New Facebook Update

i kind of agree with the people saying that overreacting is stupid (i.e. that webcomic), but at the same time, it is annoying that they keep making these arbitrary changes that really don't add anything. granted, the new chat system ended up wroking out okay because it left the people i talk to most at the top, but why not just let me choose who i talk to most (like i already had done, in a list called 'people i talk to' rather than facebook trying to guess who i wanted to talk to at any time)

and the little mini-feed above the chat is really the dumbest thing they've added in a while, i can't see myself ever thinking it's useful, but like others are pointing out, it's not really a big deal and i, like the other 750 million, will deal with it and life will go on.

also the facebook iphone app is all but unusable on my phone...super slow and almost always crashes, is anyone else's like that

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been on Facebook since 2004 and I never understood all the bitching when it updated, but I really am turned off by this one.

I like reading things chronologically and deciding for myself what an important update is. I don't like seeing the "top stories", so I always changed it to whatever the other option was, the chronological one. Now it's all one clustered fuck, and that's without taking into account the non-stop " 'Johnny did X' just now" bullshit on the side.

Basically, it's a cluttered mess and I don't give a shit what FB thinks my top stories are. I just want to leisurely read through what people posted in order when I have 15 minutes to waste.

On the other hand, it looks like Facebook has given that leg up to Google + that they've been looking for for awhile now. They're certainly taking advantage as these updates come right as the 90 day beta period of the platform is ending and the site is being opened to all users with no requirement of invites.

also - i always have one unread message when i open fbook, and half the time it's a message i sent. it's just gotten very un-user friendly

I've noticed this when I'm in the middle of talking to someone using the chat feature since now all conversations are logged as a long string of FB message exchanges as well.

End Moral for all of this: We should all probably be spending less time on Facebook.

Yeah, as some have mentioned in the thread, it isn't necessarily updates that bother me, but rather Facebook thinking they know who I want to talk to, what I want to read, and who I should be friends with. I'm a big boy, I can make those sorts of decisions myself.

I nearly deleted my Facebook last year when I found out they were filtering my feed by default and only showing me updates from certain friends that they thought I wanted to interract with. That just seemed wrong to me. (Admittedly I rarely use Facebook anymore these days, but for some reason I decided against deleting at the time)

Firstly, they don't fucking switch it weekly or anything close to that often.

Stop bitching, you get used to it in 30 minutes use.

So far every UI update has been better than the previous. I don't know about the chat ones though because I haven't used chat in a year and a bit, but someone else mentioned the chat update was also good. So it looks like everything they're doing is good.

Just shut up and get to know the new UI instead of bitching about it every time, then a week later not even remembering that it got changed.

The only genuinely bad thing you should be complaining about is that the thing up the right tells you when your friends comment on people's shit that you aren't even friends with. That's silly.

If you're overtly annoyed at the "Top Stories" nonsense on your feed, follow this link and walks you through changing a setting to just have "Recent Stories" and pretty much all chronological in the feed. Justin S. posted this and so far seems to be working OK.

http://wwcomputerrepair.webege.com/2011/09/how-to-change-your-facebook-news-feed-back-to-normal/

Firstly, they don't fucking switch it weekly or anything close to that often.

Stop bitching, you get used to it in 30 minutes use.

So far every UI update has been better than the previous. I don't know about the chat ones though because I haven't used chat in a year and a bit, but someone else mentioned the chat update was also good. So it looks like everything they're doing is good.

Just shut up and get to know the new UI instead of bitching about it every time, then a week later not even remembering that it got changed.

The only genuinely bad thing you should be complaining about is that the thing up the right tells you when your friends comment on people's shit that you aren't even friends with. That's silly.

Is this like a predominance-M. Night Shyamalan-"I'm going to be condescending even though I use Facebook but think I'm above it" kind of thing?

Last time I checked, nobody in this thread had ignited torches or posted pictures of their pitch-fork.

ok. now that ive used facebook a bit more since the update, yeah now i understand this being a crappy update. that sidebar is fucking stalkerish- i dont want to stalk. i hardly give a damn about peoples posts never mind every last thing they do.

They apparently heard the outcry about the "don't tell me what statuses I should read!" bit and added another mini-update to allow you to skip to the recent updates in chronological order.

I just think it's comical how they panicked about google+ and copied everything entirely. Even the link to your profile next to the settings link is the same as Google+.

It's still a cluttered shithole of a site tho. There's like 84 things going on in the main page.