Jacket damaged on eBay item

So today I received an item that I have been waiting on for a few weeks and to my surprise it had been mailed in a bubble mailer. Sure enough all the corners around the record were bent. Pretty considerable bends too not just minor ones.

I'd also like to note that he wanted to ship UPS ground for $11 and I initially emailed him before bidding asking why he charged so much and that media mail is only $4-5. I gave in and paid anyway because the final bid was low.

So I immediately emailed him the following:

I just received the lp today and the jacket is destroyed. Bent in every corner and creases everywhere. Why was this sent in a bubble mailer? This is horrendous packaging. I spent 11 dollars to have this shipped and although I thought the price was high I paid it expecting to at least receive the item in good condition.

His response was as follows:

I am sorry the package arrived not to your standards, but every other LP I have sent out (same service as yours) have had no problem and are very satisfied with their items. I apologize UPS destroyed the cover, but that is unfortunately out of my hands.

So what should I do? File a claim on Paypal? Demand a refund? Or can he really blame UPS for the fact he used a bubble mailer to ship a LP?

It's just a small seller and I believe the item is from his personal collection so that wouldn't work.

Here is my response to him.

Technically this is your responsibility as a seller to adequately pack the item you are selling. I'm sure UPS would agree. When you charge extra money for shipping the buyer expects the item to come in perfect condition. The internet is full of tips on how to package vinyl records and it amazes me this is your first complaint.

http://forums.ebay.com/thread.jspa?threadID=520136385&rw=true&anticache=1310076743951

http://vinylcollective.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56829

It's a shame that the record is damaged because I really want this record, but I cannot justify paying $36.00 for an item in this condition. I'd like some sort of refund for this or I can just send the item back and file a claim with eBay/paypal for the full amount. You can then take your complaint to UPS if you feel like this is not your fault.

This is bullshit. It still blows my mind how stupid people are when it comes to shipping stuff. To quote my buddy Devin "this is packaged like a tank". Everything I send is packaged to prevent anything from happening to it. I always package things with lazy, clumsy post office workers in mind as well as weather. Every single god damn time I go to the post office there are people with just random items, wasting everyones time, asking how to package their crap. It's really mind blowing. This doesn't apply to just records but anything. I've gotten so much stuff shipped to me in crap packages.

Out of curiosity how many feedbacks does seller have? Not that it matters but just wondering. File that claim.

I received an LP in a padded envelope once and it was completely broken in half.

It's 100% the seller's responsibility to package the item correctly. File a claim.

got a record from goner recs just like this. but they were gracious enough to refund me as the lp had sold out. luckily i wound up finding it on ebay for $4.

File a claim with ebay. Just know that if you're trying to get a full refund you'll probably have to return the item - you'll pay the return shipping (I think ebay refunds the shipping charges you paid him though). If you go for a partial refund you'll be able to keep the record. I think you have to file with ebay. I think paypal is only if you don't receive the item at all, but I'm not sure about that.

I had a situation where I bought a record that was listed as mint. When I got it, the inner sleeve (picture sleeve, not just the basic white one) was torn on one side so I got a partial refund - still wanted to keep it, but it wasn't worth what it would be mint.

On the bright side it sound like it looks better then if you would have bought it from amazon

i've bought several records from amazon and never had a problem.

Y U HATIN'?!

Yeah, I don't get that statement either. They usually arrive in a big box, but all of my orders have been really well protected. Plus, it's usually at my doorstep a couple days after I order it.

As for this EBAY GUY, if he's going to charge $11 to ship, it should come inside a padded metal briefcase.