Albums That Should Not Have Been Pressed On Vinyl

Mind me asking what bands you have in mind?

Daytrader

Such Gold

Tigers Jaw

La Dispute

Balance and Composure

Rust Belt Lights

Iron Chic

The Ergs

Blacklisted

IIOI

You can get the fuck outta here, the Ergs rule. Plus their appeal definitely reaches beyond this board. Actually, with the recent new wave of posters who get super excited about buying 8 colors of a Touche Amore record, I bet a lot of this board doesn't give a shit about the Ergs, which is a shame.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...anything that's been recorded Digitally...should most definitely not have been pressed to vinyl...why record digitally if you're putting out an Analog product....recording Analog and releasing digital makes sense to me, the other way around just seems silly

Vinyl generally has better mastering if done properly, allows for less limiting, high end distortion creates distinct "warm" tone that most people find pleasing, 24 bit digital recording offers the same audible frequency response as tape, etc. Analog recording takes a lot more time and is generally not worth the hassle and extra $ if you don't have the budget/hookups to hang out in a studio for an extended amount of time.

More than half the records you own post-2000 were most likely recorded in digital. You will never know.

• 2 weeks later...

Daytrader

Such Gold

Tigers Jaw

La Dispute

Balance and Composure

Rust Belt Lights

Iron Chic

The Ergs

Blacklisted

IIOI

Your not the same poster, so I assume you're just fucking around.

Not fucking around.

Daytrader

Such Gold

Tigers Jaw

La Dispute

Balance and Composure

Rust Belt Lights

Iron Chic

The Ergs

Blacklisted

IIOI

You can get the fuck outta here, the Ergs rule. Plus their appeal definitely reaches beyond this board. Actually, with the recent new wave of posters who get super excited about buying 8 colors of a Touche Amore record, I bet a lot of this board doesn't give a shit about the Ergs, which is a shame.

I asked my sister, mother, and gf. They haven't heard of The Ergs. They might extend a little further than here, but they haven't left the internet.

wat

also, giant LOL at the 40,000 fb likes thing.

The original post said that there is a weird chunk of music that only gets listened to around here...40k likes isn't a lot but it definitely proves that it gets listened to more people than just the people on this forum..

I guess 10,000 of their fans don't like the new album

Daytrader

Such Gold

Tigers Jaw

La Dispute

Balance and Composure

Rust Belt Lights

Iron Chic

The Ergs

Blacklisted

IIOI

the others i understand....but la dispute has 40,000 likes on facebook and they're going to be on tour with thrice and have toured with alexisonfire who've put out platinum records...

Thanks for explaining what I was getting at.

...anything that's been recorded Digitally...should most definitely not have been pressed to vinyl...why record digitally if you're putting out an Analog product....recording Analog and releasing digital makes sense to me, the other way around just seems silly

Vinyl generally has better mastering if done properly, allows for less limiting, high end distortion creates distinct "warm" tone that most people find pleasing, 24 bit digital recording offers the same audible frequency response as tape, etc. Analog recording takes a lot more time and is generally not worth the hassle and extra $ if you don't have the budget/hookups to hang out in a studio for an extended amount of time.

More than half the records you own post-2000 were most likely recorded in digital. You will never know.

I'm curious how many post-2000 digitally recorded records are recorded at less than 24 bit. I notice a huge difference between 16 bit CD and 24 bit or vinyl. I know people downplay the difference, but ask yourself... is 65,536 possible values really enough? Me, I'm more of the 16,777,216 crowd.

I will indeed know the difference....I'm not debating over the quality of the recordings....digital even at high quality has missing information that is filled in by algorythms....tape is tape, it's all there, there are obvious limitations to tape's quality and durability.....all that said and written, if you're mastering a record from digital you're essentially leaving tiny bits of audio bits abscent on the final record...most people will never hear the difference, but it's still missing. Because of this I just think digital should stay digital and analog should stay analog. I'm not wrong, you're not wrong...just difference of opinions. All that said, I hold firm that anything recorded digitally should remain in the digital realm....this won't happen, but it is indeed how I feel.

I will indeed know the difference....I'm not debating over the quality of the recordings....digital even at high quality has missing information that is filled in by algorythms....tape is tape, it's all there, there are obvious limitations to tape's quality and durability.....all that said and written, if you're mastering a record from digital you're essentially leaving tiny bits of audio bits abscent on the final record...most people will never hear the difference, but it's still missing. Because of this I just think digital should stay digital and analog should stay analog. I'm not wrong, you're not wrong...just difference of opinions. All that said, I hold firm that anything recorded digitally should remain in the digital realm....this won't happen, but it is indeed how I feel.

So, I'm curious... what new releases have you bought on vinyl this year? Or even in the last 5 years? Because almost all music today is recorded digitally.

So, I'm curious... what new releases have you bought on vinyl this year? Or even in the last 5 years? Because almost all music today is recorded digitally.

Plenty, I'm not saying I'm boycotting vinyl because the music pressed onto it is recorded digitally. Some of my favorite albums were recorded digitally and pressed to vinyl. But as far as I'm concerned, digital to digital and analog to analog makes sense....I can't change the fucking world and I'm not trying to, I love the vinyl format, I just find it a little bit backwards....

How many photographers take digital pictures and print out a paper negative out of an ink-jet printer and then try and make an analog darkroom print out of it??? Not too many...because it's silly and a bit backwards...

digital even at high quality has missing information that is filled in by algorythms....tape is tape, it's all there, there are obvious limitations to tape's quality and durability.....all that said and written, if you're mastering a record from digital you're essentially leaving tiny bits of audio bits abscent on the final record...most people will never hear the difference, but it's still missing. ...

That sounds more like upsampling, mathematically surmising what the waveform 'should' look like. Indeed recording digitally in say 16-bit 44khz a lot of information would be missing, but recording studios do not record at that low of sample rate.

I'd be curious to know what sample rate most digital recording studios use. It would seem to be all 24-bit and 48khz or better.

Personally I think that's why digital recordings sound great on vinyl- you can get all of the texture and clarity found on the original recording because LPs have a nearly infinite sample rate unlike a CD.

So I think that digital recording doesn't compromise the recording unless done poorly. Which is definitely the case with CDs.

In fact recording digitally alleviates some distortion present in recording to tape... not to mention the ability to edit more freely. That said, there is perhaps too much 'fixing' recordings during the sessions or mastering... etc.

But I like a little auto-tune.... says Justin Vernon.

I asked my sister, mother, and gf. They haven't heard of The Ergs. They might extend a little further than here, but they haven't left the internet.

My mom, sisters, and girlfriend have never heard of Husker Du.

INTERNET BAND

I don't think I've heard of a band called Husker Du....I have heard of a band called Hüsker Dü though...

maybe Husker Du is an internet band?