Vinyl Prices

dreamover

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

look at the cat running with his tail between his legs. love it.
what?

You like making something out of nothing. You just like arguing everything someone who likes music you don't like says. You're just arrogant.

and there is no arrogance about saying everyone who charges more than a certain price for records (don't forget, which you have done yourse;f) should fuck off? if you're going to say people shouldnt do something it would help if you dont do it yourself. also never mentioned anything about anyone's musical taste, not in this thread, not anywhere else either. i just point out asshole, hypocrites and stupidity, which you fall under all 3. if i ruffle a few feathers or don't ruffle any feathers, i don't care one way or the other. it's just plain fun watching people like you get all worked up and defensive. especially after they get caught and either have to admit they were wrong or try and fail to weasel their way out of it.

look at the cat running with his tail between his legs. love it.
what?

You like making something out of nothing. You just like arguing everything someone who likes music you don't like says. You're just arrogant.

and there is no arrogance about saying everyone who charges more than a certain price for records (don't forget, which you have done yourself) should fuck off? if you're going to say people shouldnt do something it would help if you dont do it yourself. also never mentioned anything about anyone's musical taste, not in this thread, not anywhere else either. i just point out assholes, hypocrites and all around stupidity. you fall under all 3. if i ruffle a few feathers or don't ruffle any feathers, i don't care one way or the other. it's just plain fun watching people like you get all worked up and defensive. especially after they get caught and either have to admit they were wrong or try and fail to weasel their way out of it.

what?

and there is no arrogance about saying everyone who charges more than a certain price for records (don't forget, which you have done yourself) should fuck off? if you're going to say people shouldnt do something it would help if you dont do it yourself. also never mentioned anything about anyone's musical taste, not in this thread, not anywhere else either. i just point out assholes, hypocrites and all around stupidity. you fall under all 3. if i ruffle a few feathers or don't ruffle any feathers, i don't care one way or the other. it's just plain fun watching people like you get all worked up and defensive. especially after they get caught and either have to admit they were wrong or try and fail to weasel their way out of it.

I'm worked up? You're the one who hides behind your computer. I have a feeling you post under a different username. You came out swinging out of nowhere from the beginning. And did I not explain myself about having to charge more for certain editions? Name one record I have sold that wasn't available in some format for $13 or under. If you dont want a test, I'm not holding a gun to your head. Buy the regular edition. My prices were never unreasonable.

By the way, did you not realize my first post was to, as you say, "ruffle feathers". Your replies are as predictable as you are.

Also, people overseas that think we have it good because they have to pay 20 bucks for an LP, keep in mind that our currency is in the shitter, 1 euro is almost double what 1 U.S dollar is worth.

If you're talking about how the minimum wage in America is lower than it is in other places, then fair enough.

But if you're talking about dollar for dollar conversion, I think you're missing something. $1USD = $0.97AUD at the moment. So if a 12" costs $10 in America it should cost $9.70 in Australia right? But our 12"s are at least $20. That's $20.64USD. Unless the average Australian record collector is earning twice the amount of the average American record collector, the average American record collector is going to get the better deal.

Yeah Europe will be a little different to Australia, but I just felt like doing some simple math.

What people are missing in this thread is that many times independent labels are releasing records that would otherwise from a monetary perspective not have the demand needed to be pressed.

If i'm a label and I love a record that isn't very popular, but I think the demand for the record isn't enough to sell a record for $13 a pop and break even, what is wrong with releasing the record that otherwise wouldn't be pressed and charging $19.99 to get at least close to covering my costs when I run the risk of selling only 100 of the 500 copies I pressed?

Those 100 people who loved the album and would otherwise have no chance of seeing the record pressed will be happy, the person who decided to release it won't be totally broke and the catalog of vinyl available to the public will grow. How is that not a positive for the world of music?

General rule for imported goods in Europe is 1 euro = 1 dollar. Not matter if it is vinyl, computers or whatever luxury good it is. (it works close enough 90% of the time)

So lets say an LP is 13 dollars in the USA, it would 13 euros here which actually is 17.93 dollars.

It is not too bad, but if labels start asking 20 dollars for a single LP, imported here it would be around 27.59 dollars aka way to much.

Also I found this inflation calculator (http://www.westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi):

3.50 dollars in 1983 would be 7.56 dollars in 2010.

9 dollars in 1998 would be 11.98 dollars in 2010.

11 dollars in 2010 would be 5.09 dollars in 1983 and 8.27 dollars in 1998.

