Albums That Should Not Have Been Pressed On Vinyl

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is some what true that there are a lot of bands that get pushed and hyped on this board that are generally unheard of outside of here. My local record store has a great selection and rarely if ever are any of the records talked about on here in that store. None of these records even turn up in used sections. On here though labels survive with variants etc.

Im not saying that those records aren't necessary, but there is a very weird chunk of music that only gets heard by members of this board.

I have noticed this too.

It is some what true that there are a lot of bands that get pushed and hyped on this board that are generally unheard of outside of here. My local record store has a great selection and rarely if ever are any of the records talked about on here in that store. None of these records even turn up in used sections. On here though labels survive with variants etc.

Im not saying that those records aren't necessary, but there is a very weird chunk of music that only gets heard by members of this board.

I have noticed this too.

Mind me asking what bands you have in mind?

Sidestepping the mud-slingin', I'd like to add:

Overpriced major label reissues, 2008-present. Now you really CAN spend ALL your money on Thin Lizzy records. I give the folks running Back To Black a pass, since they're paying licensing out the ass to reissue stuff the majors won't, plus remastering, and maybe even throwing the bands a bit of $$$ now and again. Mobile Fidelity shit is overpriced, but at least comes with the guarantee of sounding BETTER than the original pressing in most instances.

The stuff the majors do directly though? Sheeeeeeeeeit. A new $30 copy of 'Van Halen II' only serves to drive up the price of a used copy. Same goes for 'Jailbreak', etc etc et al.

Sidestepping the mud-slingin', I'd like to add:

Overpriced major label reissues, 2008-present. Now you really CAN spend ALL your money on Thin Lizzy records. I give the folks running Back To Black a pass, since they're paying licensing out the ass to reissue stuff the majors won't, plus remastering, and maybe even throwing the bands a bit of $$$ now and again. Mobile Fidelity shit is overpriced, but at least comes with the guarantee of sounding BETTER than the original pressing in most instances.

The stuff the majors do directly though? Sheeeeeeeeeit. A new $30 copy of 'Van Halen II' only serves to drive up the price of a used copy. Same goes for 'Jailbreak', etc etc et al.

Daytrader

Such Gold

Tigers Jaw

La Dispute

Balance and Composure

Rust Belt Lights

Iron Chic

The Ergs

Blacklisted

IIOI

Daytrader

Such Gold

Tigers Jaw

La Dispute

Balance and Composure

Rust Belt Lights

Iron Chic

The Ergs

Blacklisted

IIOI

the others i understand....but la dispute has 40,000 likes on facebook and they're going to be on tour with thrice and have toured with alexisonfire who've put out platinum records...

...anything that's been recorded Digitally...should most definitely not have been pressed to vinyl...why record digitally if you're putting out an Analog product....recording Analog and releasing digital makes sense to me, the other way around just seems silly

I'd disagree, if for no other reason than if it's something I like/want, I don't really care, I just want it on vinyl. if it sounds no better than the CD/mp3, some people will complain, but you haven't really "lost" anything

...anything that's been recorded Digitally...should most definitely not have been pressed to vinyl...why record digitally if you're putting out an Analog product....recording Analog and releasing digital makes sense to me, the other way around just seems silly

I'd disagree, if for no other reason than if it's something I like/want, I don't really care, I just want it on vinyl. if it sounds no better than the CD/mp3, some people will complain, but you haven't really "lost" anything

agree to disagree

Bands like that get vinyl treatment, but great band like Sugarcult gets passed over. Bleh...

wat

also, giant LOL at the 40,000 fb likes thing.

The original post said that there is a weird chunk of music that only gets listened to around here...40k likes isn't a lot but it definitely proves that it gets listened to more people than just the people on this forum..