I'd like to buy this but i'll wait for the 900 of them that will be on the HT clearance and get it for $2.38

Please tell me what is DIY about the project. 66% of your "sales" are funded with corporate backing (1000 of the 1500 pressed are paid for by a corporation). You licensed this from a major corporation. The recording, the art, the production.....all that was done by someone else with corporate backing.

Im assuming this was a package deal with the pressing plant, probably pirates press, where they assemble and do everything for you.

Meaning all you did personally was sign a handful of contracts with various corporations.

Almost nothing about this project was done by yourself.

well, he probably signed said contracts with his own hand.

anyway, i dont really care what he or anybody else does in terms of releasing records but i havent cared about a single release from ETR - and judging whats been / is being released, i doubt that will be changing any time soon.

carry on.

oh i agree. DIY or not, the end product is what he is going for, and thats fine. I buy lots of things from corporations and buy major label records, etc.

I just dont think that an entity like that should get offended if someone accuses them of not being DIY, and trying to defend that is ridiculous. Just say "so? im in it to win it" and post a picture with the mad skrilla you pull in, and buy yourself a big escalade with your labels logo painted on it.

oh i agree. DIY or not, the end product is what he is going for, and thats fine. I buy lots of things from corporations and buy major label records, etc.

I just dont think that an entity like that should get offended if someone accuses them of not being DIY, and trying to defend that is ridiculous. Just say "so? im in it to win it" and post a picture with the mad skrilla you pull in, and buy yourself a big escalade with your labels logo painted on it.

+1

These threads get so old. Every single release Ross puts out, there is a wave of elitist "old-school" labels who get so worked up that they have to try to bring Ross down because he's not doing it their way. Who cares what he puts out? Who cares how he puts it out? Worry about your own stuff.