15 dollars in 2010 would be 6.94 dollars in 1983 and 11.27 dollars in 1998.

20 dollars in 2010 would be 9.26 dollars in 1983 and 15.03 dollars in 1998.

Conclusion Dischord records rules and Hydreahead not so much. Majorlabels overcharge again just like they did with cd's.

What people are missing in this thread is that many times independent labels are releasing records that would otherwise from a monetary perspective not have the demand needed to be pressed.

If i'm a label and I love a record that isn't very popular, but I think the demand for the record isn't enough to sell a record for $13 a pop and break even, what is wrong with releasing the record that otherwise wouldn't be pressed and charging $19.99 to get at least close to covering my costs when I run the risk of selling only 100 of the 500 copies I pressed?

Those 100 people who loved the album and would otherwise have no chance of seeing the record pressed will be happy, the person who decided to release it won't be totally broke and the catalog of vinyl available to the public will grow. How is that not a positive for the world of music?

if you can't afford to take the potential financial loss of only selling 100 out of 500 copies, you probably shouldn't be pressing that record.

don't pass the repurcussions of your dumb decision on to the customer by jacking the price up for them.

Wait, people think download codes have some sort of value?

Marginally. I don't think I've ever purchased a record becuase it included a download code. But it definitely can't hurt.

I often have that moment where I think: "Oh, isn't that nice that they included a download card? Too bad I already downloaded this from the internet already. That's why I'm buying the darn record!"

if you can't afford to take the potential financial loss of only selling 100 out of 500 copies, you probably shouldn't be pressing that record.

don't pass the repurcussions of your dumb decision on to the customer by jacking the price up for them.

The label wouldn't be passing anything onto the customer besides the opportunity to own a record that otherwise wouldn't be pressed. Please explain to me, how is that a bad thing?

The label wouldn't be passing anything onto the customer besides the opportunity to own a record that otherwise wouldn't be pressed. Please explain to me, how is that a bad thing?

i just did explain that, but i shall reiterate for you:

paying $20 for a record vs $13 is a bad thing because that's a huge price hike for the customer, based on you assuming that the records won't sell.

so really, you're just exploiting those 100 people you know will buy the record regardless of the price.

Also, people overseas that think we have it good because they have to pay 20 bucks for an LP, keep in mind that our currency is in the shitter, 1 euro is almost double what 1 U.S dollar is worth.

If you're talking about how the minimum wage in America is lower than it is in other places, then fair enough.

But if you're talking about dollar for dollar conversion, I think you're missing something. $1USD = $0.97AUD at the moment. So if a 12" costs $10 in America it should cost $9.70 in Australia right? But our 12"s are at least $20. That's $20.64USD. Unless the average Australian record collector is earning twice the amount of the average American record collector, the average American record collector is going to get the better deal.

Yeah Europe will be a little different to Australia, but I just felt like doing some simple math.

Why are Australian records so damn expensive? I want that Australian version of the new Samiam LP but $22 plus shipping to the US i looking at almost $40 ppd. If thats what its like for you guys there I don't know how you do it.

paying $20 for a record vs $13 is a bad thing because that's a huge price hike for the customer, based on you assuming that the records won't sell.

so really, you're just exploiting those 100 people you know will buy the record regardless of the price.

You wouldn't be exploiting anyone, nor would you be hiking the price up from $13 to $20 because the customers would never have the opportunity to buy it for $13 because it isn't financially viable for anyone to release it at that price point.

Somehow getting the license to Deja Entendu, printing it on 10 different colors, limiting each to 100 and charging $39.99 is exploitation.

Finding a local band you love, and releasing their record that otherwise would never be printed while marking up the price to at least get close to covering your costs is not exploitation.

I would easily pay a label $25 if someone took the initiative (and risk) to put my favorite local band Sea Bass on wax. I would know that they are probably going to lose money to begin with, and that I would otherwise not have the opportunity to purchase that record. As a customer I wouldn't feel "exploited", I would feel like a got a great record I love while also supporting the local music scene (and maybe keep the label above water enough to release more local records)

You wouldn't be exploiting anyone, nor would you be hiking the price up from $13 to $20 because the customers would never have the opportunity to buy it for $13 because it isn't financially viable for anyone to release it at that price point.

[image]

[image]

Intelligent, well thought out rebuttal. Would read again A+++

basic supply and demand is not exploitation. if 100 people are comfortable paying $20 for a record, they are not being exploited.