Scammed again by bullshit claims of ltd pressings!

The same day as my new War On Drugs Slave Ambient (red vinyl limited to 75 copies from SC) shows up at my door, I get the Insound newsletter telling me I can now get it from them ON RED VINYL! WTF? *EDIT* I also just found out that my local independent record store is also carrying this on red vinyl. Really?!

This issue has been driving me batshit lately! It needs its own thread because I know it's been happening a lot lately. I had this problem with the Black Keys The Big Come Up reverse cover limited to 100 copies that turned out to be 2000! And then again with Blitzen Trapper's American Goldwing being limited to 150 on white vinyl only to find out that SubPop was getting another 300 on white.

It's not like I want my money back or anything but this is a blatantly misleading practice that takes advantage of us collectors who are enticed by limited run vinyl.

Anyone else been screwed over lately by this bait and switch routine?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what sucks is the false advertising. once the record's in hand, it sounds no different and is just as awesome.

still, i am definitely guilty of not being too happy from time to time when this happens.

only fix would be a regulatory way to hold accountable those who release pressing info. but that's not possible. oh well.

what sucks is the false advertising. once the record's in hand, it sounds no different and is just as awesome.

Agreed. I remember buying Big Boi's last album directly from his site, which was purportedly the only place to get it on white vinyl, only to find out that dozens of other places had it. It all sounds the same, so wasn't a big deal to me whatsoever, but the false advertising was annoying.

I'm not saying that this "bait and switch" doesn't happen sometimes but other times I think maybe just the advertising is misleading rather than completely incorrect.

The SC site for the war on drugs pre-order says "LTD. EDITION RED VINYL AVAILABLE TO FIRST 75 ORDERS!" It doesn't say that the record is limited to 75 copies on red, although I can obviously see how you would think that. Maybe 1000 copies were pressed on red, SC kept 75 for their own mail order and distributed the rest. Not completely incorrect or false information, just unclear advertising.

Also sometimes records will be advertised as "first pressing of 1000" or something like that, but that doesn't mean there won't be more pressed. But a store gets that info and runs with it, rather than thinking there will maybe be more pressed in the future.

I don't think it's always a scam.

Just started collecting and I'm already dreading this scenario. I read all over the internet about vinyl is the middle of a comeback of sorts (2.8 million sold in 2010), who's to say the OOP stuff I just dropped a few benjamins on won't be repressed in time for Xmas?

it probably will be. <3

Just started collecting and I'm already dreading this scenario. I read all over the internet about vinyl is the middle of a comeback of sorts (2.8 million sold in 2010), who's to say the OOP stuff I just dropped a few benjamins on won't be repressed in time for Xmas?

Thats collecting for you.

who's to say the OOP stuff I just dropped a few benjamins on won't be repressed in time for Xmas?

then don't be a dolt and drop benjamins over some Wonder Years or Tigers Jaw record.

Never heard of either of them, so no worries there.

Is this a real post?

Why be facetious? It was an honest question from an honestly new vinyl person. Enlighten me like the potential customer of yours I truly am.

Wasn't trying to be a dick, I seriously thought it was a fake post.

I mean I wouldn't worry about stuff like that to be honest, when it comes to the more expensive shit it usually retains its value in the end

Cool. It's hard to know what to think when you see some things pressed once and never again, then something else pressed a dozen times in 14 flavors (well, besides "I have to have them ALL" if it's a band you really like). How does a repress come about, under what conditions, etc.?

Why do I feel like I just pitted everyone against one another.

Let's talk about how awesome this album is instead

...and trust me, SC is not trying to pull a fast one on you. If you really want I can find out exactly what happened

The LP is awesome. And I clearly misinterpreted what "the first 75 get it on red vinyl" meant. I just think things need to be made clearer when mentioning numbers and limited availability.

And regarding comments about this being a "hobby", I may not always know if I want to buy a record when a pre-order goes up, especially an album I've never heard in its entirety (such as Slave Ambient) but if it's reported to be limited, it will most likely sway my decision to pull the trigger in order not to miss out. And if given the choice between a color that is limited to 75 or one from an unlimited run of black; I'll take the color every time. Wouldn't you?

I don't own any variants (except for the Beatles UK vs US versions) and I don't own anything I don't enjoy listening to. You heard me say it before in other threads; Like music, buy music, listen to music.